Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who is building with Beechwood

Page 730 of 788
Sheridan
So... we have our PCI on Wednesday and last week we went to meet a council bloke about the driveway so of course we had a little peek in through the windows as I hadn't seen the bathrooms and carpet done.
Well. It is a bloody pigsty. There a dirty boot prints all over the carpet, the tiles in the bathroom are filthy. There is blue painters tape everywhere which I am assuming are defects. Our grout between tiles in our splash back was black and they have splashed it all over our laundry cabinetry and sink.
I hope it is all cleaned by Wednesday so we can actually see any defects!!!!!
I'm starting to feel nervous! But so excited. I've packed a bit but not all yet as I'm going through everything and figuring out whether it has place at our new home or not.

How did you go Sheridan did they get it all sorted out today for you. Looking forward to the pictures
Tom2016
How did you go Sheridan did they get it all sorted out today for you. Looking forward to the pictures

Yes all sorted today. It was fairly clean and the cabinetry with black grout actually had the protective plastic on it... phew!

I didn't take many photos but have LOTS of notes on issues. Workmanship is excellent, tiling and carpet were excellent, plaster was great (only one room with a join mark which is being fixed).
The big let down was the paint job. Painters were lazy, clearly painted over the top of dust and grime, paint splashes everywhere, messy on the skirting. Some spots clearly didn't even have a second coat. Paint spray on the window frames and mechanisms. Paint brush hairs stuck on skirting. Doors with run marks everywhere and down the bottom, particularly the corners, most doors were warped at the bottom.
They are going to sand and repaint the entire skirting.
Key note there: spend as much time as you need analysing each wall, trim, door, window, etc. This was the biggest issue for us. Doors especially, something you look past until you move in and clean them then all those paint runs will *** you right off if you're a stickler for detail.

Cabinetry in the laundry, close to the floor has been wet and expanded. They are replacing those entire panels so that won't be fun for them. Also, a panel in the kitchen had scratches up the side, and the island bench had two big nicks out of the side panels (all caesarstone benches were in perfect condition. The only divet in one was where it will be covered with our ceramic cooktop, so not concerned about that one). Those panels with issues are all going to be replaced.

Carpet wasn't tucked under properly in our WIR and the home theatre but everywhere else was great.
I'd advise you don't get waffle print carpet if you're a bit OCD/perfectionist. It makes the edges of the room look a bit messy because of the pattern.

Walking into my ensuite I gasped with my literal jaw hanging open... they put the complete wrong feature tile in. I wanted coins, they put in hexy's. After my initial shock I just laughed about it and told the guy, tell the tilers I hope they have fun digging them out!!!!!

My ensuite:

Main bathroom:

(my husband chose the feature tile in here)

My lesson learnt from that: don't be polite and avoid site inspections to keep the build going!!!!! Have regular site inspections around each major milestone so that these things can be dealt with during the build. We were hoping to get our keys in the next few days and now we will need to wait another week for all of this work to be completed.

Edward took us through and he was super patient, pointing out things himself, and making sure we understood things clearly. He only disagreed with us on one or two points and was super respectful about it and explained his reasoning (based on the Aussie building code some were imperfections but not actually "defects").

Once we receive the keys we have a LOT of work to do... this is after our big storms the last two days!!!

Will take more photos once the house isn't covered in blue painters tape marking out defects lol

tecnoz78
Hi Poppet82
It's 500x500

thanks tecnoz

Broadynest
Bordeaux4Guest
Looks amazing so far Broadynest
. You doing Terrazza after handover I take it?

Yeah, we will be concreting and tiling. The tile we have chosen for our Terraza are the same as the ones we are laying throughout the house; heartwood eucalypt, but with a different slip rating.

hi broady... was heartwood included in your standard range ? if so which beaumont did you use ?

Yes, it was standard in Nowra
Tom2016
tapasr_Lexia4
Happy to share that we've received our commencement letter stating 10 April as the magic date .... can't wait...I'm pretty sure it will feel like eternity just waiting for it...
Hope everyone is well in this crazy weather afternoon....

Great news I bet it's a relief to see some movement.. looking forward to the pictures

Thanks Tom and yes I want to see movements note after dealing with paperworks since Aug lol

poppet82
Broadynest
Bordeaux4Guest
Looks amazing so far Broadynest
. You doing Terrazza after handover I take it?

Yeah, we will be concreting and tiling. The tile we have chosen for our Terraza are the same as the ones we are laying throughout the house; heartwood eucalypt, but with a different slip rating.

hi broady... was heartwood included in your standard range ? if so which beaumont did you use ?

I looked at that here in beaumont Prospect but neah...not in their standard range

Congratulations Sheridan. We are also having a two door garage so we don't have to pay extra. Looking great and looking forward to the inside pics

Tom2016
braddy_
Does anyone have any recommendations for under cabinet lights in the kitchen for under the high wall cabinets, that do not require the cabinets to have a 'false floor" ?

Also, do i need to stipulate the location of the laundry power point? i dont want it to be ground level.

We did basic Elec plan at contract and then went to south west electrical in Sydney who are doing the electrical for beechwood in our area and done the electrical plan in detail about a month after contract signing. It was far cheaper than paying the beechwood prices for electrical items. All our heights we chose and were able to move all the points around where we wanted them and anything we wanted added was all done costed and printed on site for us to review. Only thing I can say is do your research prior as they may try to push you in a certian direction when not required. Example being they strongly recommend connecting Fibre throughout the house and from the house to the road for NBN. However there would be no point as it's only copper from the node to the house. Huge money and no gain. Few other things with smoke alarms (we are fire fighters kinda funny debating this one) they advised they needed to replace all the smoke detectors to 12v detectors at another cost. If you go to south west electrical do your research and will save you a packet

Tom, we didn't had the electrical appointment because they initially say make an appointment but when hubby called and his call was returned that's even we learned that Michael from Costa us not doing the electricals for Beechwood and when we told them this they said they will just call us but haven't received anything in relation electricals

Sheridan, what's your (white) tiles in your bathroom? Looks nice

Looks great Sheridan! I know you wanted 'coins' in the ensuite but I like the hexy's
Bordeaux4Guest
Looks great Sheridan! I know you wanted 'coins' in the ensuite but I like the hexy's

Thanks Bordeaux4Guest! Yes, they do look good. I actually originally wanted them, but thought they would date quickly.

tapasr_Lexia4
Sheridan, what's your (white) tiles in your bathroom? Looks nice

Thank you! They are Classic Carrara Gloss 300×450 from Tile Direct Beresfield
They did a marvelous job laying them with the patterns alternating so there was nothing odd about the marble look.

Sheridan
Tom2016

Yes all sorted today. It was fairly clean and the cabinetry with black grout actually had the protective plastic on it... phew!

I didn't take many photos but have LOTS of notes on issues. Workmanship is excellent, tiling and carpet were excellent, plaster was great (only one room with a join mark which is being fixed).
The big let down was the paint job. Painters were lazy, clearly painted over the top of dust and grime, paint splashes everywhere, messy on the skirting. Some spots clearly didn't even have a second coat. Paint spray on the window frames and mechanisms. Paint brush hairs stuck on skirting. Doors with run marks everywhere and down the bottom, particularly the corners, most doors were warped at the bottom.
Key note there: spend as much time as you need analysing each wall, trim, door, window, etc. This was the biggest issue for us. Doors especially, something you look past until you move in and clean them then all those paint runs will *** you right off if you're a stickler for detail.

Cabinetry in the laundry, close to the floor has been wet and expanded. They are replacing those entire panels so that won't be fun for them. Also, a panel in the kitchen had scratches up the side, and the island bench had two big nicks out of the side panels (all caesarstone benches were in perfect condition. The only divet in one was where it will be covered with our ceramic cooktop, so not concerned about that one). Those panels with issues are all going to be replaced.

Carpet wasn't tucked under properly in our WIR and the home theatre but everywhere else was great.
I'd advise you don't get waffle print carpet if you're a bit OCD/perfectionist. It makes the edges of the room look a bit messy because of the pattern.

Walking into my ensuite I gasped with my literal jaw hanging open... they put the complete wrong feature tile in. I wanted coins, they put in hexy's. After my initial shock I just laughed about it and told the guy, tell the tilers I hope they have fun digging them out!!!!!

My ensuite:

Main bathroom:

My lesson learnt from that: don't be polite and avoid site inspections to keep the build going!!!!! Have regular site inspections around each major milestone so that these things can be dealt with during the build. We were hoping to get our keys in the next few days and now we will need to wait another week for all of this work to be completed.

Edward took us through and he was super patient, pointing out things himself, and making sure we understood things clearly. He only disagreed with us on one or two points and was super respectful about it and explained his reasoning (based on the Aussie building code some were imperfections but not actually "defects").

Once we receive the keys we have a LOT of work to do... this is after our big storms the last two days!!!

Will take more photos once the house isn't covered in blue painters tape marking out defects lol

Great to hear you're so close to getting your keys. Your place is looking amazing. Love the bathroom. I like the hexagon tile too, are you going to keep or change them?

Grace33
Great to hear you're so close to getting your keys. Your place is looking amazing. Love the bathroom. I like the hexagon tile too, are you going to keep or change them?

Thanks Grace. Pretty much as soon as this additional work is done we can get the keys!!!!
Change them. I like the hexagons but it isn't what I wanted for a specific reason so I'm getting them to change them. And because I'm stubborn like that lol

Sheridan
Tom2016

My ensuite:

Main bathroom:

Looks great. I'm still lost as to why they do the inspections with so many defects. Isn't that what the SS is meant to be doing throughout the build. It seems a common comment with the paint work. Fingers crossed you get the defect sorted quickly and get to move in
Tapasr_lexia4 There was a comment on here a little while ago that someone went to prospect Beaumont and got their tiles from Nowra due to the massive standard range they have. We were amazed at the range in Nowra. Might be worth making the enquiry that if 1 store can do it why carnt you deal with them and get it sent?
Hi Everyone - haven't logged into here for ages! Our house is going well. Still doing landscaping but its progressing well. Will post some pics when I get a chance.

We just finished our 13 week maintenance period. The only real issue was one of our towel racks was not attached to the gyprock correctly on one side, so after only a few weeks it fell out and there is a hole in the wall.

The other things - they still had not done stuff we picked up at our PCI - cracks in mortar (which they had tagged but still not come back to do). We sill haven't got the front door we paid the upgrade for, and they never gave us a water meter!

Hope everyone's houses/builds are going well.
Tom2016
Tapasr_lexia4 There was a comment on here a little while ago that someone went to prospect Beaumont and got their tiles from Nowra due to the massive standard range they have. We were amazed at the range in Nowra. Might be worth making the enquiry that if 1 store can do it why carnt you deal with them and get it sent?

Thanks Tom. We are yet to have an appointment with them as that was not done during the colour selection... would someone post that tiles again please..I know i did love that tiles, it has a nice textured look...

nataliea
Hi Everyone - haven't logged into here for ages! Our house is going well. Still doing landscaping but its progressing well. Will post some pics when I get a chance.

We just finished our 13 week maintenance period. The only real issue was one of our towel racks was not attached to the gyprock correctly on one side, so after only a few weeks it fell out and there is a hole in the wall.

The other things - they still had not done stuff we picked up at our PCI - cracks in mortar (which they had tagged but still not come back to do). We sill haven't got the front door we paid the upgrade for, and they never gave us a water meter!

Hope everyone's houses/builds are going well.

Nice to hear that Nataliea. Wow 13wks had past already? It had gone too quickly isn't it... we're about to start on the 10th...Getting real now, no more paperworks or not as much now...can't wait for your photos hun

Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

11/05/2023
Building duplex at the hills council area

Building A New House

Even if it's not being sub-divided and you want to keep it as Torrens title, you will still need to talk to a town planner or Council themselves, to see if they will allow…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum