Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How many sq's in a house? Is this right? :/

Page 1 of 1
Stupid stupid question, but Im a psychology teacher not maths so I feel excused

I really want to know how many sq's our house is but our designer hasnt told us yet even though Ive asked numerous times. Do I just measure the length x width of each room and add it up?
divide your sqm by 9.29

eg : living space = 245 sqm = 245/9.29 = 26.4 squares
total sqm = 280 sqm = 30.13 squares
Here is a link conversion chart, does the maths for you. The square meters should be on your plans.
http://www.measurement.gov.au/Pages/Met ... rsion.aspx
Cheers Lou
Your plans/construction drawing (usu. 2nd page) should have the total size in square metres and/or squares . If it only shows sq metres, get a google tool to convert it to sq feet, then you just need to put 2 decimal point to the sq feet and viola you get your house measurement in sq.
I havent got any of my drawings yet, Ive only been given my floor plan

tinfish, so I work it out the way I said and then divide by 9.29?? Thanks!
take2
Here is a link conversion chart, does the maths for you. The square meters should be on your plans.
http://www.measurement.gov.au/Pages/Met ... rsion.aspx
Cheers Lou

Thanks Lou!
Bam

tinfish, so I work it out the way I said and then divide by 9.29?? Thanks!

does your floor plan state total living space area? its odd that they dont give u that!
Bam

....so I work it out the way I said and then divide by 9.29?? Thanks!

Bam, you nailed it. If it's a nice neat rectangle, it's simple to just take the outside measurements and then work out the square metres. Assuming your house is an irregular shape, you still ought to be able to divide it into rectangles, work out the area of each and add them together. You might have to deduct porches or courtyards or anything else that projects into the house boundaries, if you know what I mean.

Then you divide by 9-point-whatever.

Easy, see?
tinfish

does your floor plan state total living space area? its odd that they dont give u that!

Nope, its doesnt
kek
Bam

....so I work it out the way I said and then divide by 9.29?? Thanks!

Bam, you nailed it. If it's a nice neat rectangle, it's simple to just take the outside measurements and then work out the square metres. Assuming your house is an irregular shape, you still ought to be able to divide it into rectangles, work out the area of each and add them together. You might have to deduct porches or courtyards or anything else that projects into the house boundaries, if you know what I mean.

Then you divide by 9-point-whatever.

Easy, see?

Woohoo! I worked it out

It was fairly easy to break it up in to rectangles. Its around 24sqs of living, 31 with garage, and 33 with garage and alfresco
Atleast now I have something to work with for getting quotes!
A curiosity, why do you care about Squares anyway? that's an imperial measure that went out back in the 60's, pretty well every house I have seen talks about square metres. My dad still talks in Squares though.

If you are doing the measurements, just realise that the dimensions on a drawing relate to the distance from the outside of the stud and there is no account for linings. It may not seem importnat but if you think that you are getting a 1 metre by 1 mtre shower receptacle think again, you would lose up to 40 mm off that dimension so it would only end up at 960 by 960 after accounting for tiles and villaboard/waterproof gyprock.

Dan
Oh no, I dont care about that - in fact I would be glad to lose some internal space as I feel some things are too big!

We're owner-building, so to get some preliminary quotes on things like heating/cooling etc it makes it easier
Bam
Oh no, I dont care about that - in fact I would be glad to lose some internal space as I feel some things are too big!

We're owner-building, so to get some preliminary quotes on things like heating/cooling etc it makes it easier

No!! things look so different on a plan to in real life... dont wish for less space lol.

Im a bit jaded... We desiged our own house... frame has just gone up and things seem soooo small. We have built before and knew the slab and frame stage would look small but ours looks small!! Maybe I just forget how small they really look (I hope)
I'm discovering all of this now. I'm at slab stage and have only just realised that the measurements on my floorplan is not what I'm really getting.
I didn't think I'd have to take into account the wall space (nobody said anything to me ie builder), so I'm feeling a little jaded/ripped off myself tonight. Maybe thats just all the champers and sun talking. Was out breaking in the new slab today lol
Ms Builder

No!! things look so different on a plan to in real life... dont wish for less space lol.

Im a bit jaded... We desiged our own house... frame has just gone up and things seem soooo small. We have built before and knew the slab and frame stage would look small but ours looks small!! Maybe I just forget how small they really look (I hope)

Oh maybe your right...
I'll probably have a panic attack when things start happening!

Frogger, maybe some more champers and things will look better?
Bam
Frogger, maybe some more champers and things will look better?

I'm hoping the champers yesterday was making us measure all wrong....I'll ask inspector to check.
Related
14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

14/12/2023
How many builders are on this forum?

General Discussion

They already have two well known ones (HIA & MBA) that many new home buyers mistakenly think are regulatory bodies that Joe Public can complain to.

17/06/2023
Right sand to use?

Paving & Concreting

I'm putting a new floor in my kitchen, slate flagging on a standard concrete slab. I have allowed for a bed thickness of up to 20mm to accommodate the different…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum