Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Land size

Page 1 of 1
Is it just me, or does someone else also think that the quoting of land size (when purchasing a block of land) is a crock?!

Let me explain - we are looking for another block of land (a whole other story in itself).

We look at a block which is about 730 sqm, or roughly 19m x 39m. Great! I can build the houe we want, and have a big shed.

Stupid me - that word - "Easement". There's an easement of 3 metres at the back of the land - in effect making the usable area (for the purposes of my shed) 19m x 36m.

Grrr. Sorry. Had to let off steam.

Perry
ahhh....new block??!!

We also have a 3m easement along the back boundry, which is 37m long.....so we have a 111m2 easement!! Damm pipes!
Still...the sewage gotta go somewhere!!

So have you given the other block the flick??
I understand what you mean but it is all there isn't it !! You could put a garden on it !

But yes it's fristrating - same thing happens when an agent says 30 acres, you get there and it's a 60 degree slope to the creek or a nice dry paddock that you can just see in rainy season - it'll all be under 10 cm of water for 4 months.
Both are 30 acres - ones OK if you like goats and bracken the other well ?? - You'd better have a fettish for a pair of wellingtons & mossies !!!!

Steve
Hi Vanderlay - the situation with the other block is that we signed a contract for it almost 6 months ago, with the understanding that the earthworks would commence asap, and the title would be available by now.

To date, as you can see form the blog, nothing has happened. Excuses about getting approvals from the relevant authorities... but no dirt has been moved.

We are getting tired of waiting, so thought we would look at some alternatives.

Frustrating? Yep.

That reminds me... I need to update the blog.

Cheers
Perry
We have a 3m easement at the back of our property. Thing is, everyone (and I do mean everyone) in the ranges has septic systems. There is NO sewerage system/pipes.

I think they were planning for the future, but to be honest, I don't see it happening in my lifetime. So I have planted a hedge on it and if by some miracle they do deciede to lay some pipe, then I'll have to rip up the hedge but I am not stressed about that ever happening.

So in a way I get that land back as I wanted a hedge there anyway.

3xb
perryr
Hi Vanderlay - the situation with the other block is that we signed a contract for it almost 6 months ago, with the understanding that the earthworks would commence asap, and the title would be available by now.

To date, as you can see form the blog, nothing has happened. Excuses about getting approvals from the relevant authorities... but no dirt has been moved.

We are getting tired of waiting, so thought we would look at some alternatives.

Frustrating? Yep.

That reminds me... I need to update the blog.

Cheers
Perry

Fair enough too.....

Hey, if you find a nice simple block you might end up back at PD.....
or maybe not....
That would be funny...
Don't laugh - I think we are going back to PD.

Reasons are on the blog, but the scenario was this:

1. Go double storey instead of single - smaller footprint means the trees are no longer a problem. Retaining wall substantially lower, and may not be needed at all.

2. Look at various builders with double storeys. Dennis Riverton was nice. So are a couple others. Some are far too expensive, others won't build in Geelong.

3. Look at the Cremorne at PD. Damn. They do nice houses.

Sigh.

Perry
Hi there Perry,

I had a look at the Cremorne from PD, and yes, they do display their homes beautifully. Looks like a great house.

Good luck with finding the right home for your block.

Donna.
Related
18/07/2023
Ryobi wet saw C-125A blade size?

General Discussion

All sorted guys. Just needed to buy a blade with the correct bush. Dunno how to delete this post, can't find any help file. Cheers.

20/07/2023
Double door frame size

General Discussion

Current door width is approx 2700, looking to have double doors fitted 820-820. What size does the frame need to be before door jamb? Thanks

16/10/2023
CDC Corner Balcony Size

General Discussion

Dear all, Requesting your help in relation to a CDC code. We are building a new home in NSW on a corner lot (500m2, 15m wide) following Greenfield CDC code. Our design…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum