Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Wizards castle - PD Francis 29 – Half a step forward

Page 20 of 35
any updates wiz, otherwise i hate to say it, but i might overtake you in our little race to the finish.

Ohh well, at least we will (should) both be in before Xmas
TheAlbany
any updates wiz, otherwise i hate to say it, but i might overtake you in our little race to the finish.

Ohh well, at least we will (should) both be in before Xmas

Not much progress yet, just more bricking, there are a few issues to follow up on, noticed a few things when I was there on the weekend so I will hopefully organise an inspection next week some time to see if our rep will get them fixed.

As for who will get in first, I think thanks to the delay we have because of the re-bricking, we will come last, but at least the bricks will look good
wizard
As for who will get in first, I think thanks to the delay we have because of the re-bricking, we will come last, but at least the bricks will look good
Exactly right .... Hopefully we finish at the same time (before Xmas) and have the houses finished off perfect
We should be in by the start of November, my birthday is on the 9th of November so our mission is to be settled in by then so we can have a joint birthday/house warming, but we will see how we go, we could be in earlier, we could be in later, it all depends on how quickly PD can coordinate the tradies to do the rest of the work
Fingers crossed for ya wizard. Hopefully we should be n not long after you guys.
How's the re-bricking going wizard?? Brick work makes me so nervous, our last build was crap too. Pretty common theme!
Hi amazing_venice, re-bricking is done, just needs to be cleaned, it looks so much better, I have not posted too many photos yet because they still need to do the clean (should happen next week some time), so I will wait until the clean is done then I will post a heap of pics. The inside of the house should be back underway right about now, painters should be in tomorrow with everything else to follow shortly after.

Our 20 weeks is up in 2 weeks, there is no way the house will be ready in time, we are just hoping we don’t go over the 20 weeks by too much.
Just to add to my last post, I am waiting on a phone call from our CSA today to organize an inspection for Friday afternoon. Before the whole brick saga there was a small list of thing we wanted rectified, it has pretty much all been done, but we want to take a close look at everything. When we had our last inspection, we were so focused on the bricks that despite inspecting inside, we didn’t really look that closely, hopefully there is nothing wrong, but we want to be sure. Will let you know how it goes.
Is there any compensation for them going over time? I think it was discussed earlier but I wasn't sure there was a definite answer.
Yeah, we get $250 a week, this covers most of the rent we are paying now, not all, but most. The delay could actually work out good for me, we were due to finish in about 2 weeks, I have 2 exams in 2 weeks, so we would have had hand over during my exams, at least now, I should be finished this semester before handover, so it’s not all bad news
Excellent
. Good luck with the exams Wiz
Thanks RF, I'm just looking forward to having somewhere at home to study in the new house, at the moment it is the dining room table surrounded by screaming kids, in the new house I can either go into the main study (where I can still have a conversation with people in the kitchen/family room) or shut myself off in the spare bedroom/kids study
I'm glad that it's all coming together for you, and at least the compensation covers most of your rent. So your build time was 20 weeks for a double story??

What are you studying? My hubby is at Uni too, makes for a very full life - kids, building, work and uni!
Our house is single story, I think its 26 weeks for double with PD (not too sure if that’s right).

I know what your husband is going through, I work 5 then 6 days a week, do 2 units (subjects) per semester with 3 semesters a year. Like you we have 2 kids (2 girls, one 8 years and the other 16 months) plus the build to worry about. It’s a lot of work, but the rewards at the end will pay off. I am doing a bachelor of commerce at Deakin uni.
Yes - it's VERY busy. But we too know it will pay off in years to come.... the next 3 years will be pretty insane!

We have two girls also! 3 1/2 and 18mths. Fun times! You must rarely see your little ones - my hubby can only manage 1 subject a semester! You are a saint to do 2 x 3!!!

Looking forward to the cleaned brick pics!

AV.
Hello,

good to hear the bricking is done! Just thought i would contribute. Porter Davis double story is 30 weeks but in my HIA contract it says 299 days, which is longer than 30 weeks. We're currently in week 26, but ours was extended by 22 days, so I'm guessing 33 weeks, if they rebrick our house it will be longer than that though.
I am lucky that I can do most of my study at work, my boss is the one that pushed me to do the course so he allows me to spend as much time as I want at work studying, as long as I do what needs to be done for work. Some days I have a lot of spare time, some only a little, but by the time I get home at 6pm, my brain is normally fried and I have had enough for the day, so I do get a few hours each night with them.
Thanks Fallen_Apple, I didn’t think I had that right
We have confirmed an inspection for Friday at 3pm, we have our fingers crossed that there is nothing wrong with either the bricks or anything inside, but we will find out on Friday.

Just a little update while I’m here, the painter should be starting today, looking forward to seeing the house painted, I think it will look more like a house and less like a construction zone once the walls, ceilings and door have a coat of paint on them. Will post some photos after the inspection and also let you all know how we go.
That's great that the painter is starting today.

Good luck with your exams. I did a bachelor of commerce part time, while working full-time. I didn't have kids to worry about, well not mine anyway. Lived with my mum, 2 brothers, a brothers wife, and their 2 kids. Very chaotic house, nowhere to study and no peace and quiet. I kind of understand what you're going through. My work is now keen for my to do my chartered accountants program, but I'm delaying until my house is finished, and I'm a little more settled.

I hope your inspection goes well on Friday.
Related
26/08/2023
renovate bathroom remove step up into ensuite

Bathrooms and Laundry

the step up is 30mm and wanting it to be flat . how much does the concrete have to be lowered .we plan on removing bath and lenghten shower and adding seat. the old bath…

18/01/2024
Brick wall small step cracks

General Discussion

Do I need to concern about this pattern of crack? Is this crack showing some signs of bigger problems? Thanks for any suggestions!

25/03/2024
Front step at doorway

Building A New House

Take a pick with a level sittingo n the slab and a pick with a level sitting on the sill please. This will help us diagnose the issue and therefore a solution. RE,…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum