Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Big M / Metr!con Homes: - Studio M & Upgrade Prices!

Page 4 of 7
Aussie we are going to build the Kingston...have you seen it in real life...Its gorgeous.
Aussie_Chik
Thanks slknv

Loving your blogspot at the mo - just wish the kids would give me more time to read. I was particularly interested in your change of facade. We too are currently looking a the Kingston. Mind if I pick your brain about it. I can either continue under this thread, add a new one or PM - what would you prefer?

If you want to ask me a Q about the facade, maybe best to post it under my thread at viewtopic.php?t=22042 I think. I'll put a few pics of other facades on that thread too.

The Nolan also now has a Plantation facade on the M website, but it looks a bit strange, I think it's because it's a CGI pic that didn't quite work out! Liberty with Plantation facade looks awesome, not so much on the Nolan.
I was wondering if anyone had the prices to upgrade the following.

timber flooring and deck
bar area in rumpus
colourbond roof
security screens

We went and had a look at one of the display homes and fell in love with the bar they had and want to know if I should just stop dreaming.
I can't tell you specifically, but I can say that if you want your home to look like an (admittedly consistantly awesome) Metricon display, then I'd suggest you try and save money on fuel by driving your Porshe instead of the Bugatti
i have just put down my $1000 to m3triconwe are building the santorini 29 and think this has been very informative, thank you.
i was told yesterday that they have a special at the moment where colourbond roof is $1950 at the moment.
We were lucky enough last year to sign up at a time they had a 'free colourbond roof upgrade' Which was awesome as were going to pay it anyway!! But we were told that the actual cost for our 31 sq house would have been approx 5k?
Anyone ever managed to negotiate on price or get any extras thrown in???
Aussie_Chik

Our experience was that they don't negotiate - it costs what it costs.

We did manage to find an error in their estimating system - the standard outdoor room on the Tribeca 40 is 5.17m x 3.36m, with the Grand Outdoor Room being a 1.68m extension, making it 5.17m x 5.04m. However in our initial estimates with our SC, they were quoting a 3.48m extension, making it 5.17m x 6.84m, and it was $62 cheaper than the 1.68m extension !

We signed the quote with the error on it and paid our deposit so they were bound to honor it.
Aussie_Chik

You can't really negotiate on price but we had a few extras thrown in like the concrete slab in the alfresco which costs $4000+ and we also got the momentum promotion for free ($1990). Our contract has also expired for 3 months, but we only paid the first month penalty which is not really a biggie compared to almost 9k that we saved.
Thanks the pondsies

Any tips for how you managed to get your throw ins? We've sat down with them a few times now and so far no offerings have been made despite our best efforts.
Aussie_Chik
Any tips for how you managed to get your throw ins?

Well, our situation was a bit different, we paid the initial deposit of $1000 back in August. The sales consultant in the display home has convinced (or more like manipulated) us into putting in a deposit to lock in the price knowing that our land won't be registered til late January 2010. It was stupid of us not to read the tender thoroughly before signing (lesson learned
) that it will expire in 150 days. We just knew when we saw the prelim contract that it actually expires on Jan 20. We kept on requesting for an extension stating the doing of their sales consultant but they wouldn't budge instead they've given us the freebies mentioned on my previous post. So it's a matter of perseverance and a good CSR who actually requested M on our behalf to reduce our penalty fees from 3 months to 1.
Aussie Chik, we also tried negotiating on the other upgrade cost but to no avail.
Hi everyone, thanks for the info. This is really great!

We are also building with M and this will give us an idea on the building and selection process.
thepondsies

It was stupid of us not to read the tender thoroughly before signing (lesson learned
) that it will expire in 150 days. We just knew when we saw the prelim contract that it actually expires on Jan 20. We kept on requesting for an extension stating the doing of their sales consultant but they wouldn't budge instead they've given us the freebies mentioned on my previous post.

I am also building at The Ponds and I believe we are building the same thing. Our land is not going to be registered to December of this year. But like you, we are also manipulated to "lock in" the today's price. In our case we were given 240 days tender expiry date. Did you have the same thing then?
my build has finally started with BIG M.... santorini 29 with kingston facade.

thread here if you're interested - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=33366
guys, for those that are currently building or built with BiG M, how did your house evaluation come back as?

i have concern with bank evaluating house on much much lower value compared to the market price.
Hi All

Can anyone out there give me a feel for what they spent at their electrical appt? Am trying to do a rough budget before this appt. Otherwise, any costs for celing fans, telephone points, internet cabling/wiring etc

Thx Aussie_Chik
My advice is to do any electrical upgrades directly with your sparky. No M mark up and the possibility of a further discount if you can pay cash. My upgrades cost $2700 which I'm sure would of been around $4000 had I done this through M.
Aussie Chik

I am doing most of my electricals myself but the following are some of the things from their price list.

Antenna Package $360.00
IXL Tastic (2 burner lamp) $425
Pre wire for ceiling fan $155
Junction Boxes for future external lights $56 per box
External Double Flood light (fitting only) $123.00
External Single Flood light (fitting only) $90
Three way light switch $100
Wall light point with batten holder $56
Double Power Point $61
10amp weather proof power point $112
extra power circuit $168
single power point $51.00
Digital TV pack (I only got the 2 input 4 output) $550.00
Hub TV point $134.00
I also paid to upgrade my heating from 3* to 4* for additional $773 over a 26 square home

I have chosen not to do any of my lighting upgrades with M as they were charging about 50% more than the retail price of some of the lights they were selling. I have however had the junction boxes installed and all lights that they put in are batten. I have to get an electrician in to install my oven and so will have my fans, pendants and outdoor lights installed myself.

Having said that my upgrade was just over $3100.00. This will probably jump another $1000.00 by the time I add the rest of my lights and fan in.

Hope this helps

kayjay
tempura
guys, for those that are currently building or built with BiG M, how did your house evaluation come back as?

i have concern with bank evaluating house on much much lower value compared to the market price.

hey there, mine came in higher than total price of the house and land (bought the block about 8 months ago though).

how did you go?
Hi,
Did anyone upgrade their bricks and to what category did you go??....How much extra did you pay???.....Thanks..
Hi emilygirl

Brick upgrade prices vary depending on what category and your house type. If you give me the brick and house I can tell you what the cost will be.

Studio M give you a colour selection pack with prices for both brick and roof tile if you pay them a visit on a Saturday.
Related
26/12/2023
Granny Flat + Studio

Building A New House

I would suggest you simply go and talk to council about your proposal, most councils are getting onboard with ancillary dwellings. There is no benefit in keeping it…

15/02/2024
Welcome to 2024 - Gyprocking prices have increased 40%!

Building A New House

Tradie may sit at home but will need to get house plastered as well or will you sit it out?

17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum