Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

More smaller rooms VS fewer supersized rooms...??

Page 1 of 2
Hey all...

So...other than for a re-sale perspective of having more seperate rooms in your house, what are the pros and cons have more smaller rooms vs less bigger rooms...???

Our plan basically has everything supersized lol... Bed 2 is 5.2 x 5.2.... and bed 3 is like 7.1 x 3.4 ....!!!

So...who is for the big feel per room.....???? i personally dont see the need for more rooms if they are 2 small to do anything truly usuefull....i guess this house suits our needs, whereas people may have more children etc.....

For the record, we have and only plan to have 1 child....she gets the 7 x 3m room....can have a bedroom and little tv area in the 1 room..... bed2 will be like a music studio....

any thoughts...??? lol

OUR PLAN -
can't open those plans, but from what you say- for you it seems less, bigger rooms is the way to go.
If you like to have bed and tv in together then you would need a larger space... or you could have your daughter sleep in one room and play/tv in another... smaller rooms. If i had rooms that size my kids (4) would be sharing I think. Not a fan of huge personal spaces, much prefer communal spaces. But that is just me, and I'm fully aware that many people don't feel this way. It sounds like your plan will work perfectly for you.
So, sorry about the babble.... put me down for not a fan of the supersized rooms, I like cosy
buzz
We are definately at the stage of 'more smaller rooms' in our life. I think it's really a personal choice, and what your budget can stretch too.

In our house, we wanted a room each for the kids (2 with one on the way) a guest room, a media room, a multipurpose area for the kids toys, 2 bathrooms, alfresco and a sewing/office for me. We got all of this in approx 270m2.. so are doing well!

I would love to have bigger rooms, and more open space, but we just couldn't do it with our current income/lifestyle. We will deifnately be buying/building another house when the kids are teenagers, so I'm certain what we want will have changed by then.

Sounds like you've thought about it and are building what works for you, now.

Krisit
I'm all for supersized rooms and less small rooms. I am not having a theater/media room - don't see the point in having an entire room dedicated to TV/movies. Instead having a larger living area and a rumpus room for the kids. (+ a study). Also having a fairly large pavilion / outdoor entertaining area (all under roofline)

Bedrooms are biggish but not huge - master 4.7 x 5.1. Other bedrooms are 4.1 x 3.2 (2 bedrooms) and the other is 3.6 x 3.7 (not including WIR's). I think having WIR's in bedrooms also helps with space.

Agree with everyone else, it is purely personal taste!

JL
we went for the smaller bedrooms option, our bedroom is tiny but has a large wir and ensuite, the other 2x bedrooms are smaller again with the smallest at 3.1x3.5 with bir.

nursery/study/guest room is 3x4 witha small robe, we dicided on larger living spaces and room for lots of indulgences as we entertain alot! a bedroom is mainly used for sleeping

love it how much you changed the design swiched things around and made a large outdoor area, however the bedrooms may keep the kids there long after they are 30!
Another advocate for more smaller rooms here.
Master BR is small, other bedrooms are OK but definitely not big. Study and lounge is smallish. Family/dining area is big (relative to other rooms).
Lounge, study and family located away from each other so that family members can have some private/quiet space.
Chris
I am a fan of bigger open rooms which my husband I found quite challenging when we went looking at displays as they seems to favour big houses with lots of pokey rooms.
Thankfully we found a house which is ideal, we are having a large open rumpus room, an open lounge and study combined and our master bedroom is nice and roomy too!
Definately bigger rooms over more smaller rooms. I like how a room that is spacious can be multi functional and not just used for one activity. For example, our theatre is also used as a lounge room and games room for the boys...another retreat if needed.
The one thing that turns me off a property the most are small pokey rooms. But thats me
does not mean others wouldnt love it.

Mrs B
I prefer to match the # of rooms with my requirements but also bear in mind future saleability.

For us we went for a plan that didn't have a 'formal dinning room' downstairs. We've had one before and never used it, prefering to stick with the meals area. So we got bigger kitchen/meals/family/formal lounge at the expense of a formal dinning room

We also don't need 5 beds + study or even 4 beds + study.
So we went for 3 beds + guest room. That gave us a bigger master suite & a bigger games room upstairs. Our games room is about 7 x 3.5 so well suited to be split into 2 areas (study at one end and games/tv section at the other). We put the guest room downstairs so that can become a study if the split approach doesn't work in the future.

So I like less rooms and more open space
Those secondary bedrooms are enormous (twice the size of the master bedroom !).
The only issues I could see is that the bedrooms could feel a big empty space, or end up a gigantic mess with the kids

That being said, if you like the big rooms, go for it. The only advice I would give is to ensure that both rooms could be split up at a later date if you were to sell the home (many buyers would be after more than 3 bedrooms in a house that size). By the looks of your plan however, that would be easy to arrange.
Bumping for the new wave of home 1ers....
IMO Bigger Rooms!!! We love OPEN spaces - but we're coming from a 12sq unit - where we feel cramped.

My husband and I are yet to have children but this will be our "family home" so we wanted to do it right from the start - we really hope we took into consideration the "children" in our plan... (and please give feedback if you have kids as you would know what they need!) - we want to be in this house for like 20 years - so these are the reasons for choosing this plan...

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz256/ecidnac84/HousePlan.jpg

- Home Theatre (is a must for my movie buff DH) is away from the kids bedrooms - so we won't keep them up at night with the noise
- They have their own play room (Rumpus) for when they are kids and I will be able to supervise them from the kitchen/family while preparing dinner - as they get older they can have their sleepover parties in there which will be away from "Mum and Dads room" and then when they're teens we can put a pool table/pinball machine those types of things in there
- we have a powder room 'guest toilet' - so there will be no nasty surprises for our guests when they need to use the toilet!
- not one bedroom is on the laundry wall so the kids won't get woken up to the washing machine early on a Saturday morning (yes both my husband and I were the unlucky ones when we lived at home - we got the bedroom adjoining the laundry!)
- The alfresco is visible from heaps of areas in the house so we can see the kids when they're playing outside!
- The size and space - we think is fantastic...
- Whilst our house takes up quite a bit of the land (57.8% of it to be precise!), we did have this in mind when purchasing a block - we don't have a lot of time for gardening etc but where we bought is next to a reserve and behind us is a football oval and park - so our kids can have big open spaces to play in without us having to maintain it!

Looking forward to seeing other plans!!!
sleven
IMO Bigger Rooms!!! We love OPEN spaces - but we're coming from a 12sq unit - where we feel cramped.

My husband and I are yet to have children but this will be our "family home" so we wanted to do it right from the start - we really hope we took into consideration the "children" in our plan... (and please give feedback if you have kids as you would know what they need!) - we want to be in this house for like 20 years - so these are the reasons for choosing this plan...

sleven - I think your plan is perfect for a family with babies, young children and teenagers. Certainly would be great for my family right now (with one more bedroom).
You've covered everything, well done!
Last week we went to an open house in our estate - just wanted to see the "competition"... 3 tiny bedrooms looked more like caves and produced quite a claustrophobic feel to both of us. However, all this is quite personal - some people buy, some won't... I reckon that smaller rooms will require less heating during the winter...
mb@147a
sleven

sleven - I think your plan is perfect for a family with babies, young children and teenagers. Certainly would be great for my family right now (with one more bedroom).
You've covered everything, well done!

Great
Thanks heaps for your feedback! Much appreciated
How big is it Sleven? 36sqs? It has 4 living areas so that's quite a lot of rooms for 36sqs...

It is a lovely plan though
this really depends on your family situation - for us with one child - 3 rooms would be fine but we opted for 4 on the basis that it is consistent with other houses in the area
Thats interesting Lunchtime - we have one child (at home) and opted for 3 bedrooms and larger liveing areas rather than get 4 bedrooms in the same total space.

In our area, there are many 3B houses as well as 4B ones though so this is consistent with the area.
Ari
How big is it Sleven? 36sqs? It has 4 living areas so that's quite a lot of rooms for 36sqs...

It is a lovely plan though

Hi Ari - thanks - yeah the 36 squares includes the garage and the alfresco. Not sure what that leaves in terms of actual living space?
If someone knows the formula to work out squares... the Garage is 5520mm x 6000mm and the Alfresco is 3300mm x 6910 mm = so subtracting those you'd get the actual living space but I have no idea
There is only my partner and I so when we were designing our home it was a mix between what we think we would need and what is functional (for us and future owners).

I dont like wasting spaces, so therefore I didnt want rooms too big but I dont like pokey rooms with no room to move. We have a fair master with large WIR and big ensuite. We have one other quite large room we are going to use as a guest room with a bed, small sofa and tv set up. Future owners could use it as a children's rumpus, or additional upstairs lounge room. It also has a quite large robe/cupboard for storage of toys or anything else. Two other bedrooms upstairs, one big enough for two king singles and the other big enough for a double or queen bed and bedside tables.

Downstairs is the study and its big enough for a big desk, filing cabinets etc, but would also be fine to use as a downstairs bedroom for families that may have people who cant climb the stairs.

The main focus of our house is the living and dining opening up onto the alfresco because we like to entertain.

You need to take resale value into consideration to some point, but you also need to remember that you need to live in the house (for however long you plan to), so it first and foremost has to be suitable for that!
Related
24/09/2023
Affordable Living Homes want more $$

Building A New House

I would be wary. Is you site demilished but nothing else done? Sounds like liquidity problems to me. Our builder did the same. Got hundreds of thousands of dollars of…

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum