Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How often do u talk to your SS (site supervisor) & for what?

Page 1 of 2
hi guys .. now that we're in build, we've been given the number to our site supervisor .. i'll definitely call and meet him next time he's on site ... but apart from that, how often do you guys keep in touch with your SS? .. is it normal to get updates through him or would you rather leave him alone ..

what about some stuff that you want the tradies to do on cash .. do you coordinate with the SS .. or just talk to the on-site tradies directly? ..

experience sharing would be great!
Well I just spoke to my supervisor.. he was gonna call me today anyway to tell me the brickies had started.. but I work for who i'm building with, so I can see my progress on a database every Tuesday.
But generally, I would like regular updates from him so you know how things are going, less chance of there being a hiccup and you not finding out til like a month later
We would vary between our CSO and our SS, some weeks it would be once a week for either of those, other weeks we wouldnt need to speak to them as not much was happening that we couldn't see.

our builder said we would get a call once a week from either of the two, but i can tell you that didn't happen, so we just rang when we wanted to know things! We would want to know things like when we had a brickie delay, little things through out about when things were getting done, at the end when could we expect the PCI and handover etc.
Call your CS for updates or issues. The CS will often call you on a regular basis.

The key to a good build is communication - youve got to have the communication between your CS so you know whats going on, the timeframes, appointments etc..

In most cases, during the building stages and with issues regarding the construction, its best to call your CS. The CLE only knows as much as you do about the build - theyre stuck in the office. Issues regarding contracts, admins, colours etc should be dealt with the CLE.

In regards to getting tradies to do some work after handover.. speaking to the CS would be better in my opinion. Theyll give you all the contact details.
We are building with a private builder but DH probably talks to our SS every second day. We also go to the house every day and chat to each of the tradies onsite. We are lucky that we are also able to approach the tradies directly for any extra things that we need / want done.

We only ever escalate problems to the head office if something is really off course from the contract or when it comes time to make a prog payt.

We are even able to liase directly with the certifying company - in fact they are meeting us onsite on Friday to clarify some points to do with the demolition.
Our SS doesnt call, but I think I prefer it that way. If I ever have a question about something or want an update I will call him, and he ALWAYS answers or calls back that day... IMO calling out of the blue and asking questions gives a much better handle on if they actually are across your site as they cannot prepare prior to a call.

We live close to the site so I can drive past most days and see what they are doing.

I meet onsite at the conclusion of each stage and spend the time to discuss the steps involved in the next stage so we know what to expect and the order.
I spoke to ours for the first time today, to organize a site meeting. I get updates via email from our CSO. She also called me once when there were a couple of questions about something.
My SS said he would be in touch every week or 10 days to give an update.
He hasnt called as yet..although its only been 2 weeks since the start.
I have called him a few times for an update.

Also wanted to know.
I am planning to get a water tank installed & hence want to get the required plumbing done.
I have been told by the SS to speak to the plumber.
How easy is it to deal with the plumber...would they do it without any fuss??
We were told we would get a call once a week but it is more like every 2 weeks. And we don't have her number bummer would love that but then I would bug her too much I think
We just met our SS on site today.. good guys .. told us all the stuff that will be happening in the next 2-3 weeks .. and also told us there is a delay in getting our windows, but he will get some internal stuff done before the bricking can start ..

There was no mention of him calling us for updates, but he said feel free to call him whenever we like and he will keep us updated .. also he said if we see anything out of the ordinary, we should let him know and he'll fix it for us ..

I already told him i need a couple of favors
.. and he said sure thing
My SS calls me most weeks to give me an update. I dont call him unless there is an urgent problem. I tend to email him, so it's in writing.
Quote:
what about some stuff that you want the tradies to do on cash

It is in my contract that if I direct a tradie to do work, my builder can actually charge me a varaition fee for this work so I would be very careful. My SS mentioned I should get the tiler to tile to the ceiling in the bathroom, but I really don't know whether he would pass this on to head office to send me a $200 variation fee if I organised this myself.
did someone say SS?? what SS ? who SS?

We dont know who our SS is , although we are at plate-high.

The builder we r building with has a policy of not giving SS number or any contact details.

The only time We MAY (have to get appointment) see him is prior to lock-up....

So .....
Quote:
did someone say SS?? what SS ? who SS?

lol! why is that? ask them you want to talk to him, so that you can stop bugging them and bug him instead

Quote:
It is in my contract that if I direct a tradie to do work, my builder can actually charge me a varaition fee for this work so I would be very careful

Thanks! but he already said that's fine, I also asked him to level the backyard when he brings his bobcat for clean up, he said that'll be fine too .. I'll probably pay $$ directly to those guys since they'll be there with their equipment ... its usual practice really!
We met our SS on site on the day of site scrape... that was 2 weeks ago today... Said he would call every Wednesday to touch base.. and thus far he has. Hes made it very clear we should call him if we have any questions or concerns... even if we think they are stupid questions

Other than that.. we still get follow up calls from our sales guy every week as well just to check we are ok - PJB seem to be very on the ball with communication! One of my favourite points about them.

Other half met with sparky today.. organised to do data cabling, extra power points etc etc. Was provided his details by our SS - was no dramas. SS also put us in touch with an air con guy to get our split systems installed. Seemed all pretty standard for him lol

We dont have a CS - dont seem to need one with the smaller builders I guess.
We get a call from our SS once a week on the same day. We save all questions until then and if they can't wait we contact our CS. They are both great.
Once a week or fortnight or so...
I've been building for about 4.5 months, and I've never received a phone call from my SS.

However, I've rang him twice to query some bad brickwork and misplaced powerpoints. He abruptly told me (in very colourful language) that I was not a builder and perhaps I should leave it to the experts to work out what's right and what's not right. Then he told me never to ring him on a Saturday again because it's his day off.

So I'm never ringing him again
pharley
I've been building for about 4.5 months, and I've never received a phone call from my SS.

However, I've rang him twice to query some bad brickwork and misplaced powerpoints. He abruptly told me (in very colourful language) that I was not a builder and perhaps I should leave it to the experts to work out what's right and what's not right. Then he told me never to ring him on a Saturday again because it's his day off.

So I'm never ringing him again

Maybe he should remember who is paying for the house that is allowing him to work so he actually gets a day OFF.
Bad form from the SS for being so rude and swearing...but seriously...do weekends not exist anymore? As a business owner I know how stressful it can be for customers to expect you to be working 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Ari
Bad form from the SS for being so rude and swearing...but seriously...do weekends not exist anymore? As a business owner I know how stressful it can be for customers to expect you to be working 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Yeah, that's a good point. I rang him on a Saturday because I'd left a few messages on his Voicemail during the week and didn't hear back. If I need to call him again, I'll try to do it only on weekdays so I don't upset him further. It's just so frustrating when they don't return calls
Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

2/01/2024
In this forum we often rightly criticise builders....

Building A New House

In Victoria you cannot put a caveat on arising from a domestic building contract.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum