Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Floor tile question

Page 1 of 1
I am in the process of selecting tiles for the living area.

I saw some tiling in one of our friends house. The tile did not have the normal gab between each tile (which we normally see, in standard tiles). This looked like each tile was right next to each other, with very very less gap (not noticeable from a distance)...

They looked like a porcelain tile. I am a newbie when it comes to these things. Can you guys please tell me what are those tiles... they looked more than 600 x 600 in size. Do we have to specially ask for the tiles to be layed without the gap ? Im not sure. Please guide.
Hi Mark,

The tiles you have seen are rectified tiles - this allows them to be laid closer together as they have a neater edge of tile (I've heard they're laser cut). They are more expensive than normal tiles. Larger format tiles are also more expensive to be laid as the tiler has to be more exact as there is less room for error and they may need to do more floor preparation prior to tiling (if slab not flat).

So if you choose a rectified edge tile you won't have to ask them to lay it close together but it will cost you more, you will also probably pay more for the larger format tiles that you like.

Cheers
The tiles would be rectified. This means that they have a completely flat surface, as opposed to a slightly rounded section on the edges (which they call cushion edge, I think). I believe that most tiles - if not all - are rectified when you get to 600*600 size. Not everyone would lay them with as little gap, so you would need to take it up with your tiler, but using rectified tiles means that they CAN use a smaller gap.

Rectified tiles cost more to lay, but have a much nicer finish. I think it is well worth the extra
thanks for that. I too believe that they look really nice. I just didnt know what they were called.

Is there any adavntage of going for a specific type of tile for living area, i.e porcelain or anything else? something that has good shine...
Once again it depends on what you're going for. High gloss looks stunning, but may be hard to keep clean. When cleaning you really need to dry it as you go or you get streak or water marks, but by walking around with a towel attached to your feet while mopping you should pick up the excess water and buff it to a showroom type finish. Wet glossy tiles can be ridiculously slippery, and probably not suited if you have (or are planning on having) young kids.

Many of the non-glossy tiles have a rough finish that can collect dirt, but they have far better grip when wet.

We've opted for a honed finish - which is a smooth finish but not glossy. We felt it was a good compromise. It will be slippery when wet, but not to the extent of the gloss. It will also be easy to clean. It shouldn't show up too many water marks (having said that, I'd still most likely be drying as I mop because I do have a young child running around everywhere). We've selected a really thick, 600*600 natural stone tile in basalt (dark grey - it should absorb heat in winter and work as thermal mass to help return it to the house when the room's ambient temperature becomes lower than the temperature of the tiles - this is turn reduces our heating bills.). Lighter colours reflect heat and stay cooler (although any colour will get hot under direct sun), darker colours absorb heat and will become warmer. For the record, it works the same with your roofing. The darker the roof, the hotter your house will be in summer. You can save real money on your energy usage by choosing your colours correctly.

Porcelain is more expensive than ceramic, and natural stone is generally more expensive than porcelain. I think that the quality shows between most porcelain and ceramic tiles, although depending on the manufacturer (and usually the cost) you can get a bit of a cross over between the two as far as quality and appeal is concerned.

Hope that this helps!!
thanks somewoman. I always, seem to be learning a lot, after reading your posts. I never even thought of selecting colors etc.. in proper way to reduce energy bills, until i read your post. Now, i have another variable, i need to keep in mind, during selection. I am also looking at 600 x 600, and seem to prefer the glossy porcelain tiles.

I will post all details of what the builder offers as standard selections with tiles, bricks, roofing etc... in my other thread.
Related
18/08/2023
Bathroom floor tile layout

Bathrooms and Laundry

Possibly both depending on the sizing. Idea of working from the centre is that you dont have a 20mm thin tile at one end and a 400mm at the other end. A quick search on…

13/03/2024
Replacing broken tile on floor

General Discussion

I have an investment property and tenants moved out recently. However the Property manager noticed one of the floor tiles is broken and the kitchen Island countertop is…

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum