Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Is it worth to build a 6-start energy homes?

Page 1 of 3
Hi guys, do you think it worth to upgrade the 5-star energy house to 6+ star? What does the builder do to meet the higher standard? How much could it normally be?
First of all, you need to define 'worth it' Monetary wise up front? long term monetary savings or even reducing emissions for the planet could be some of the ways to make it 'worth it'
Unless you're talking pure up-front monetary costs then yes I would say it is worth it. First of, it's the right thing to do (assuming that the upgrade doesn't consume more resources than it would save over the lifetime of the house, which would be pointless). It will make for a more comfortable house and running costs over time will be lower, which you have to balance out against the initial capital cost.

Then, look at it from a resale value. As time goes on the green credentials of your house will become more and more of a selling point as energy costs go up, and I don't think it will be long before mandatory energy ratings appear on 'for sale' listings. Which house will be more attractive - your 6+* house or the 5* one down the street?

Finally, take a close look at what the upgrade actually is: is it things that the builder should really be putting in to their standard build but they are offering as "upgrades" to maximise their profit? Or could they be things that you could do yourself afterwards using alternative means to achieve the same ends? (for example, how airtight will the house be? Could you go around with a tube of no more gaps and close off a bunch of penetrations, thus increasing the efficiency of the existing insulation?)
Oh yes it is/will be!
Skimping on the pate` will just not do.
In regards to a 6 star energy rating, it wasn't too difficult for us to achieve.

- Double glaze windows (we wanted this anyway, total cost was $4000 for a 41sq house)
- Solar hot water system (included in base price of house)
- 3,000L water tank (cost of $1,200 installed)
- Wall insulation (included in base price of house)
- Roof batts (included in base price of house).

It is certainly worthwhile to check out what a *6 star package* from your builder includes. As seen with my house, it wasn't too difficult to achieve and the cost wasn't THAT great.
We are look for an outcome of 9 stars.

Edit: this is without the positive effect of producing 30% of our protein suppliment(fish[trout and marron]) and most of our
fruit & veggies.
Ok, I think I should define the term 'worth it' first. Seems that could reduce any meaningless argument.

From what I am thinking, 'worth it' means simply Total Output > Total Input.

As input, I put the money on builder's desk, say $8000. As output, I can't just believe the figures on the sales brochure. So I appreciate you guys' experience on how much you can actually save monthly. If the saving for next few years can't cover the cost, then I see no points to upgrade it. As you can always use that money to plant more trees to be more environmental.

A potential selling point is not my concern neither, as I am not going to sell the house in couple of years. Who knows what will happen 10 years later. Maybe 10-star is compulsory at that moment...

Most builders provide 5 start energy as standard, that includes solar hot water, ceiling and external wall insulation and window seal, but not including any water tank. I will install water tank after handover. But I don't think water saving is a part of energy efficiency schema.

So what do the builders normally do to achieve higher standard? Do they add more solar panels, upgrade the ceiling and wall insulation? How much could it normally be to upgrade from 5-star to 6-star? To me, more than $5000 is a bit over my budget, if 6-star energy can only save $20 or 10% of electric bill per season.
I wonder what your current energy usage is?
...if power goes up by 10% per annum it will have doubled in 5 years

It went up how much last year (NSW 21%)?
My husband and I are owner builders, and obviously need to reach 5 star energy rating. However, after getting our preliminary rating completed, it really wasnt all *that* much that we need to do. To reach five star we need to:
- Aluminum Improved Windows
- 2.0 and DS sisalation to external walls
- 4.1 and DS sisalation to roof
- 2.0 to underfloor (our house is raised)
- External doors to be weather sealed
- Internal LV downlights to be sealed
- Internal exhaust fans to be self closing

This is pretty basic stuff in our eyes, so we’re planning on going beyond this. We will be getting all windows in the house double glazed for example, which is about 30% more. We are going to get gas boosted solar hot water (yet to get a price). And a water tank (mainly for hubby to wash the cars and for the garden). And IF budget allows, we will look in to solar panels for electricity.

Prices of utilities will only continue to increase, so it will save us money in the long run. How much money, and how long it will take I don’t know, but at least we’re doing our bit for the environment at the same time.
onc_artisan
I wonder what your current energy usage is?
...if power goes up by 10% per annum it will have doubled in 5 years

It went up how much last year (NSW 21%)?

Um... in VIC is OK. I am using TruEnergy, it went up 5% or so (if I remember) last year. My seasonal bill is about $240, so it's $960 p.a.
Bam
My husband and I are owner builders, and obviously need to reach 5 star energy rating. However, after getting our preliminary rating completed, it really wasnt all *that* much that we need to do. To reach five star we need to:
- Aluminum Improved Windows
- 2.0 and DS sisalation to external walls
- 4.1 and DS sisalation to roof
- 2.0 to underfloor (our house is raised)
- External doors to be weather sealed
- Internal LV downlights to be sealed
- Internal exhaust fans to be self closing

This is pretty basic stuff in our eyes, so we’re planning on going beyond this. We will be getting all windows in the house double glazed for example, which is about 30% more. We are going to get gas boosted solar hot water (yet to get a price). And a water tank (mainly for hubby to wash the cars and for the garden). And IF budget allows, we will look in to solar panels for electricity.

Prices of utilities will only continue to increase, so it will save us money in the long run. How much money, and how long it will take I don’t know, but at least we’re doing our bit for the environment at the same time.

Thanks, lady. Good to know that info. Then I can chat with my builder to see what they will do to go to the next level.

In fact, building a more efficient house is some sort of investment. If it can't save more, then i will put that money on the trees or make donation to green organisations. That definitely can be more environmental.

By the way, does a higher level energy efficient house mean cooler/warmer in summer/winter?
That is the point

Cooler in summer and warmer in winter = less energy consumption

More light in winter = less energy consumption.
Building materials with less embedded energy = less wasted resources and less carbon
less waste + less energy + less consumption = less damage to the environment & your pocket
onc_artisan
That is the point

Cooler in summer and warmer in winter = less energy consumption

More light in winter = less energy consumption.
Building materials with less embedded energy = less wasted resources and less carbon
less waste + less energy + less consumption = less damage to the environment & your pocket

Exactly!

Increasing your energy rating in effect means in Summer, your house will be cooler, requiring less aircon, which means less energy is being used. In winter, your house will be warmer which means less cost in heating.

We've decided to try and reduce our electricity as much as possible, as the price is predicted to soar over the next few years. I wanted to set up grey water too but my husband said no as he'd rather put up electricity panels
The absolute difference in energy consumption between 5 star and 6 star is not so big... don't be paying too much... e.g. Burbank gets their future range to 7.5 stars in almost any orientation.

Ed
Guys, I know theoretically all of us should align with the highest level of energy efficiency. But it's not practical at all. My point is, if 5-star is enough why bother 6-star? If there is 7-star (Burbank), and it definitely means to be saving more money from your pocket, what stops you getting it?

The equations above is not necessarily true. The '=' sigh is translated into EQUAL, not MEAN. It's not about meaning, but about figures, numbers, amount.... If you spend $8000 for just saving $80, yes, it may save some $$$, but do you still think it worth?

I am not trying to be a hero to save the world. But why not spend $8000 on planting more trees in your backyard to achieve the same goal?
But Ed we all know that the figures can be rubberized ( not in truth but in order to comply)

aim1900 - I am dissapointed you feel that way.
Why not plant trees to replace the ones that once stood where your house now is/will be.
Your pockets will recover but will the planet?
You are only one but there are millions of you!

....do what you want it is a free country, remember though that power will be ever increasing
in cost and so will the gas/coal/fuel deplete
aim1900, would you like us to tell you to plant some trees instead?

You're right - savings may be $80 a year, who knows... but your doing your bit for the environment. I cant plant the number of trees necessary on our block to balance out the energy we produce, so we're opting to be as energy efficient as possible and yes, it is at a cost.

And besides, spending $8000 on tree's compared to solar panels will not save me money, whereas the solar panels will, even if it IS only a minute $80!

Work out whats included with your builder, and what the cost will be to increase your energy rating through different methods, and see whether *you* think it is worth it.
I was told by 2 builders that May 2010 basix requirements are going to be be higher so the average build is going to need to included double glazed windows. I don't know if this is true or not but I think it will be interesting to see if people start to complain about the costs involved with basix.

We were contemplating double glazed windows but decided we would rather plant trees to shade the house instead. We will also be installing solar panels after handover as well as a second water tank. It's worth it in terms of comfort not just money. After living in a house that didn't "need" air con the majority of the time because it was cool from tree's shading the house, that house wasn't well insulated either. I loved the comfort the house had without air con not just the amount of money we saved.

There are a number of things you can do to improve your house rating but they can be done after handover too
Deciduous trees and fruit bearing add discretely to the energy efficiency
of a home and you get next to no extra rating, but it does make a dif.
People seem to forget the importance of having a canopy, midrange and ground covers
to effective micromanage climate controls

remembering of course that to block the sun from solar panels is no good either.
onc_artisan
But Ed we all know that the figures can be rubberized ( not in truth but in order to comply)

....do what you want it is a free country, remember though that power will be ever increasing
in cost and so will the gas/coal/fuel deplete

The energy efficiency demands today are tiny and insignificant, circumventing the goal is easy... achieving significant energy efficiency is also easy... but not as easy as circumvention... it's a case of do you want the rubber stamp or reality. Reality is not so expensive... and the savings can be real.

Ed

PS fuel will never deplete... once we have fusion power...
Related
28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

23/04/2024
How to qualify for 6-star energy rating (pre NCC 2022)

Building A New House

10 years ago was a different software than we use now. it has had a lot of changes over the past years. Improvments to the software and changes to how Nathers models need…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum