Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building on an Easement

Page 1 of 1
Hey All,

Anyone know about building on easements? I just got the below back from the council:

"I have looked at your application. I will have to discuss this one with my supervisor tomorrow.
It looks as though there is a pipe in the easement and a pit.
If you cannot build the garage you may be able to build a carport or a garage that is easily dismountable.
Your property is also within the floodway, which may have further issues with Council getting access to the pipe etc"

Problem I have is that NO pipes run under the easement and the two pits are NOT be built on. in fact one pit which is close to the grarge is next door.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Only the authority which has rights to the easement can give permission to build over it (regardless of what's contained within that easement).

Depending on what the easement contains, you may still be able to build a garage over it, ensuring the garage has an independent slab. This is, however, providing you accept the risk that at any time, they can rip up the garage slab to get to their services.

Talk to the authority who has rights to the easement (water board by the sounds of it)
Our block had both rear and a side easement. The side easement was giving us trouble until we were able to confirm from both the council and yarra valley water there were no pipes of any kind within it. We ended up having to get written approval from both council & YVW to build over the easement - we had about 300mm of cut & fill over the easement and big eaves overhanging it, so not really a solid structure on the ground directly over the easement.

If you can prove there are no pipes in the easement, you might be able to build your garage over, but depending on your council it may be easy, it may be not. If there is a pipe in the easement, more headaches unfortunately! Not sure what the floodway is, that one sounds more like an overlay issue to me?

T&T
Related
19/08/2023
Easement and building garage to boundary

Renovation + Home Improvement

You should be able to encase the sewer but you will need it designed and approved and access to lot 580 to do the work

15/08/2023
Is this a bad situation - easement and manhole on property

General Discussion

You might be able to apply to divert the sewer at your expense. In NSW you would contact a Water services co-ordinator and they would give you advice as to whether or not…

24/01/2024
Retaining Wall on Easement?

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks - yea sounds like I need to submit build over easement application....ugh guess I better start finding someone who can do the engineering drawings

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum