Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

If I could, I would build with....

Page 1 of 2
I'm going around and around in circles trying to find the best home and best builders for us. We are in SE Melbourne, have a block of land already, and trying to find a 4bd + study to build for under $180.

We had pretty much decided on S1monds for their price, massive inclusion deal and open floorplan, but I constantly read of poor communication and business overall and am getting quite concerned...I do know our CSO and he's been really good so far, but this whole building thing is stressful enough, I would hate to sign final contracts and then regret it!!

If you could choose any builder to build with, who would they be and why? I've added a poll of the main builders in my area, please vote!

Cheers
Caz
Oooh, 100% at the moment to go through a small builder!! haha

Ok, 'if I could I would build with....' GROLLO! What bigger name in the building industry? But my finances wouldn't allow it...

If it had to be out of the majors, we would've picked Porter Davis, I'd previously gotten to contract stage with S1monds and walked away which happens quite a lot if you take what is read on this forum as any indication.
If I could build with anyone I would build with whoever had the right house for me

I'm currently building with PD and I haven't had any real issues, my brother is building with Simonds and having a lot of issues with his SS and the staff there - his plaster sat in his family/meals area for over 3 weeks before it was installed
and my Dad is building with Premier Homes and their sales guy in the Northern suburbs is hopeless!! If their houses didn't sell themselves due to being more federation style, then I'm sure he would be out of a job. They should start in a few weeks so will know more about the build then.

BTW my 3BR+ study is costing me about $185k including site costs
I would go a small local builder for sure.... which we are now

We originally were looking at the larger builders and we could not find one we were 100% on. We always had the problems like:
1. The plan was not suitable
2. The price was unbelievable
3. The company itself seemed like they were trying to rip us off
4. Poor customer service etc

So it was always one thing after another.... so now we a building through a smaller builder. So far all has been good ,they are a little more expensive but its worth it as you get a better job done, the exact home you want and best for your block.
"If I could...." meaning if I had millions of dollars to spend on building a house, I would go with Ravida and end up with a gorgeous French style home like this:

BUT...in the real world, I didn't have millions of dollars to spend. We chose Henley because they had the floorplan that suited our needs and with good inclusions and at the right price. I consider myself very lucky to have built a beautiful home and can't wait to move in. I have been more than happy with my SS and CSA, and they have always remained professional and catering to any questions and concerns I may have had. If I could have the same SS and CSA again I wouldn't hesitate to build with them again...but I won't be building again in a hurry!
We too went with a builder who had a design that suited us well.... but we were tossing up between PD and Henley and found that the Henley consultant was alot more flexible and helpful that the PD consultant... We wouldn't change anything as our build has been fantastic and our SS and admin have been fantastic... Would we build through Henley again.... YES!!! (but not for a long time I have the house I want)
I would go with a smaller, independent builder ... which is what we are doing (and have done once before). Why? We wanted to design the house to suit us and our block, so we are getting exactly what we want and need. We like the fact that we are dealing with the owner of the company directly, he knows our area (and the planning department) personally, and we get to choose everything (hopefully that turns out well).

We couldn't really use one of the bigger builders anyway with the specific building envelope we have, but have been burnt in the past by one of the bigger builders so were very cautious.

Fingers crossed!
We are currently building with henley as we felt they offered more than most other builders for the price we were willing to pay. We should have the keys within the next few weeks well ahead of their contract completion date. I couldnt be happier. We have had a great SS and Administrator who have been so helpful throughout the whole experience.
Stormy
"If I could...." meaning if I had millions of dollars to spend on building a house, I would go with Ravida and end up with a gorgeous French style home like this:

BUT...in the real world, I didn't have millions of dollars to spend. We chose Henley because they had the floorplan that suited our needs and with good inclusions and at the right price. I consider myself very lucky to have built a beautiful home and can't wait to move in. I have been more than happy with my SS and CSA, and they have always remained professional and catering to any questions and concerns I may have had. If I could have the same SS and CSA again I wouldn't hesitate to build with them again...but I won't be building again in a hurry!

hmmm does the car come with the house too?

seems like a lot of people are happy with henley, might have to go check out their site again....must admit i went to 'play' in their display home village in lyndhurst the other day and saw some gorgeous kitchens....*runs back to consult henley books*
Well, we're going with a small company, based mostly on cost, and because I'm happy with the Sales person so far. But we're not building our dream home, we're building our first "get in the game" house.

Ideally, I like to build one of Burbank's homes, because I think they're displays are beautiful, and they seem to have a great idea around "green" issues. But I haven't really looked into it much!
We went with a small custom builder because they could design what we wanted to fit our block and happened to fit in our budget.

If money was no option I'd go with someone like Comdain or Englehart homes ... their homes always look magnificent when I drive past them and I've heard good things about their quality.
We went with a builder called 'NAVA Homes' . They are a small family owned business but have a good reputation in the building industry. Very flexible and have good trades people with a lot of experience. Their site supervisoris very responsive and fingers crossed, things will go on as they are at the moment.
I feel that the majority of people go with the majors due to the slightly lower costs they have and offcourse the advertising - why would you go with a builder if you had no idea they existed ?
Anyway, smaller builders DO offer you a lot of flexibility and a more personalised service.
So, you have to decide: If you want a fixed design with little or no chance of modification, then by all means go with the majors - you might even get lucky and find your perfect design with them
Otherwise go for a small volume builder.
Best of luck
xanthrope
We went with a builder called 'NAVA Homes' . They are a small family owned business but have a good reputation in the building industry. Very flexible and have good trades people with a lot of experience. Their site supervisoris very responsive and fingers crossed, things will go on as they are at the moment.
I feel that the majority of people go with the majors due to the slightly lower costs they have and offcourse the advertising - why would you go with a builder if you had no idea they existed ?
Anyway, smaller builders DO offer you a lot of flexibility and a more personalised service.
So, you have to decide: If you want a fixed design with little or no chance of modification, then by all means go with the majors - you might even get lucky and find your perfect design with them
Otherwise go for a small volume builder.
Best of luck

Just had a look at Nava homes, really like their designs, they're quite different aren't they? Any idea on prices? Which one did you go with?
Hi Caz

We went for a smaller builder - B&H Homes in Albury. We chose them for their quality, outstanding reputation and brilliant customer service. We chose our block (sloping) and they came on site, listened to what we wanted and we went from there.....

My belief is that you get what you pay for. This why I don't understand "upgrades" etc. What most people upgrade to are standard inclusions with our builder. If we want to change anything at any time we are not charged a "fee" to do so, we will never be locked out and we never wait for an answer to anything.

I have said before on this forum, I could go on for hours about B&H - maybe I should work for them......

JL
We chose Carlisle Homes - because of their customer service, quality and good floorplans. They were great to work with and did a fantastic job.

Ideally, if we had the money, I would build one of M's or PD's monster double storey homes, or with Grollo or Englehart...
I have Chosen Fairhaven Homes.. They are amazing.. I suggest you check them out... I'm building at either Botanic Ridge or Cascades on Clyde, Just finalizing Land.. They have real quality homes and They would compete to have your business, small company.. excellent.
http://www.fairhavenhomes.com.au/pages/home.htm

Check them out...
I would go with a small builder next time. I just built with Burbank and am not happy with the finishes but don't see that any of the other volume builders have a better finish either. I only chose them because they had a design that suited me and they were the devil I knew (relatives had built with them a few years ago) versus the devil I didn't know.

Another relative built with a smaller builder and it was a great experience with a key being given to her to access the house after hours to keep a check on things and decisions regarding finishes/colours could be made along the way. They were very flexible and I regret not getting a price off them (I was told they were expensive) but it is a major expense and I think would of well been worth any extra cost in the long run.
Wow I am surprised at how many people recommend going with a small builder, I guess the big companies may give the better deals but lack in the personal touch....fingers crossed our experience doesn't turn out that way!
I voted for small builder cos we have built 2 homes and both times with a smaller builder and are happy with it.

We went with a small builder called Roseleigh - because our block was odd shaped and none of the standard plans would fit. We took one of Roseleighs plans and modified to suit the land, our budget and our requirements.

First time too we went with a builder called Bellemore Homes - He was affordable 12 years ago then but now seems to be ina completely different league.
I chose other - and let me explain.

If i COULD I would build with -

1. A builder who doesn't hide costs
2. A builder who has excellent inspections as a part of their process
3. A builder who is fantastic at client communication
4. A builder who cares about their customers as much as they care about getting their progress payments
5. A builder who can KEEP their promises, on delivery times and quality.
6. A builder who has tradies that respect your premises while they are onsite.
7. A builder who is prepared to admit their mistakes and doesn't continually make excuses for poor performance.
8. A builder who charges 'real world prices' for things like downlights
9. A builder who continues their customer care AFTER they've recieved the final cheque - afterall, a lot of people end up with more than one house!
10. A builder who builds my home as if THEY were going to live in it.

Obviously, this builder doesn't exist.

We're currently building with Henley, and the process has been terrible. We do not get updates, we get phone calls about why we need to pay more for things that we did not agree to, the site inspections are horrendous (they miss a LOT of things), they have overcharged us for things that I fortunately picked up. I am very much hoping that the end result is a beautiful home, but I would NOT recommend Henley from a customer care or value perspective.
Related
9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum