Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Am I crazy? Re-painting internally..

Page 1 of 1
So in the process of building a new house, have been stuffed around quite a bit by our builder. We had to change our tile colour last week (due to the tile supplier going broke) and with that changed our internal wall colour to match.

At this stage we are really rushing with our decisions as we just want the thing done so we can move in! Final coat of paint went on today, so when we went to see the house this afternoon I saw that internal wall colour DOES NOT match our colour selections, and quite frankly everything looks, well, mismatched. So, I have just called our painter for a quote to re-paint the whole house.....

My partner agrees that the wall colour does not match our selections but thinks that I am absolutely crazy for wanting to have the whole house re-painted. He thinks that whilst the colour doesnt necessarily match perfectly, we should live with it. By no means are we in a position to just throw money around on a new paint job but I dont think I will be happy otherwise..

What does everyone else think?
OMG Aly I am in a very similar situation. I chose the colour on our wall but it turned out VERY different to what I was expecting.

Well, my decision is easy, I have to repaint whole house post-handover. I was going to paint a couple of rooms anyway (eg. home theatre chocolate) but now, it appears no room will escape my brush except the garage! That can stay the same...

We thought about paying painters to do it, but I'd rather save the few thousand, which I expect it will be...

let me know what you decide, check my blog for more on this topic!

have you got a blog?
Hi AnnieTom so glad to hear someone is in a similar situation! I was thinking of having it done post-handover (will definitely save more money this way) but it's such a comprehensive job I just want it done now before tiles are laid! Painter said he will do a quote for us this weekend, seems like a really nice guy so maybe he'll take pity on us..

Don't have a blog, probably a good thing with all the problems we've had it wouldn't be much of an inspirational read lol..
do me a fav aly, let me know what he quotes you, it would be nice to know how much I'm saving...

ta
I'm a very easy going person but won't be at peace in a house with mismatched colours or colours that I don't approve of!
Did you check that the colours you chose are the actual colours applied ?. Building code states if its the painters mistake he must correct it free of charge. Aslong as it is his fault, you should also have had a colour consultancy with the painter, every job i do we show the colour to the owners BEFORE we apply it.
Hey Aly88,

I feel for you. Paint colours end up looking so different once they're on the wall from their little sample chips. And the changing tile selections only add to the complexity.

I got zero help from my 'colour consultant' when choosing paint (they didn't even have paint cards to look at). She started describing what each white looked like

I gave up and told them to paint my house standard white and I'll get a real professional, like a Dulux Colour Consultant, in to consult after handover. I'll do it after I've chosen all my furnishings so they'll be able to come up with a perfect colour scheme to suit.

But yeah... if you're not happy with your colour, definitely change it. It's a really important part of the house and you want it done right!
Related
29/08/2023
Sandstone crazy paving quote

Landscape & Garden Design

I had 28m2 of engineered pavers laid six months back and it was difficult to find someone not taking the pi$$. Internet suggested it should be $85-100/m2 to lay them.…

14/07/2023
Painting Multifinish Plaster

Building A New House

Hi, Have used the Dulux 1 step, oil base on my walls(white set), out of can it’s already a more thinner product than a final coat paint Also in water base Water or…

5/03/2024
Painting Acrylic rendered retaining wall

General Discussion

Thanks mate, is there a standard off the shelf type breathable product I can apply DIY? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum