Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Built with Big M in Marriott Waters - Love Our House

Page 7 of 9
I just caught up with your thread and I'm sorry to hear you are still having issues with those bricks.
Just out of curiosity, what or how can they fix it? re-brick or render or monetary compensation?
Hels
I just caught up with your thread and I'm sorry to hear you are still having issues with those bricks.
Just out of curiosity, what or how can they fix it? re-brick or render or monetary compensation?

I will insist that the builder fixes the water problem run off the flushing and over the spouting, so that there are no more water spills down the bricks. As it looks like a big desgin fault with the facade.

If this problem isn't fixed, it dosen't matter what repair work the builder does the problem will still be there.
mickeyb
Hels

I will insist that the builder fixes the water problem run off the flushing and over the spouting, so that there are no more water spills down the bricks. As it looks like a big desgin fault with the facade.

If this problem isn't fixed, it dosen't matter what repair work the builder does the problem will still be there.

Interesting... I wonder if they have had this problem with other houses that have the same facade
Hels
mickeyb
Hels

Interesting... I wonder if they have had this problem with other houses that have the same facade

This is the only house with this facade and it's one of there most expensive faades. The house we choose is one of the builders most popular house, but the facade is very rare due to the cost, so not many people would have it, also this is the first time for our SS building a house with this facade.

They also had problems with the roof and it took months for them to complete it.

Today I emailed our SS the picture which is just posted on by blog with what I think could be causing the problem and also asked the question could there be a desgin fault.

I just hope the builder dosn't brush this to aside or gives us the run around.
No, you must stick to your guns and insist that they fix it. Definitely withold payment too if it comes to that. I hope it gets sorted soon so you can put it behind you and move into your beautiful home.
mickeyb
Hi guy received a phone call from our SS last Friday saying everything should be done by this Friday and we should organise our final payment with the bank.

My partner and I went for a drive yesterday to have a look at the house, we couldn’t see too much from looking in the windows but all the red dots where gone from what we could see, which looks like a good sign. But the bricks at the front of the house are still heart breaking to look at.

When we had our inspection, this particular part of brick work at the front of the house had just been washed and the bricks were all wet, so you could see any defects. Now that the bricks have dried up, the discoloured bricks and defects standout once again.

There were a few brick issues picked up with our inspector during his inspection, which he noted for the builder to fix. The recommendations which are on his report are there because the defects he found have broken the tolerance building standard or a building act and that the builder must fix.

We emailed our inspector when we arrived home and within two hours we had a reply on a public holiday, he replied along the lines of; if they don’t fix the defects, you don’t give the builder there final payment until they fix the defects or you can come up with some kind of agreement with the builder. Otherwise we have every right to take the builder to VCAT, which my partner and I would hate for it to go there as our SS has been fantastic throughout the whole building process, and also going to VCAT can take months and still be costly. But if we don’t get a positive outcome we have no choice and take the builder to VCAT.

My partner and I have our fingers crossed and we look up to the sky and hope everything will be fixed by our next inspection.

I wouldn't release the final payment until the solution is satisfactory.
Have you asked them if they can use Nawkaw? It worked well for us.
Fingers crossed for you but the only way you will get something out of it is if you hold off the final payment. Good luck!
I think problem solved, my SS rang me yesterday and told me he was at the house at the time of the heavy rain and saw the gutter overflow with water and also saw water running down the bricks, so he came up with the conclusion that the gutter doesn’t have enough fall towards the downpipe. He has organised this to be fixed at some stage next week.

For the builders own sake, I just hope the bricks are not damaged or permanently discoloured.

All red dots and extras have been completed, I just hope the next inspection the house is 110% and that handover can be done.
Good to see things are finally looking up. Won't be long and you will be in your nice new house and all these problems will be a distant memory

kayjay
I feel like I now just writing about all the faults I’m finding on the house. It’s now 8mths since site start and we are at the stage were all errors must be ironed out before handover.

Maybe as we are in no rush for the house, it doesn’t mean the builder can just prolong our build and have it ready when they feel like.

There have been quite a few double storey houses built near where we are building and they all started earlier this year and the owner are now all in and they’re doing all their extra personal touches to the house. This is upsetting and very frustrating knowing that our house has been sitting there nearly complete for around 2mths.

To make things worse we saw that there are more defects on the house from last Sundays visit as it had just rained. From my last post this time it’s the other side of the same wall affected with water running down the bricks from the flushing and also the Portico pillar has water running down it from the water outlet which allows water to run off the portico roof. Maybe the outlet pipe has to be extended so it clears the bricks.

With my last conversation last week with our SS he told me he has done every possible that he can do and if we are not happy or want something’s fix or along those line, we will have to go above his head. My partner and I are not happy with the external part of the house and are prepared for the haul in getting all external defects fixed. Which would put a sour end to our build as we love the house and seeing it from drafting stage to a completed product.

With our next PCI which is meant to be handover, I’ll have my Independent Inspectors report with me and if one point on the list isn't fixed to a satisfactory level , there will be no handover.
mickeyb
I feel like I now just writing about all the faults I’m finding on the house. It’s now 8mths since site start and we are at the stage were all errors must be ironed out before handover.

Maybe as we are in no rush for the house, it doesn’t mean the builder can just prolong our build and have it ready when they feel like.

There have been quite a few big double storey houses built near where we are building and they all started earlier this year and the owner are now all in and they’re doing all their extra personal touches to the house. This is upsetting and very frustrating knowing that our house has been sitting there nearly complete for around 2mths.

To make things worse we saw that there are more defects on the house from last Sundays visit as it had just rained. From my last post this time it’s the other side of the same wall affected with water running down the bricks from the flushing and also the Portico pillar has water running down it from the water outlet which allows water to run off the portico roof. Maybe the outlet pipe has to be extended so it clears the bricks.

With my last conversation last week with our SS he told me he has done every possible that he can do and if we are not happy or want something’s fix or along those line, we will have to go above his head. My partner and I are not happy with the external part of the house and are prepared for the haul in getting all external defects fixed. Which would put a sour end to our build as we love the house and seeing it from drafting stage to a completed product.

With our next PCI which is meant to be handover, I’ll have my Independent Inspectors report with me and if only one the point on the list isn't fixed, there will be no handover.

Hi mickeyb, i feel for you as i felt the same as you a couple of months ago when i did my first PCI.
Make it clear to your SS that if any issues listed on your inspector's report are not resolved at the 2nd PCI, there will be no final payment and no handover. It is not fair that you have spent so much money on this house and they're not ready to fix these 'so obvious' issues.
Re. other neighbours having moved in, you're not alone there. There were quite a few houses in our street as well that were double storey and they all moved in before us, i know how frustrating it is as we were the first one to start building in our street and we're probably one of the last ones to finish. The only thing you can do is escalate the issues to your SS's manager and stay on their backs until they fix all of them.
You've waited that long, don't let them pressure you into settling for something less than what you expect. Good luck
I was at the house last week showing my parents at what stage our house was at and also to see if any more progress was done on the house.

To our luck my SS was on site double checking the house to see that everything was ready for handover.

We chatted for awhile and I made it clear to him, not to waste my time and his and try to have a settlement/handover date with the bricks looking the way there are. He understood where I was coming from and told that he will get his manager to call us to organise a meeting and see how they can resolve this brick issue before settlement.

I rang my partner to let her know what was happening and that there will be no handover until the brick issue is resolved and that our SS manager will be calling her. Two hours later my partner calls to say that the builder had just sent her the Invoice for final payment and we have 7 days to pay the account.

The nerve of some people, I’m so ** off about this as it shows to me that my SS wasn’t listening or didn’t want to understand what I was saying. To me this showed little disregard to my concerns, after telling me he could agree with where we are coming from and the stance we are taking and he'll organise his boss to call.
Big M expect us to just handover final payment because on their system the house is complete, this shows they have a lack of communication amongst themselves as I informed my SS last week that we are not happy with the bricks and not to ask for handover or issue final invoice until defects are fixed.

Since this conversation with our SS, Big M has now sent a us two invoices one last week that afternoon after I had spoken to my SS and another this week asking for final payment and saying we have no right to be holding payment as house is complete, this is without us having a second inspection to see if all defects have been rectified.

Finally we are having our second inspection 36 days after the first PCI.

We’ve had to get our independent inspector in to do a follow-up inspection as we feel the builder hasn’t completed all points from our inspectors’ first inspection report, with the most noticeable defects are the bricks and also to check if all the defects we marked with red dots have been fixed.

I have no problem with giving the builder there money, but it looks like they have a problem with fixing our house. We want our house, but only when all defects are fixed, surely this isn't too much to ask for.
mickeyb
Big M expect us to just handover final payment because on their system the house is complete, this shows they have a lack of communication amongst themselves as I informed my SS last week that we are not happy with the bricks and not to ask for handover or issue final invoice until defects are fixed.

Since this conversation with our SS, Big M has now sent a us two invoices one last week that afternoon after I had spoken to my SS and another this week asking for final payment and saying we have no right to be holding payment as house is complete, this is without us having a second inspection to see if all defects have been rectified.

Finally we are having our second inspection 36 days after the first PCI.

We’ve had to get our independent inspector in to do a follow-up inspection as we feel the builder hasn’t completed all points from our inspectors’ first inspection report, with the most noticeable defects are the bricks and also to check if all the defects we marked with red dots have been fixed.

I have no problem with giving the builder there money, but it looks like they have a problem with fixing our house. We want our house, but only when all defects are fixed, surely this isn't too much to ask for.

Good on you for standing your ground
Big M have until Tuesday to have the house completed and free of defects as the builder told me by Tuesday the house will be completed and expect handover.

There will be no handover until I say so.

I will go on Tuesday afternoon to inspect the house and if it's not completed or at a satisfactory level I'll be seeking legal advise.

Enough is enough
mickeyb
Big M have until Tuesday to have the house completed and free of defects as the builder told me by Tuesday the house will be completed and expect handover.

There will be no handover until I say so.

I will go on Tuesday afternoon to inspect the house and if it's not completed or at a satisfactory level I'll be seeking legal advise.

Enough is enough

Sorry to hear about this, how disappointing.

Make a call to VCAT before tuesday so you know your nest steps, if needs be.

Good luck.
You could also send an email direct to the managing director and the owner and tell them your concerns and that you are taking legal action.

I did this, but it was after handover (I settled on the priviso that the defects would be fixed as I couldn't hold out for my house after the 11 months it took to build it). All I wanted was my defects fixed. It got them moving

If you want the email addresses ive got them.
Wow MickeyB, I feel for you but also congratulate you on standing up for what you feel is right!!!
I understand where you are coming from. I was the first to start on my side of the street and everyone has now moved in. Most didn't have their slabs down until January and they have beaten me!
I had my 1st PCI on Monday 28th and there where so many dots around my house it was hard to see the paint! Then 6 days later they are sending me the final invoice with the 7 day clause stamped all over it!!
I emailed it to my broker and I told her that under no circumstance are they to pay the builder until I say so!!!
I can't hold off like you, but I want to make it clear I'm not going to be pushed.
I will allow my builder to fix my nougat problem after I move in, but I will be drawing up my own contract and they will be signing that document promising me that it will get fixed within 3 monts of me moving in!
I need to move in within the next 2-3 week no if buts or maybes....I wish I could hold off

Good luck! I'll have my fingers crossed for you on Tuesday!
angel
You could also send an email direct to the managing director and the owner and tell them your concerns and that you are taking legal action.

I did this, but it was after handover (I settled on the priviso that the defects would be fixed as I couldn't hold out for my house after the 11 months it took to build it). All I wanted was my defects fixed. It got them moving

If you want the email addresses ive got them.

Hi angel

Would love there email addresses, could you pm there email address

Thanks
We finally have a handover date 2/8/2010

Wow what a journey building with Big M, 9mths later and we have our new built house.
WoW... exciting news mate ...
Good luck
Related
29/07/2023
House possibly built on spring (1960's home)

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

We purchased a 1960s property that is on timber stumps mostly, and a newer section is on concrete stumps. We had a building inspection initially and they reported some…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum