Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

McDonald Jones Homes - The new thread

Page 717 of 723
Hi guys long time since I’ve been on here.
It’s been 2 year since we had moved into our MJH.
Just wanting to see how other people have gone with defects and major issues that have come up. We have noticed this week our main bathroom tiles have cracked on the wall. The whole length of the bathroom on baton walls at the height of 1330mm high. I have also had tis crack in our ensuite but that is only villa board painted. And that is why I know it is actually where the joins in the sheets are behind the tiles. MDJ has told me I now have to go thru home owners warrenty as it’s just over 2 year and it’s minor works and they look at this.
I would say it’s something structural as it’s the whole bathroom and to be at that point where sheets join something is wrong.
Anyone seen this

We paid our deposit the on the weekend with MJH. We are building the Edenvale 37 with Malibu facade / Hebel construction and 18 month tender. Colour walkthrough appointment is 14th March. Land registers later this year.
We started our journey 2015 it seem there is a 4 month delay on default inspection. Oh and we are still waiting for a reply to correspondence we sent and which they received early September. Maybe fair trading would be or more assistance
ourforeverhome
We started our journey 2015 it seem there is a 4 month delay on default inspection. Oh and we are still waiting for a reply to correspondence we sent and which they received early September. Maybe fair trading would be or more assistance

Hi ourfoeverhome, we are disappointed to hear this, are you able to private message us with your job number and best contact details and we can investigate this for you? Many thank the MJH team.
I have message before and sent emails and had no replies
gohmsen
Hi guys long time since I’ve been on here.
It’s been 2 year since we had moved into our MJH.
Just wanting to see how other people have gone with defects and major issues that have come up. We have noticed this week our main bathroom tiles have cracked on the wall. The whole length of the bathroom on baton walls at the height of 1330mm high. I have also had tis crack in our ensuite but that is only villa board painted. And that is why I know it is actually where the joins in the sheets are behind the tiles. MDJ has told me I now have to go thru home owners warrenty as it’s just over 2 year and it’s minor works and they look at this.
I would say it’s something structural as it’s the whole bathroom and to be at that point where sheets join something is wrong.
Anyone seen this

Isn't that pretty poor form.

We are basically in the same boat - cracked tiles. We were told directly by Mcdonald Jones Homes that tiling comes with a two year warranty and that our 3 year build was basically sweet out of luck. It's very hard to believe that something as solid as tiling can have a warranty shorter than most consumables in every day life.

Here are our tiling cracks which we believe are due to poor workmanship;

Hi All,

Just a quick question on the Alarm system package. Has anyone recently gone through the Electrical appointment and chosen to upgrade their standard alarm package to pet sensors? Reason for asking is that the electrical price-estimate brochure states that it would cost $90 to upgrade the existing included detectors to pet friendly.

However, the price charged for us is $90 * 3 = $270 (standard package has 3 included detectors). When asked about this, McDonald Jones mentioned that the $90 price is for a single detector (which contradicts the statement made in the price estimate document).

Just wanted to understand what others have been charged around this?

Thanks in Advance.
Hi All,

We are building Miami 16 in Box Hill with some modifications to the standard floor plan. Initial deposit paid to MJH. We are exploring Casacde & Balinese Resort façade but struggling to make decision. So can anyone share some pics of either of these facades?

Thanks in Advance.
Taurian_ankit
Hi All,

We are building Miami 16 in Box Hill with some modifications to the standard floor plan. Initial deposit paid to MJH. We are exploring Casacde & Balinese Resort façade but struggling to make decision. So can anyone share some pics of either of these facades?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi, we are building the Miami 31 which is the QLD equivalent. Only just starting the process but will be great to follow on with anyone else building the Miami 😊 We chose the Cascade D facade and increased the height of the portico from 200mm-400
What is the standard variance for door heights from the sub floor/ concrete, ours varies 28 - 40 mm, with carpet we will have a 22mm gap under the door and with flooring a whopping 32mm under our bedroom door, all the doors have different heights which is doing our flooring guys head in. As per usual macjones dont care and say hey its a prehung door? No there are building standards guys but interested to know what everyone else has under the door. Also clean up before handover , is it acceptable to dig a hole or holes and bury the crap like long blue metal beams , and do macjones have to take away the driveway rubble they put down for access , cause we are being told its our problem , thats a good ton or more of rubble to take to a tip ? Thoughts please
We were left with a lot of rubbish to move not just excess building scrap but a lot of empty food packets, gloves and things the tradies had just threw down. Although with the problems with the house that was the least of our problems. But it does cost to have it removed.
For those who were past their tender expiration and were not able to start building yet, how much did you need to pay extra for an extension? We bought an unregistered land and are already past our price lock. Any suggestions on how to negotiate with MJH on this circumstance?
I briefly looked into building with McD and from memory, they charge $1000 per month for maximum six months, then will reprice your tender at their current base rate.
Hi All,

Anyone building The Garden Retreat ? What would be the site cost and basix for less than a meter fall. Can anyone guide me with this. Thank you
does anyone have plans with dimensions of the Miami 16 elite they could post?
matt68

We are building the Miami 31 which is the qld version of the miami 16 executive. So it may be similar? If not, you should be able to get room sizes etc off their website.
kailie86
matt68

We are building the Miami 31 which is the qld version of the miami 16 executive. So it may be similar? If not, you should be able to get room sizes etc off their website

Yep I have the room sizes, not all the info on hallways,living areas.. etc
matt68
kailie86
matt68

We are building the Miami 31 which is the qld version of the miami 16 executive. So it may be similar? If not, you should be able to get room sizes etc off their website

Yep I have the room sizes, not all the info on hallways,living areas.. etc

I can scan our A3 plans with the dimensions and message them to you later tonight if you'd like. Check out our thread with our plans and just check that they're the same.
kailie86

I can scan our A3 plans with the dimensions and message them to you later tonight if you'd like. Check out our thread with our plans and just check that they're the same.

That would be great if possible! many thanks
kremitz
For those who were past their tender expiration and were not able to start building yet, how much did you need to pay extra for an extension? We bought an unregistered land and are already past our price lock. Any suggestions on how to negotiate with MJH on this circumstance?

They will pay you half of the difference of the new price.
Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum