Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Floor tiles

Page 1 of 1
Hi

I need help.
We have 135sq m of tiling to do, but how do i pick the tile colour.
Do i match it up with paint, kitchen????

Confused

Cherie
I am finding the tile decision the hardest too. It doesnt help that I keep changing the look I want to go for!

Is your kitchen having stone benchtops? If so, do you have to pick from one company?

Maybe start with the thing you have most limited choice with and work around that. Paint comes in heaps of different colours so maybe leave that till last...
Well the walls are Russian Toffee, the bench tops are Black diamond gloss, white cupboards, red splash back.

mmmmmm, need to decide now.
We are buying the tiles ourselves and a friend who is a tiler is laying them saved us $5000

Cherie
chezza
Well the walls are Russian Toffee, the bench tops are Black diamond gloss, white cupboards, red splash back.

mmmmmm, need to decide now.
We are buying the tiles ourselves and a friend who is a tiler is laying them saved us $5000

Cherie

It seems you have strong colours already so I would probably go for a white tile. Have a look at a few display homes and see if you can find something that you like. Most of our colour selections have been inspired by various displays
My 'main' tuile selection for the living area/hallway is the easiest decision for me!
I'm going a white shiny/gloss colour......everything else is killing me and I cant
decide
. Mind you I havent even started choosing anything yet as we are
still getting quotes from builders.

IMO I wouldn't go with a 'feature' type tile considering your other selections look
really bold already. A white or lighter colour would look nice.
We are also having white venetians, so would white tiles be ok.
I would then do somewhere between white and the russian toffee colour (not that familiar with colours)...

I would go towards the lighter end but maybe not bright white!
I am going for DARK tiles and DARK grout - after having light tiles with light grout in our current house (that we are about to rip up and replace before we put it on the market) I HATE LIGHT GROUT!

If there is one thing (in my opinion) that ages a house more than anything, it is dirty grout!

(I think you can seal grout to prevent build up of dirt and make it less porous so i would definitely suggest that if you go with light coloured tiles/grout )

We are looking at having light/white walls and white sheer curtaining layered with black/dark curtaining with a white caesarstone bench top but a warm dark grey splash back to prevent it from being too much of a contrast and making it feel too cold/hard - i love rugs so i will definitely be using rugs in a lighter colour (that can be hung on the washing line and hosed out!!!)

We also looked at timber floors to prevent the whole grout situation, but due to the fact that we are yet to have children and we have an inside dog, the timber would get ruined

These are just my opinions, but I know when investing a heap of money into your dream home, you'd want it looking new for as long as you can (with little to no maintenance
)
Related
29/01/2024
Do floor to ceiling tiles ad much resale value

Building A New House

They make the room much easier to clean for one, reflect more light (if light colour tiles are used), and you dont end up with dust on the top edge of tiles (cause most…

22/04/2024
Floating floor boards over slate tiles

General Discussion

To put anything over slate you will need to put self level compound over the entire area as slate various in thickness and is very un even. To install most types of…

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum