Aug 24, 2007 5:22 pm
Standard cornice for our joint is 75mm one. We wanted a larger one (due to higher ceilings) so in the contract we had it changed to 90mm ones.
This is listed in the contract as 90mm (upgraded for no cost) and is also listed in the addenda.
Now keeping in mind that there is only 15mm dif, not alot really, my question would be do I bother chasing this up. (It hasnt cost me anything)
Part of me says, definatley as they are sticklers on every detail of the contract and have shown no flexability at all, and part of me says dont worry about it.
Can I get compensated for something in the plans, contract & addenda but not completed that I haven't actually paid for? (Ie it was a free upgrade after all)
Re: Cornice issues8
Aug 24, 2007 6:01 pm
How does it look - do ytou like the look of it - or would abigger cornice look more in sympathy with the room.
If it loks better with the 90mm up there - hold some up - then ask them to replace it.
It all has to look right - in the future.
This is one of those sumbliminal things that we will subconciously notice as "not right" when you are in your house.
Small pain now- and little delay - will be much appreciated later.
Re: Cornice issues9
Aug 24, 2007 6:37 pm
The difference in cost would be very minor, which is probably why its a 'free' upgrade. Compensation would hardly be worth it. Either way, it's not what you wanted, and as the others have said it will annoy you for a long time later. Get it redone the way you pictured it being all along. It's YOUR home, not the builders!
Re: Cornice issues10
Aug 26, 2007 6:43 pm
What a pain!
If it was me I would contact the builders first thing Monday morning...tell them what has occured and see what they say.....and then make a decision based on the options that they give you.....it may be that changing them to the correct size will not hold you up much at all....
Re: Cornice issues11
Aug 26, 2007 6:51 pm
If they are sticklers for the contract, then you should be too.
Think long & hard If you can live with 75mm.
If you can't, demand it be replaced to the contract spec, no ifs, no buts, and it shouldn't take more than a couple of days work - which probably won't even add to the overall time if other contractors are doing other work at the same time.
If you can live with them, then I'd still demand action - they may offer to offset the cost of the re-work by offering another inclusion or upgrade elsewhere in the house perhaps?
Re: Cornice issues12
Aug 26, 2007 7:17 pm
To put things in perspective we signed up for this house in april last year.
The house is basically finished, and cleaned up. I cant see the builder wanting to replace the incorrect one. Big, messy job.
(plus each month the house is delayed costs me $1300)
The 75mm cornice looks ok, its more the principal really.
I think in the end I will put up with it, but I want something from them,.(realising that its a pain in the *** for them to repalce) Maybe they can fix my front footpath for free?
I will have more tommorow after i have spoken to them
thanks for the feedback
Re: Cornice issues13
Aug 26, 2007 8:04 pm
Can you get the 90 mm cornice put over the 75 mm cornice?
If so, either accept the house as is now with an undetaking to add the 90 mm cornice or get them to put it in now. Must be a lot quicker to add another cornice than remove and replace.
Demolition August 2009, Construction Started September 2009, Completed December 2010
Re: Cornice issues14
Aug 26, 2007 9:10 pm
I agree with the principal, I guess it comes down to what will it cost you in rent etc whilst the remove the 75mm from the whole house.
I would go them an upgrade of something else maybe? A nice kitchen light.
Worth a try.
Re: Cornice issues15
Aug 27, 2007 1:46 am
i'm big on the it the principle thing if you were the one who had not done somethig for them as per contract or adenda you know they would be charging you for it some way. Even if it was free thats not the point. Go one make an issuse of it with them
Tell them you can't sleep at night
Re: Cornice issues17
Aug 29, 2007 5:07 pm
We have come to a cash settlement for variation. Not as much as I hoped, but its sorted.
I guess at the end of the day we need to get in house more than worry about 15mm.
Sign in or Join to reply to this Topic
GaudiIssues with property inspectionIssues with property inspection
Any joy? It is so frustrating when compromise by owner is never enough for the builder. I’ve been there. Building is such a differernt world Something so simple I’d…