Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Problems - What to do.

Page 1 of 1
I just built my new home with a well known melbourne builder. Who I don't want to mention. Just moved into the house went though with the builder before we moved in and identified the small problems you find in the 45min time your allocated. However now I have been here a few days I noticed in our ensuite the tilles at one end of the room were much wider then the other end of the room and only one end. Realising the tiles are square I figured that the walls are not square.

It was enough that when I checked out cavity sliding door I noticed the runner had been placed on an angle to meet up properly with the other wall! Worried about this I went and got a square and check the wall out and My suspicions where correct. Using a 1/2 metre square (I purchased from bunnings) I discovered one of the walls was 10 -15mm2 out of square. Which worried me! So i decided to check other rooms in the house and discovered walls far worse.

My question is are these normal tollerance or should I make this an issue with the builder. Futhermore I had a pre-framing inspection completed by one of the well known building inspectiors I found on this forum. Maybe I am wrong but shouldn't he have picked this up. Wasn't that what I was paying $600 for ?

Happy to hear what people think. I'm not sure if I'm just being and overly picky or wether these are geninue concerns ?
One resource you can download from the Victorian Building Commission is the Guide to Standards and Tolerances here:

http://www.buildingcommission.com.au/resources/documents/S+T_GUIDE_07.pdf

It does sound like the room is a bit too out of square. Wouldn't hurt to give your inspector a call and ask to see his checklist where he checked the square and plumb of the walls.

Good luck and let us know how you go.
Related
16/12/2023
Brick Problems - Acid Burn?

Building A New House

I am not a brick expert, but rendering would be 1 option, it would be costly to do the entire house though....

24/02/2024
Weed problems

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, has anyone been ask to do the weeds in their property while in the middle of build? We are under the impression that they are in control of the site while they…

16/04/2024
Bathroom floor problems

Bathrooms and Laundry

Have had a few issues with out recently done bathroom floor. Probably around 18 months old First there has been been a crack running through a grout line which I put…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum