Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How much has your retaining wall/s cost?

Page 1 of 1
We're trying to figure out how much to budget for a retaining wall approx. 28m long and 900mm high.
And starting to worry that we haven't budgeted enough

What has your retaining wall cost per metre and how high?
What material did you use? We're looking at Outback Sleepers.
Did you do it yourself? If so, how much did you save by DIY?

Although we had always envisaged having the sandstone colour retaining walls, it will be a hidden side of the house so not really an issue what it looks like.
2m from the house to retain a slope that goes left to right across our block.
The builder has said it probably won't be more than a metre high at it's highest point.
Blocks are just too expensive and we don't want to use timber.
We placed walls in last week ( 30m 1 side 25 along the back and 22 down the other ranging in size ) dont have the final bill as yet but its going to be between 4-6K Used stone bolders
One thing to consider with retaining wall cost at the backyard is access.
If your house already completed and only have about 1m left in both side of the house left for access, whoevers going to build your retaining wall will have to dig the footing manually as it's not wide enough for bigger machines, and that would be a lot more expensive.

Log would certainly be cheapest, if you have the skills, DIY is also possible, I have seen some owners who get the landscaper/builder to dig the footing and finish the first layer of bricks/stones with all the drain pipes and other stuffs done. Then they finish the rest slowly every weekend.

If budget is a main issue, why don't you wait for a bit longer? Most councils allow you up to 5 years (or more?) to finish everything, then issue you the Occupation Certificate (which allows you to sell the house). As long as you are not in a rush to sell the property of course...

Hope this helps!
We got a quote for concrete sleepers similar size 26m long 800 to 1m high - good access - colorbond fence on top post and rail - $17000-$19000 because on boundary piers need to be 600 extra deep so 1.4- 1.6m piers. Needless to say we did not go for this......
We have decided to batten some of what was going to be filled and are having 10m 800 high with 1.4m deep piers concrete sleepers colorbond fence on top - different company in SA - $4000 yay......
Ours were in excess of $50,000. Ours were extreme though, the highest point was 3.5m. There are photos on our thread.

JL
First house

concrete sleepers - 34m x 2m high = about $20000
concrete sleepers - 6m x 1.6m high = about $1800
moss rocks at front (50 tonne + steps) = about $4000

Second house

I only needed a tiny wall 4m x 400mm high. I did it myself for about $300

This house i'm guessing about $15000 in retaining split between sleepers / moss rocks.
I forgot to mention our house hasn't been built yet!

The retaining wall has to be put up after the slab has been poured, according to the builder.
Access will be no problem as we are the first to build in that part of the estate.

Great idea to get someone in to do the base work then gradually finishing it off over the weekends.
Especially if time is an issue as we've heard the holes are the hardest part.

We do have access to all the necessary equipment so it's just a matter of hubby finding the time...
And willing helpers!

Thanks for sharing - I'm thinking it won't be as expensive as we imagined.
Any more ideas would be appreciated.
Related
7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum