Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How a builder responds to issues seems most important...

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I have been trolling through the forum reading heaps of material about peoples experience with builders.

Also, I found this site which allows people to review a range of builders: http://www.productreview.com.au/categor ... at_id=1944

Most of the reviews are from people unhappy with their builder. While I accept that people with no complaints probably don’t post on that website, some of the builders are given SO MANY bad wraps that they cannot be ignored...

Things like:

• Difficult to contact supervisors
• Bungled paperwork
• Increase in prices after Contracts are signed
• Poor workmanship not covered under warranty as it was "Built to a Standard"
• Build time blow outs

And a lot of these builders are household names: AV Jennings and Dixon Homes just to name a few...

By stumbling across that site, my search has moved from what inclusions a builder offers to: HOW THE BUILDER RESPONDS TO ISSUES after I have signed my contract.

I began reading about NUSTEEL Homes the other day and they have this two contract process.

1st Contract: NUSTEEL prepares materials for the home
2nd Contract: Engage a builder to complete the home (with the option to change the builder if it doesn't work out)

I am going of the top of my head there, so I can't remember how it says you can change builders, but it seems like a good option (though I am sure the contract is still weighted towards the builder).

I will continue to do more research on the forum and elsewhere to educate myself on what to look out for...I will update this post as I find good information.

In the end, I feel like I know I am going to get shafted somewhere during our build, but at least I will be better prepared for it.

By being prepared, hopefully I can either:

• Move on from a hopeless situation with some dignity;
• Be able to persuasively argue my point in my favour

Can others add things to look out for, the type of thing that really sideswipe the unwary???

Also, are there any other forums like this Homeone one? It is a really good forum, but it is the only one I can find in Australia…

Thanks in advance,

Alf…
I think you can never be prepared well enough. I am learning on our own mistakes. We didn't take almost any precautions early on and I didn't look up the web (and H1, for that matter), so we like babies, totally unprepared. Just what the builder needed!
Now that I'm discovering facts and getting comparable information, I am starting to be dissapointed (because I realised what's happened). For example, blown out and set in concrete site costs (we couldn't have known that the builder was dishonest and we thought our site costs were tailored to our site, but at least we could have compared other people's costs to ours, even roughly; there is a topic somewhere on that).
Another thing is to ask for contract changes as soon as you get the draft copy. Do not leave it to the end because you will not have time and they will be pressing you with the tender expiry.
Another - be careful of what are they demanding of you before the tender expiry. Do not accept demolition to be done prior to tender expiry; it should be done after the contract is signed.
Check the plans for every single detail every single time it gets out of their drawings room. My experience is - the plans are totally riddled with their mistakes. If they fix some, always be prepared that they will make new ones.
Check the last (construction) plan again and again. Same for the tender document. Sometimes they can make "silent" changes (ie. without even letting you know) just to make their building job easier.
Be persistent with asking them to fix every single thing to how you want it.
Our builder has double charged us for the same item and so far is playing silly and refusing to fix it.
If they are not offering you anything for free, ASK for it. Quite a few people got asked if they would like to receive this or that - just like that!
Hmmm ... there is more but cant think of it now, tired
Hm, I realise I was only talking about pre-construction ... well, we've just started the construction so I don't have great many tips. Am looking forward to seeing some ...
Hi Alf,

As a builder - this is definitely a topic that stands out to me as i'm always mindful of how we can do things better.

To put it to you straight - you will not find a builder who has not experienced a problem on site. For some unfortunate reason, there is sometimes a job which doesn't go to plan and despite best efforts, you feel like you can't be given a break. The difference is what happens when the problem arises - a good builder will admit to the fault, and put every effort into making it good again. a bad builder will deny all and not return calls.

so how do you find these builders? not sure to be honest - a sales rep will sell you the home, but the supervisor will make the world of difference. we have 5 supervisors in our company and while they are all very good, each has their own strength and weakness - they are only human after all.

attitude has a big impact - when someone comes to us to build their home but from day 1 has the attitude that we are out to screw them, it is difficult for us as we are going to be instantly weary of them too. relate it to a relationship - if you entered into a relationship with another person and from day 1 were convinced they were going to ******** on you, how is that relationship ever going to work well?
find the person that makes you feel comfortable - culture in a business is an important thing and if you feel comfortable and positive about what's going to happen, things will definitely transcend that way.

ask for things like your site costs and make sure they are specific to your site - a lot will ball park it and once you've signed, will firm up the quote. while this is easier and quicker, it can leave you with a nasty surprise.
keep a close eye on your budget - if you walk in saying your budget for the home is 250k - stick to it. people creep up to 260-270k, then do prestart and upgrade a heap of stuff then blame us as the builder for slugging them costs. we simply did what we were told to do. the lesson here is to control your budget, but also control the builder - make sure they are listening and bring them back to the point if you need to.

there also seems to be a attitude or mindset that builders are out to screw people over - i can safely say we definitely are not! building a home is a lengthy process compared to anything else you buy - why would we want to screw someone over and then live with it for the next 6 months?

if anything - have fun and enjoy the process. your building your dream home and you get to meet a variety of people along the way - visit your site and as others have said, take a few beers and in the afternoon chat to them about what's going on over a beer. they will love you for it and love that your taking an interest - by being happy with you they will certainly go the extra mile as they won't be afraid either.

hope this helps in some form
Hi Jay,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread...Your reply was excellent...

While I think I will always err on the side of caution, your words will make my approach more positive. Choosing a builder that seems to respond fairly to issues is still priority, but at least I won't go in there accusing them of ripping me off before we even start...

Your relationship analogy made sense to me. You are correct, if I went in to the build 'relationship' with a negative attitude, my prophecy would probably be fulfilled.

I realise now that my attitude was initially influenced by an aquantance who was very unhappy with their build. Now that I think about it, they are fairly negative and aggressive about everything, so they probably put the builder offside instantly.

I will definetly take a few slabs of beer down to the site over the build period (when we finally decide to build). That is a great idea!

I hesitated at first to posting this thread, but I am glad I did...

I still have plenty to learn, but now it will have a bit more positive spin...

I look forward to unearthing and sharing the knowledge, guidance and lessons from the experiences of others, both builders and homeowners in this forum.

Thanks again,

Regards ALF
Lex,
thanks for you comments also...

Pre contract/construction
Post contract/construction
6 month issues register warranty
structural warranty

Whatever experiences anyone has I am interested in....

Thanks for posting...

Regards
Alf...
Hi everyone, I know this is a bit off the topic , but could someone let me know how you can make sure the kitchen laminate benchtops dont get covered in glue and muck whilst in the process of building. We have built once before and our son has just built (both times with project builders) , and the same problem has happened whereby when it comes to handover the benchs have been cleaned but you can see the marks where there has been glue or some other mucky stuff been on there, and no matter how I tried to get it off it somehow wont budge and when the light hits the kitchen benches you can see it is 'not quite nice and smooth looking' As we are now building again
is it okay to ask our supervisor to put some sort of covering over the bench or could we do it ? Could we put bubble wrap and masking tape to keep it pristine ? We are not sure what the protocol on this is .. Please help us
as we have paid extra to get a nice quality laminate ..
Related
27/10/2023
Your most important inspection? Pre contract review.

General Discussion

The worst thing you can do is sign a building contract without a pre contract review. Over the years many people have come to me with disputes where they just signed…

24/09/2023
Most affordable paint brand

General Discussion

Thank you. That is really helpful. Once we get the place done and passed for OC we can upgrade in the future once we get back on our feet and not paying mortgage and rent.

11/07/2023
Any issues?

Building A New House

I am looking at building a house. Has anyone used Construkt Homes (based in Adelaide)? Does anyone have experience with this builder?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum