Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Fencing leeway - urgent help!

Page 1 of 1
I know it's been mentioned on here and I have been trying to find it on the government websites but every link I seem to follow dies.

What's the margin of error or whatever you want to call it for the fence on a boundary in Victoria? Is it 100mm?? 150mm?

So say for example my neighbour has a distance from his slab to the boundary of 1800mm (or 1820mm) I have 1200mm from slab to boundary and now with the fencing rails up mine is more like 1240mm and his is 1740mm and the width of the fence is 50mm is that too far off course?
So its somehwere between 40-60mm off? I dont see that as being a problem
I see what they have done now!

My neighbours garage is on the boundary and we are only fencing to the rear of the garage and they have fenced to that and it is the same measurement all the way down!

I don't feel so worried now, but still would like to know to what the acceptable allowance is
Seems to be slightly off to your advantage. Would your neighbour pick it up?
Bam
So its somehwere between 40-60mm off? I dont see that as being a problem

Thanks Bam, I don't see it being a problem but my neighbours might!

aaron4erin
Seems to be slightly off to your advantage. Would your neighbour pick it up?

If he brings his tape measure, he is an engineer but as I just posted I can see what the fencers have done so not as worried
I read somewhere...on a council website I think...that the intersection of the palings and the rails should be on the boundary.

Stonnington's website says that "there is no statutory definition as to the correct position a fence should be placed with relation to a title alignment" (http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/www/h ... undary.asp) if you follow the link the report it refers to says that the exact positioning of a fence i.e. is it the paling, the "median" point, is a bit vague.

You could mention it to your neighbour....engineers aren't that scary...
to_do_list
I read somewhere...on a council website I think...that the intersection of the palings and the rails should be on the boundary.

Stonnington's website says that "there is no statutory definition as to the correct position a fence should be placed with relation to a title alignment" (http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/www/h ... undary.asp) if you follow the link the report it refers to says that the exact positioning of a fence i.e. is it the paling, the "median" point, is a bit vague.

You could mention it to your neighbour....engineers aren't that scary...

Thanks TDL, I'm not scared of my neighbour, I just mean that cos he is an engineer he is more likely to measure it
Hey,
We had this problem where our neighbours stuffed up their garage and the fence was going to be 200mm on our land of course we kicked up a massive stink and it ended up only being 30mm on our land and the fence people showed us this document that says there is allowed to be an allowance of up to 50mm, thats in melbourne, which I think your in??
cosmos
Hey,
We had this problem where our neighbours stuffed up their garage and the fence was going to be 200mm on our land of course we kicked up a massive stink and it ended up only being 30mm on our land and the fence people showed us this document that says there is allowed to be an allowance of up to 50mm, thats in melbourne, which I think your in??

Sweet, thanks for that Cosmos!
I think the main thing is that it's not equal its ALL on his side and I've gained space, although it was measured off the garage wall that their builders put on the boundary giving me extra space in a way.
Our fencing contractor told us 60mm.

That was after I made them re-do post holes three times.
60mm I can live with. 2000mm was a bit much.
kek
Our fencing contractor told us 60mm.

That was after I made them re-do post holes three times.
60mm I can live with. 2000mm was a bit much.

Ooooh yeah that's a lot 2000mm!!
Related
28/01/2024
Need urgent help regarding facade colour combination please

Building A New House

Thank you @. Tried to play with the facade models but the exact colour is not matching up.

22/05/2023
Urgent!!! Bathroom walls

General Discussion

Render your bathroom walls, two opinions versus the one, makes you wonder.

19/07/2023
URGENT·····Garage Boundary Wall Water Proofing Issue

Building A New House

thanks Chippy, i hope they have applied sealer but i am doubt to be honest, so i am gonna do this job after handover.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum