Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

McDonald Jones Homes - The new thread

Page 655 of 723
milby
Love your choices bigleftone!

We have the urban one silver bricks also with a monument roof. Be prepared for them to look a bit different to your pic though - they are definitely more "silver" in real life and less creamy.

Yeah have to agree but we went an looked at all the colors we liked on finished houses an it was the one that stood out bricks was the hardest choice in the whole thing from my point anyway.

Well it's been a fair white since my last post, but our building is moving along steadily.

Started late September. We had the frame up, roof on and bricks started by Christmas. The brickie was due to start back on the 4th Jan, perfectly timed for 2 weeks of dreadful weather! He got stuck in once it cleared up and as of last week we were locked up. Gyprock is done and the Kitchen should have arrived today, tiles next week.

We've had a great Site Supervisor however due to some restructuring we'll have to swap next week. Would have been nice to keep the same one through the whole build.

I guess we're looking at 6-8 weeks till completion now. Starting to get close!
Bigleftone love your choices. What floor boards have you choosen? What type if through Mac jones?
Great progress gavandheather!
So exciting getting towards the end!

I too have been stoked with my site supervisor. He has been really accomodating so far and everything has run so smoothly.

I am building in Edmondson Park under Liverpool Council. MDJ advised that CDC application will take 4 to 8 weeks when it was lodged.
does that really take that long or they just advise long just to avoid from client inquires?
Dreambuild12
Bigleftone love your choices. What floor boards have you choosen? What type if through Mac jones?

Its vinyl floor its gerflor buffalo an its through mdj same price as all the flooring places around here.

aHomeHunt
I am building in Edmondson Park under Liverpool Council. MDJ advised that CDC application will take 4 to 8 weeks when it was lodged.
does that really take that long or they just advise long just to avoid from client inquires?

I don't specifically know about that council sorry but i thought the cdc process was intended to be faster than DA? Our DA was about 7 weeks i think but CDC here was under 2 weeks. They may be covering their butt by saying 4-8 weeks but every council is different with their timing too.
krishhd
milby
krishhd
Hi All,

We are building A Douglas 28 at Willowdale. I am looking at upgrading the roof and wall insulation. Anyone else opted to upgrade?? If yes, how much do they charge?

Appreciate your response

I never heard of a Douglas before so i had to look it up!
How much are you wanting to upgrade the insulation? I don't know much about it but my understanding is that what MJH offers is quite decent.

Thanks for the response.

The floor plans are attached for reference. There aren't any display homes available for Douglas. This is a home design for narrow blocks.

Reg Insulation, I might be able to look at 3-4K upgrade for the insulation, considering that there are others items that I plan to upgrade after the colour selection appointment. I have already requested to include the below important upgrades.
1. Window to the kitchen behind range hood
2. Increase door and window height throughout the house to match the higher ceiling of 2.7m
3. Increase kitchen slab thickened to 40mm

Please let me know your thoughts.

Hi krishhd,

I found a blog from a couple who has built Douglas, slightly different to your Douglas 28. Hope that helps.

http://markm1962.blogspot.com.au/

That's awesome. Thanks Ganilton. This will help me a lot

krishhd
That's awesome. Thanks Ganilton. This will help me a lot

Hi Krishs,

Just read your post and the douglas which you're building is quite similar to the Cordova Two which we are building.

Happy to field any questions you might have.
We have not long been advised we need a retaining wall prior to slab going down?? (SURPRISE) Anyone recommend someone in Newcastle area. We need for early/mid March? Excited to be starting our build.
Thanks all.
Good Morning Everyone,

I run the local Facebook Community Group for Willowdale and would love for you to all join. On this page i give local area information. For example:

Local schools, shops, things to do (with or without children), links to finding out where your da is with the local councils etc.

Id love for you to all join. I update daily.

https://www.facebook.com/Willowdale-Est ... 365748007/

Cheers ,
Amy
Good Morning Everyone,

I run the local Facebook Community Group for Willowdale and would love for you to all join. On this page i give local area information. For example:

Local schools, shops, things to do (with or without children), links to finding out where your da is with the local councils etc.

Id love for you to all join. I update daily.

https://www.facebook.com/Willowdale-Est ... 365748007/

Cheers ,
Amy
aHomeHunt

By law CDC approval should take no longer than 20 days. I confirmed this with NSW Environment and Planning when MDJH advised it'll take 4-6 wks approval through CDC....I'm thinking no freaking way. If it takes longer that 20 days, a complaint can be lodged.

My theory is MDJH already have a schedule for when they want a build to start (those close to DA or CDC approval stage).
Coz once you receive plan approvals and give it to your lender, usually takes a day or 2 for them to issue Authority to Commence Construction.

Again this is another exercise of builders to give info to customers and thinking they won't know any better and question these. My suggestion, if in doubt, question them and do your research.
Have anyone exceeded their 12 months tender? if so, what is the process? do they charge the new base price or is it still $1000 a month until we hit construction list.

Our CLO couldn't provide us with a straight answer which is frustrating!
Our block was cut last Wednesday - as was stated on soil tests the rear of the cut has hit Shale so just sorting this out then hopefully form work and slab should follow soon.
Jazz926
Have anyone exceeded their 12 months tender? if so, what is the process? do they charge the new base price or is it still $1000 a month until we hit construction list.

Hi Jazz,
I went past the 12 month tender. And yes, i was able to negotiate a further 6 months extension for 6K.
I found doing this was cheaper, as the base price of the house we are building has increased by about 20K
cheers
Jazz926

Hi Jazz

Have you started to build yet? It seems like yesterday when we both were at colours around the same time. We have been in our new home since early December, which was about six weeks early. Very very happy with the house. We were told if we went past the tender time, that the best was to pay $ 1,000 per month. We did not have to pay, as we were 2-3 days with in the the deadline date. I also have been told that our home has gone up by about $ 20k now.
Davidr13
Jazz926

Hi Jazz

Have you started to build yet? It seems like yesterday when we both were at colours around the same time. We have been in our new home since early December, which was about six weeks early. Very very happy with the house. We were told if we went past the tender time, that the best was to pay $ 1,000 per month. We did not have to pay, as we were 2-3 days with in the the deadline date. I also have been told that our home has gone up by about $ 20k now.

Hi David,

Not yet
. Our land only got registered earlier today! Like you David we were told the base price on our house have went up by 20k as well!

Zappa, thanks and that is good to know. Will try to push for the same solution.
I was told recently they are no longer using Soundshield. They are now using an acoustic wall insulation instead. I saw the batts during our electrical walk through a few weeks ago.
Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum