Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

sizes of fridge and microwave spaces

Page 1 of 1
So our builder wants the demensions of the opening for the fridge and microwave.
We are to get both of these new for the house so dont want to use the sizes of our current fridge and microwave.
For the fridge we are going to get a double door ice maker and a relatively large one at that. What size fridge opening do you have and how much either side do you have? we will only have a small gap cause i dont wnt to store anything either side of the fridge.

The same for the microwave, we are after a large (not the largest though) microwave so need the sizing for that too.

Thanks
xox
My advise would be to go to a shop and see what ones you would be keen on and find out the space they need and use that as a baseline for the size you need, because it also depends if you want to have the empty space as little as you want to fit in what you want, or have it bigger to leave room for future purchases as well but have the bigger space around the ones you buy.
I've selected our new fridge but won't order it for another two months. I did however go and get the required dimensions from it for the opening-luckily because the height allowance for our opening was listed at 1800mm but we will require 1900mm.....
RoadkillNZ
My advise would be to go to a shop and see what ones you would be keen on and find out the space they need and use that as a baseline for the size you need, because it also depends if you want to have the empty space as little as you want to fit in what you want, or have it bigger to leave room for future purchases as well but have the bigger space around the ones you buy.

Good advice
RoadkillNZ

haha
i was also going to write that i could easily do that (and am doing that tomorrow) but kinda wanted some measurements tonight,
Thanks for your advice. great minds think alike.
If you want to do it tonight and know what Fridge/Freezer and Mircowave maker you want to go with you can go to thier websites and find ones you like, and they should have the size of them as well as required space beside them so you don't cook the motors and you can do that at anytime of day or night.
RoadkillNZ
as well as required space beside them so you don't cook the motors and you can do that at anytime of day or night.

Very important if you want your white goods to last, they need breathing space for the heat exchanger to operate. When we did our research, we found most side by side fridges were 900mm. The builder said that most people go for 950mm. But we opted to widen this again to 1000mm (1 meter) Its not a lot of difference, but it should help air to flow around the fridge
thanks for that roadkill, never thought of that. will do
Lunchtime
RoadkillNZ
as well as required space beside them so you don't cook the motors and you can do that at anytime of day or night.

Very important if you want your white goods to last, they need breathing space for the heat exchanger to operate. When we did our research, we found most side by side fridges were 900mm. The builder said that most people go for 950mm. But we opted to widen this again to 1000mm (1 meter) Its not a lot of difference, but it should help air to flow around the fridge

Or maybe even have a vent in the space above the fridge into the ceiling space so the hot air can just go straight up - there is often an airgap behind the cupboards above the fridge. Would just want something you could possibly close in winter if it gets cold.
Related
31/12/2023
Measuring drill bits sizes

General Discussion

I have a box of quality drill bits that seem to be new but their engraved sizes covered by rust ,,,,I tried to sand them to see their sizes but still I am finding…

23/03/2024
Fridge Freezer not working after trying to run on Generator

Kitchen Appliances

I had a similar issue with my fridge not too long ago. It wasn't the same model, but the symptoms were pretty much the same: the compressor would start and then stop…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum