Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

"RUBBISH" -anyone pulling stuff out of yor miniskips?

Page 1 of 1
Hi y'all. Has anyone been noticing what has been thrown into your miniskip, and has anyone been pulling this so-called "rubbish" back out? I am gobsmacked at the amount of stuff that has made its way into my miniskip- rows and rows and rows of unused nailgun nails, unopened boxes of metal straps for the framework,full lenghts of timber (not to mention very sizable lengths of offcuts) nearly a full palate of bricks,an unopened drum of calblack (i think this is waterproofing stuff for the brickwork stage) etc etc. I hate seeing things go to waste or to landfill so i have been pulling out SOOOOO much usable stuff to use or give away one day/some day. I'm lucky I am living on site on 2 & 1/2 acres so there's a bit room to put this stuff away until it finds a "home". I could easily build a grannyflat (if i knew how). What also annoys me is alot of the tradies rubbish doesn't make it into the bin,yet all the usable stuff does.
We took a bunch of leftover colorbond and the matching colorbond screws (with permission)

We plan to make a matching dog kennel hehe

Other than that.. Im more amazed at the stuff that other random ppl are putting in our rubbish pile - dishwasher boxes... and all sorts of crap. Use your own dam bins!
here here! I found one of the tradies personal mail tossed in there- his telstra bill and his centrelink stuff, even one shoe.I just hope all the building materials I found was 'over-ordered' stuff and not 'forgotten to use' materials
Someone once offloaded and old couch into ours
This wasn't in our skip but in a pile of rubbish, the kitchen installers put in the kitchen then unwrapped and put in our appliances. The left all the appliance boxes and padding in a pile in the living room. That night we were throwing out the boxes, lucky I was checking the boxes as I was going because I found the glass tray that goes in the microwave in the pile of rubbish.

One mans trash is another mans microwave tray.
i took out a heap of small wood off cuts for the communtity kindy they love wood work.
milly_monster
i took out a heap of small wood off cuts for the communtity kindy they love wood work.

Actually Milly, that is a great idea!! I cant beleive I didnt think of that
we rescued several set of correct installation instructions for things that were not done properly. some eco flaps for 2 bathroom ixl heaters ( we'd paid extra to have these installed. the sparky claimed no one had ever asked for them to be installed b4. hmm hello we paid additional price to get this version with the flaps. you really think we don't want them installed? the version without the flaps was more that $40 cheaper. )

we also grabbed the empty boxes for our downlight globes so we'd know what to buy and we grabbed additional roofing tin and some insulation that was ditched in case we wanted to use it later on. We also grabbed a few spare tiles as at the time we didn't know how many would be left over . (we had heaps) and quite a few nails and other bits and pieces.
arg... bin scabs!
Just kidding - go nuts. No I haven't taken anything from our mini bin.

apparently (my parents tell me) there is a trailer in the middle of my empty block. I suspect a neighbour is using our block as a huge driveway. Perhaps I should tell them if it is still there next time they are passing by, they can have it. I hope possesion is still 9/10ths the law!

At the very least when we have a start date, I'll get them to find the owner and have it removed.
I was too slow, and it was stolen before I got to keep them. My 2 pak kitchen drawers were all changed so the handles were in the middle instead of off centre, and they got thrown away. My neighbour told me people were taking them out of my bin, they might of come in handy one day?
Damn cheeky if you ask me! How people think its ok to go through property thats not theirs is beyond me!! Even if it is a rubbish bin, its NOT THEIR RUBBISH to take!! It's still got me that any surplus materials remain the property of the builder, regardless if its in the bin or not, even though I've paid for it!!!!!!
I have stuff added to my bin too, most recently about 100 piles of junk mail, roof tiles (i have colour bond) and a whole packet of adult diapers.
EW!!!!
The adult diapers, were brand new, fully sealed. I have had a couple of dirty baby nappies, what do people do, walk down the street to throw it in the skip, dosn't make sense to me.
I haven't pulled anything out as yet, but i chucked a whole lot of the builders rubbish in today. I don't mean left over materials but plastic bags from insulation, empty paslode nail boxes, empty coke cans. I hope they don't behave like this at home....their better halve would be very annoyed i imagine.

My husband is busting to collect the broken bricks though, he wants them for our brick fences and it means he wont have to cut so many, lol.
Last time I built my father-in-law noticed one of the neighbours collecting stuff out of the bin. That's OK by me. But when that stuff in the bin wasn't enough for him and he started taking materials that were waiting for installation, that's when the neighbour got an earful.
Related
16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

19/11/2023
HIA Contract Clause 16.2 Delays to Carrying Out the Works Af

Building A New House

Unless there is something in special conditions the builder does not have to give you timeline. If your demolition contractor has not removed Asbestos and it was found…

3/12/2023
brickwork out of level

Building A New House

Thanks for the informative response! I'll feed that back to the site supervisor.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum