Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom Design floor plan thread post them here!!

Page 66 of 113
jodge
Pete_n_Pet
Have thought of another way to do it if you still want the garage attached to the house. Bring the garage to the entry boundary (ie. don't drive on to your property first before entering the garage, enter the garage straight away).

I will ponder this further .... but am being distracted by Jodge's design .....

oooh, that certainly would save on driveway costs! Council may have a minimum setback though. .. but absolutely no reason why you couldn't bring the garage forward to the setback line and utilize the back area. . . or even extend the garage to give you a workshop or storage space at the back.

Yeah, I was wondering about what council might require regarding setback from boundaries. However, even if setback by 1-2 m, it will still give more northerly access into the building. Given the unusual street access anyway, you may be able to argue for an exemption from standard setbacks?? Ring council and check. If you can, I'd seriously consider doing that. Saves on driveway costs and gives you more useable land for your own privacy. The downside is that you don't have extra parking space (off street) for visitors .....
. . . or if you fill the garage up with crap and don't have room to park the cards inside (like we have). . .
How big are your cards?
Kiwi, thanks for your constructive comment. . . Off to the study with you, Thomas the tank is waiting for you!
Playroom.
No more studying here!!!
Great work Jodge - I should've stayed up. The rooms are good sizes for a house on a smallish block. Bedrooms on the east, kids separate. Big kitchen and laundry. Ticks a lot of boxes.
I'm gonna burn your playhouse down, pretty soooooon!

Bit of 80's pop for you there.

Yeah planfan? Where were you? I can't believe you'd stand me up like that!

Well, moving on! Obviously it's no architectural masterpiece, but it's only a first concept. No use putting too much effort into the details unless clueless is happy to run with the overall concept. Like kiwi, I'm not a fan of separated bathrooms, I think I'd rather have a powder room instead if the walk in linen and put the toilet and vanity in the main bathroom.
Wow, nice work thanks jodge... And I thought I had a lot to think about before

Not sure about the rectangular box, but these things can be tweaked. I'll run it past the boss lady later today and see what she thinks.
I didn't expect you to be so quick Jodge and I had a whodunnit to finish.
I'd rather keep the toilet out of the bathroom.
I'm not keen on the Home theatre position-you have to go past all the sleeping areas to access it-not much good if the kiddies are sleeping and the adults want to rank up the volume!

A covered walkway would be one solution to traisping through the garden-but as previously mentioned would eat into the small amount of green space available...
Would also remind me of the schoolyard walkways!
As I've mentioned in the past- I look at plans as a prospective purchaser..and there is no way I'd be buying a newly built house in this day & age on this size block if there was no direct access from garage to house.
Deemaree
As I've mentioned in the past- I look at plans as a prospective purchaser..and there is no way I'd be buying a newly built house in this day & age on this size block if there was no direct access from garage to house.

I agree with this. There'd have to be a good (& obvious) reason why the garage isn't connected directly to the house.
It's always easy to pick faults, how about some suggestions?
buy smaller cards?
Smart cards!

We can debate the garage issue, but Ray's family's personal preference will win. I think I'd rather have a large living area facing North.

It's a difficult block, something's gotta give.
he lives in adelaide. does it rain much there?

if he lived in qld, i would be having a garage attached.
if you have never had an attached garage that your car can fit into...it is HEAVEN
esp if it is raining and you have kids.
every day I thank myself for putting one on my house..drive in, dog jumps out, all inside to the house..LOVE IT

for me it would win over a back yard. we only cut ours..dont really sit out in it,sit on the deck, but when my kids were little..used the yard ALL the time.

we have a trampoline..that gets used, lucky, cos otherwise no one would go on the grass!!!

a north facing yard is lovely. esp in winter etc
better than a south, like he has in his design...however, maybe in adelaide south is preferable cos of the EXTREME heat and you want the house to shade it in summer ??

i also agree re theatre needs to be on its own.

but ray's mrs can give us her 2 cents and we can go from there
kiwi
but ray's mrs can give us her 2 cents and we can go from there

I'm waiting for the feedback from Clueless and Co after they get a chance to review it. No point in tweaking the fine point if there are some aspects that are non-negotiable.
I agree

kiwi

we have a trampoline..that gets used, lucky, cos otherwise no one would go on the grass!!!

And you live in the country!!!
we sit inside and look out at the views.

or now the kids are older they go out to 'kick the rugby ball' around

we need a swing set with bars, then I think we would go outside more and oh, get rid of ipads, iphones, playstation and computers...
and tell em to build a fort!!
Related
4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum