Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who cleans your site before beginning? UPDATED pg2

Page 1 of 2
Does the builder clean up any mess/rubbish that is there in preparation for site cut or is it your responsibility?

I ask because my neighbours seem to see my empty land next to them as a dumping ground - as well as the big pile of fence offcuts from when they put the fence up, we now have a lovely pile of cracked and broken leftover pavers, nice one.

If its up to me to clean it then I'll go visit my neighbour
But if the builders happily clean up first then its ok I guess.

Cheers
Caz
Surely in this case it's your neighbour's responsibility!
Hi, I am pretty sure it would be up to you to clear your site yourself. First thing would be to talk to your neighbour. Also read through your contract and maybe your council might be of some help.I doubt the whether the builder would and if they do then they would probably charge you.
We are in exactly the same situation as you at the moment. We are the only vacant block on the street and our block has been used as the street dumping ground. It is very frustrating as we have to pay to remove it. Our building contract states that we have to provide a level, sandy block so we are in the process of removing the rubbish and removing the crop of weeds that have accumulated over the past year or so. Our builder is going to start any time so as we speak my hubby is out there taking trailer loads to the tip - not cheap but we don't want to give the builder any reason to take longer to start so we are getting rid of it!!! I have to admit it is VERY annoying but not much we can do as the neighbours are not keen to own up to dumping the rubbish there.
I believe that would be you unfortuantly. We have a vacant block next door and the neighbour on the other side of it dumps stuff on it. At first it was builders doing the dumping, I reported it to council and developers did not care. Then the estate was having a grand opening of display village, as we are near by it would not look very nice so the developers cleared the block.
That neighbour is now dumping new stuff, large bits of concrete a tree from their nature strip. When I told the owner about the first lot of dumping I did not even get a thank you.

As the neighbour has dumped the rubbish next to his drive it is obvious who did it.

Just thought I would share this story.

Good luck with your neighbours..
KrustyBaldivis
Our building contract states that we have to provide a level, sandy block so we are in the process of removing the rubbish and removing the crop of weeds that have accumulated over the past year or so. Our builder is going to start any time so as we speak my hubby is out there taking trailer loads to the tip - not cheap but we don't want to give the builder any reason to take longer to start so we are getting rid of it!!! I have to admit it is VERY annoying but not much we can do as the neighbours are not keen to own up to dumping the rubbish there.

Ooh do I have to get rid of the weeds too? The grass/weeds are getting awfully high, might need a good mow.

Our neighbours rubbish is directly next to the fence between us so its fairly obvious it was them, will go have a chat today.
Talk to your neighbour. If they acknowledge that its their rubbish on your property, put it back on the neighbour's property.

It's like when you hire a skip bin. No sooner is it delivered that the neighbours think it's for their benefit.
In my contract I had a clause regarding debris and weeds. So, I was visiting the site once every few months to pull the weeds out. A few weeks before the start some slob unloaded a few cubic metres of soil on my land so I went to a Bunnings, spent a few bucks on a shovel and then few more hours exercising.
I recevied a letter from my builder before they began indicating the condition they would require th site to be in prior to works commencing.

Mine was a knockdown rebuild but the same applies for a vacant block. Clear of any waste material and grass not to be taller than knee high.

I didn't ask who's knee I needed to use as reference.
ebyelyakov
In my contract I had a clause regarding debris and weeds. So, I was visiting the site once every few months to pull the weeds out. A few weeks before the start some slob unloaded a few cubic metres of soil on my land so I went to a Bunnings, spent a few bucks on a shovel and then few more hours exercising.

I wonder what makes people think its ok to dump stuff on empty land? Surely they realise it will cost you to remove it, not a nice way to start neighbourly relations is it?
cazoraz
I wonder what makes people think its ok to dump stuff on empty land? Surely they realise it will cost you to remove it, not a nice way to start neighbourly relations is it?

Exactley!! We have people dumping stuff on our block all the time, wooden crates, plastic chairs, even a pool lounge
. When we were up there one day the lady from in front of us came storming up (first time we'd ever meet her) and started ranting to my DH about the grass needing to be mowed blah blah blah, so I went over and said what's the problem, so she repeated her rant to me. I said "yeah sure will get straight to it as soon as your hubby gets his boat off our block"
I mean seriously if she had of just come over and said it nicely, much more effective and considering they had been using our block as a garage for about 6 months for their boat I think a tad over the top.

I'm pleased to report that since this altercation they have moved
BecH
When we were up there one day the lady from in front of us came storming up (first time we'd ever meet her) and started ranting to my DH about the grass needing to be mowed blah blah blah, so I went over and said what's the problem, so she repeated her rant to me. I said "yeah sure will get straight to it as soon as your hubby gets his boat off our block"
I mean seriously if she had of just come over and said it nicely, much more effective and considering they had been using our block as a garage for about 6 months for their boat I think a tad over the top.

I'm pleased to report that since this altercation they have moved

WHat a nerve!! If I was using someone's block for free I wouldn't be complaining about it, how rude! Glad she has moved away from you
BecH
I said "yeah sure will get straight to it as soon as your hubby gets his boat off our block"

I think my response would have been to smile sheepishly, apologise for not keeping the grass in check ... then by the end of the day there would be a for sale sign on the boat and an ad booked in the local classifieds
cazoraz

I wished I knew who was it
As an old saying says, there just a very few items one can observe infinitely: an open fire and how others work while you're relaxing.... So yeah, I missed such a rare opportunity

A guy who's building just across the street had to clean up mattresses and other debris that neighbours would dump on his property during the construction... Last week someone stole a pallet of bricks from his land...
It is your responsibility to clean the block prior to site cut.

BeCH, AJV & KrustyBaldivis we too had so much of rubbish on our block dumped by initially the builders from the neighbouring blocks then I think the neighbours themselves.
We were dissapointed when we had to clean the site. There was rubble - broke bricks, roof tiles and tiles and there was concrete just poured on our land at corners.
There was piles and piles of extra soils.
Took us 1 week to clean the land.

I just wish people would think a bit more before doing something like that because how would they like it if it was there vacant block of land??
I agree it just isn't fair! We need all the money we have to finish our place off not to get rid of other people's rubbish!! Hopefully our builder wont take too long now to start, we dont want to have to go back to clear more rubbish!!!
Unfortunately, some people seem to consider vacant blocks as equivalent to a public tip site.
There are very few blocks left in our section of the estate, and we've been watching with amazement as piles of soil, building debris, broken furniture etc have been appearing on one near us. I pity the poor owner who'll have to remove it all.

You could try putting up a sign along the lines of "private property - no dumping of rubbish" but I don't know how much effect it will have.
kek
You could try putting up a sign along the lines of "private property - no dumping of rubbish" but I don't know how much effect it will have.

SO far its just our immediate neighbour, but there are 2 other blocks opposite us that are starting to build also, so I hope I dont end up with any of their rubbish!

I'll go chat to my neighbour later on - if I send DH he will be too subtle, I am slightly more tactless.
We were lucky and were the first to build in our stage. So, people came along and dumped stuff, but they dumped on our neighbours' lots. We were careful to ensure that none of our builders rubble ended up there though, and the builder was really good about this too. I'm not sure who cleaned up the neighbours lots when they started building, but someone obviously did.
We didn't have to clean our site
Our builder did that with a bobcat.
Related
25/12/2023
Foil wrap not done before brickwork

General Discussion

I am in the same situation, would you be able to give some insights in to this? I am in SA

2/09/2023
Questions to ask a builder before you begin?

Building A New House

Ardo That is so funny! I wonder how many people know who Larry Haun is these days. I have a couple of young guys we call Mo 1 & Mo 2 who run a crew of 6 boys and…

3/10/2023
Building fence before the house

Building A New House

Building a fence now will help limit people dumping rubbish and soil on your property. Many houses in suburbia on small lots have fences up before a build. I moved into a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum