Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who is building with Beechwood

Page 16 of 788
Hi Everyone

LTD i also wanted Allworth due to the fact they build in 14 weeks can u believe that. My block was i think minimum rise but they wouldnt do it.I think its to do with the slab type.I couldnt understand there reply as i was dissapointed at the time they phoned. Although they refunded my $500.

Sarbear- I have chosen Urban Almond. Make sure the sample u get is from the new batch made here in NSW i think from memory. They told me they used to be made in QLD but had been affected by the floods. I visited Austral today at Newcastle and the new batch is a little lighter and not as creamy but i am still happy with it.

She did say they had no trouble with the Urban but the Hayman(i think) sometimes gets a little green spec in every 10m bricks or so.Not sure which is better quality though.Thats one question i forgot to ask.

Are u going dark roof and windows ? They gave me some addresses although it was the older batches and i was quite happy with the look.

I am so over bricks it was the hardest choice of all.

I visited the HIA building also in Mayfield today. I have seen it as i drove past and decided to call in. It is great place they have displays of kitchens/bathrooms/windows/outside living/tapware. Ideal for anyone renovating.

Weather has held of today so with a bit of luck the BW workers were out in force today!

Penny
haha... BW working on a sat... that will be the day

im hoping they will be back on site on monday if today is a clear day.
all the rio is on site to finish off the formwork. then hopefully the slab.
Pennygirl, Sarbear-Almond was my first choice but was scared off when I visited Scone display centre. The Almond is actually a painted brick. So underneath is orange and any chip will be noticed. That was another reason why I chose a full brick. But glad to hear the Almond is still white Pennygirl. It was greeny/yellowy at Scone.

Sarbear-There is a Hayman bricked house that is built near my block and it is GORGEOUS to me. They have black windows, jasper colorbond roof,manor red gutter and paperbark fascia. Sounds different but is really very pretty.

Darker windows on any whitish brick is the way to go IMO.
The Hayman is a nice brick it is not included in the basic Genesis series although i dont know why its the only one in the set that isnt. I think they should offer it to us if so many of the others are unavailable. Trying not to upgrade of every level but may have to.

I totally agree i think the black looks great with the white. I might do some research into the painted brick thing i didnt think of that.

LTD-Did they have black garage doors or a different colour?I have seen houses with both and they all look great so i am in 2 minds which colour doors to choose.

Strange that 2 places can have 2 different outcomes of the one brick thats worrying.

Penny
Quote:
-Did they have black garage doors or a different colour?
This house was a ranch style and they put the garage doors to the side and they were paperbark. Strange how the Hayman is'nt included. I suppose they do that to encourage people to upgrade meaning more $$$$$.

Can anyone tell me if BW still use Appollo Kitchens. They did when I built with them in 1993. I'm going to go directly to the kitchen place and order exactly what I want and then tell BW at the colour selection meeting. I did this with my last kitchen and had no problems doing it that way.
Livin' the dream
Quote:
-Did they have black garage doors or a different colour?
This house was a ranch style and they put the garage doors to the side and they were paperbark. Strange how the Hayman is'nt included. I suppose they do that to encourage people to upgrade meaning more $$$$$.

Can anyone tell me if BW still use Appollo Kitchens. They did when I built with them in 1993. I'm going to go directly to the kitchen place and order exactly what I want and then tell BW at the colour selection meeting. I did this with my last kitchen and had no problems doing it that way.

I thin they do.

House around the corner had their kitchen cupboards delivered by an Apollo Kitchens truck. I remember this because I came home and googled them that night.

That was only 2 weeks ago.
Penny Girl, im not sure about the colours, we are having 3 garages, 1 single and a double door garages and there in cedar panel lift (the timber look - we upgraded)
we also have a garage door at the back with is in windspray roller door (same colour as our , gutting ,roof)
We chose the hayman brick. It was still included in our initial colour pack. We had a hard time getting any where to look at samples in person so just had to choose our colors from the brochures.

I can't remember the names of the colors off hand. We've just gone with the dark grey (almost black) roof tiles with matching gutters, downpipes, columns, window frames and garage doors. I'm planing on using a lot of greenery to break it up a bit. I've seen a lot of houses using similar color schemes; I just hope ours turns out the way we hope!
Pennygirl
The Hayman is a nice brick it is not included in the basic Genesis series although i dont know why its the only one in the set that isnt.

We were told that the reason they weren't including the 'Hayman' brick with their standard range is because they require a different cleaning method which is more expensive.
sarbear
Have short listed our bricks. Between 3 bricks from 3 different ranges.

Does anyone have any feedback on the following ranges of Austral bricks:

Everyday Life
Urban One
Whitsunday

We like all 3 and colours are similar. Just trying to work out if one brick is better performing then another.

We wanted to choose the whitsunday range and the one we selected was discontinued. The brick yard that we went to near us said they weren't the best bricks and said to look at some others.......We went with the impressions range, colour moccasin....very happy
we went with a more traditional brick. Its from Austral, the governers range, Wakehurst.
we actually went to a friends house last night who built with MJ's last yr and they have the wakehurst too as do my parents who built with BW 11 yrs ago (the Huntingdale) although with different windows, roof, guttering its sure to look different
acrebuild1
Ours came out of council in Oct and only got piers last week.
but there was xmas in there aswell, I would say if there was no xmas in the middle they would have been ready late dec early Jan

i got my quote back from costas.

They have changed a few things so i was just after some feedback :
* They have increased the # of downlights in the kitchen but less in the living rooms (the set of 4 d/l closest to the alfresco area will be where our lounge will be and the other set of d/l will be where our dining room table will be. - we did have 6 d/l in each of these groups which are now 4.
* there will be a 2 way switch for the group of d/l where the lounge will be - the 2nd switch will be at the kitchen wall where the other lights switches are.
* they forgot the underbench kitchen downlights.
* the 3 exterior lights either side of the garage doors will have there switch just inside the internal garage door.

The quote came to 5417 (or 4925 cash - we are paying cash)
hubbys mate is an electrician so going to get him to look at the quote and if he wants to do it we will supply all the lights for him to do so, i think it will work out cheaper. we have another $2k ontop of that for 5 fans, i entry pendant light 5 oyster lights (laundry, toilet, WIP, WIRx2) and also ontop of that is the $570 for the telephone cable (we are 40m from boundry so had to pay extra for cabling). the 4925 also inc $600 for a tv antenna - i will get prices elsewhere for that also)

feedback would be appreciated.

Hi Amanda

Just looking at your light plan, it looks pretty good......how many lights up your hall way??? it gets very dark up there!!!!!
You might like to put two down light above your vanity mirrors in each bathroom as you have the light behind you with your tastic. It pays to have a look at that........
We had a down light put in the entrance to the spare room plus a normal light in the room itself as its like a part of the hall way.
In the kitchen living area we put 3 rows of three down lights and it looks good not to bright.

I will try to take photos of the lights on tonight and see if you like them.
Thanks Kathy, that would be great
We have 4 downlights up the hallway, 2 each side of the door,the door will always be open unless the boys are in bed etc.
I get the electrician to put in a light above the vanity mirror, but i was thinking not a fluro but more a modern tube light or something like that.
in the kitchen we are also having under cupboard lights so the benches are nicely lit up.
do you think ill still need more in the kitchen?
Hi Guys,

Sounds like you have all been busy......selecting bricks is hard! We changed our mind 10 times I reckon. In the end we settled on the Metropolis - Marcasite and had to pay an upgrade
( oh well it was the only one hubby and I could agree on......

Well we are in Week 5/23 of contruction.....hopefully the frame will start today as of the weekend it was still just laying on the neighbours block....
Well, I was going to share the plans for our house but I can't figure our how to do it. Any tips??
you have to sign up to photobucket and upload the photo and copy the IMG code into your post.
Hi Guys

Just a little confused hopefully you can help me! My mortgage broker sent an email today wanting information for the bank. They were told that it takes 4 months to get paperwork completed. Bank has approved loan just wanted to give us a commencment letter.

So i have been told 4-6 weeks plans to be drawn. Once they are ready i go in and sign off on them if they are all ok.

Then they send off for Basix. This is were i am confused- How long are they away getting all the Basix stuff finalised before they are submitted to council?

Then at what stage do you sign contracts etc?

And is that the final process before they go to Council?

Would appreciate any information.I dont remember any of this maybe i missed all this information along the way!

Penny
Quote:
Well, I was going to share the plans for our house

Waiting patiently.
Hi Penny,
We signed off on our plans on the 11th March and they were submitted to council on Friday the 8th April. We were told it takes at least 5 weeks in council and then we sign contracts. When the plans are back from Council, BW send a copy of the plans and other 'stuff' to our bank for them to do a valuation and a commencement letter. Don't know how long that takes.

Our plans took 4 weeks to be drawn up. Very long time in my opinion. If it is your first draft, be prepared for 'mistakes'. I don't know anyone who's plans were done properly unless you did'nt change anything.

I'm up to council. 5 weeks to wait for colour selection. Best part of building I think!
Penny- basix is all done prior to submission to council as it forms part of the council approval, once out of council, beechwood sent a letter with approved plans you then make an appointment for internal colours and contract signing, here you are given the final tender and contract signed off by both parties basically now legally binding, you send to the bank and they finalize the loan and then issue the letter of commencement, this can take a week or 2, once beechwood receive they will commence on site within 28 days...
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

11/05/2023
Building duplex at the hills council area

Building A New House

Even if it's not being sub-divided and you want to keep it as Torrens title, you will still need to talk to a town planner or Council themselves, to see if they will allow…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum