Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

My custom build [Planning] Dreams start somewhere!

Page 1 of 1
Whilst waiting on my finance to be organised (meeting with broker on Monday who I'm confidant will find something for me, I'm over CBA service) - I thought it wise to plan my house out and get rolling on things.

Yesterday I spoke to the custom builder I'll be using to discuss the basics (I've known him for a while and he is very honest ). He gave me a few pointers where to save money and what to avoid. He said to prepare a plan and he'll quote it for me, so thats just what I've done!

Compared to most houses I've on this site, this house is small. I've tried to use smart placement to maximum floor space/cull dead area, whilst still getting in 3 bedrooms, a spare room and still break it up with hallways to create artificial spaciousness.

Direct Link - http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/89/homeoom.jpg

Roof will be Colorbond and most likely half-trussed (single slope) and maybe curved.
Walls are clad with Colorbond.
I think the best theme/style to go with will be contemporary/modern/minimalism to keep the space very open and uncluttered. Lots of bold colours!

Main Bedroom - 4000 x 4000mm / 600mm Robe / 600 Shelving
Nothing fancy. Hopefully enough space for the GFs stuff. Might scrap shelving yet - anyone got open shelving? Cavity slider through to Bathroom.

Bathroom - 2500 x 3000mm
Will try to get as much storage in here as possible, might change layout to get more bench length so the GF doesn't leave her stuff in the Bedroom.

Bedroom 2 - 3220 x 3000mm / 600mm Robe (off side)
Will be a study/office until it's needed as a bedroom. Fits a queen bed fine.
Bedroom 3 - 4000 x 3000mm / 600mm Robe
Who comes first - a baby or my sister & BF. Small house I know, but I'd be comfortable to have my sister live here (not sure what the GF thinks). I wouldn't mind putting a door onto the deck - glass slider? Timber? Position?

Hideaway Theatre - 2030 x 3000mm
I love this idea and it can be converted to an office/study or even a baby room or childs play room if needed. Has a cavity slider each side.

Kitchen/Dining - 5790 x 4140mm approx.
GF and I really like kitchen islands. To be honest, there isn't a lot of storage - however I consider myself a decent (and off-the-wall) cook and don't require 17 sets of pots/pans. Might move sink along to allow for more prep. area. Dining only needs to cater for a small 4-seater table. Larger gatherings will use the deck, opening the double sliders for combined deck/dining.

Misc. - everything else!
As you can see I haven't placed all the windows and doors yet (not quite sure). The front entrance leaves a lot to be desired. I dont' really want to have a deck at the front (its just another cost to factor in), but I can't think how to do the front entrance otherwise.

I'd love to hear your suggestions and improvements. I'll be keeping this thread up to date with happenings (broker, finance, land, builder, and everything in between!).
What size/shape land is the house on ? What is the maximum size of a home in your budget ? You may be able to reconfigure the area to make it more workable without increasing the home size dramatically.

Good luck with it all !
Looks pretty good for what your trying to achieve.

I like the idea of the hideaway cinema.
jbdave
What size/shape land is the house on ? What is the maximum size of a home in your budget ? You may be able to reconfigure the area to make it more workable without increasing the home size dramatically.

Good luck with it all !

The land I'm looking at is 800m2 (20m x40m). There are a few blocks similar.

My builder quoted around $1000m2 , so i'm looking at 120m2 (he gave me costs on similar 3 bedrooms homes aka. 118m2 for $116,000). I've tried a variety of designs, and I think so far this has been the most economic (3 bedrooms + 1 spare room). The GF requested a decent size deck - but I'm not including that in the overall size and will just have to brunt the cost
Related
11/09/2023
Building a Duplex on Sloping Block in a flood planning area

Building A New House

Give Jonathan a call. Tell him you know me. He is in my opinion the best surveyor I have ever worked with. His number is 0425 285 622 All the best Simeon

3/02/2024
Overshadowing clarification - planning - SL housing

General Discussion

I am not based in Victoria however i had a quick look into your question to understand what you were asking. The way I read the regulations, overshadowing relates to the…

12/04/2024
Two kitchens in one house - planning rules

General Discussion

"is it exempt or do I need to get permission from council" Call your Council and ask them

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum