Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Formica Laminate Flooring

Page 1 of 1
Hi there, I have just been and had a look at the Formica Range of laminate flooring and really like what I saw. Looking at installing it throughout the whole house once it is built, really like the 8mm Mocha Oak.

Has anyone installed Formica Laminate Flooring and what are your impression of it and any other information you can provide would be greats.

The Dog
I used to install the stuff in the US for 8 years. Floating floors are all about the same. Make sure you do not cheap out on the underlay. If you are installing yourself (and there is no reason why you couldn't) make sure you take your time and follow directions (leaving expansion space between ends and walls is critical to prevent 'cupping').
And the min. width of the expansion space is 8mm. Make sure the short side is parallel to the entrance. It is easy to install laminate flooring. But the foot feel of this type of flooring is as as good as solid wood flooring. Laminate flooring is strong abrasion resistant.
hoffdog,
My Formica lam floor (heavenly oak) went in recently.

I've been told by a professional (who declined to quote) that Formica has a very tight lock, and should only be laid by layers who regularly work with Formica floor. The guy I end up using did a good job at a reasonable price. PM me if you want details.

Chris
We have recently installed it ourselves in our house. It was a bit fiddly but an easy diy. I would not use it again. It is tough and scratch resistant but the dog has scratched it. The slightest bit of moisture causes the joins to swell. Some of the joins are starting to open letting dirt in which means it will never close back again. We used Click seal to prevent these problems but waste of money and time. On a positive side it was cheap, does the job untill kids and dogs grown up and will replace with real timber laminate.
Related
25/11/2023
Laminate flooring and curved brick hearth

Flooring & Floor Covering

Just about completed a renovation project and hit a small issue that we didn’t see We have laminate floors now where we had tiles before (turned out it was actually 2…

25/07/2023
Peeling plastic laminate - advice on removal?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

At a bit of a loss on this one - we're thinking the original owners never removed the protective laminate covers from their kitchen cabinets after installation and in the…

17/10/2023
Hybrid Laminate

General Discussion

We are doing heaps of hybrid at the moment and the cost sits between $60-65/sqm including installation. Stairs are around $90-100 each

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum