Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Sterling Homes in Tungkillo area

Page 1 of 1
Hi there.
I am a newbie and have found it very interesting reading everyones posts. I am interested in anybodys views on Sterling Homes? From what I can gather it seems you need to add about another 70% on top of the listed price of just about any builder... does this sound right?

Also has anyone had any experience building in the Tungkillo/Mount Torrens/Birdwood area?

Cheers
Hi Coobowie

Welcome to the forum. Tungkillo is a lovely area, have you got some acreage there? Are you still in the process of selecting a builder? Are you looking at a particular Sterling design?

Yes you do have to add quite abit more from the list price to the final price. How much depends really on 2 things, one being the specifications that you are going for (whether you want to upgrade from the standard on many things) and also your site costs. The additional site costs can make up a fair portion of the extra costs. It does depend on the builder too because some builders tend to have a very low list price that includes nothing so that everything is an upgrade whereas other builders start point is alot higher and therefore your additional costs aren't as high. We are building a custom build so there is not really a list price but compared to a similar sized house that Rossdale build, we are only paying 40% above list price which is not too bad.

I haven't seen too many people on here building with Sterling but I'm sure there are a few out there that can give you some comments. There is a good thread for people building in SA so you can always ask the question on that thread and see what feedback you get. We did look into Sterling before choosing Rossdale but were warned that their time from contract signing to build commencing were quite long at the time because they had too much work but that was over 12 months ago now so things might have changed abit.
Hi there

Thanks for the reply.

We were originally looking for an established house in the Western Adelaide Hills area but have decided on building. We are looking for property anywhere between Birdwood to Woodside and out to about Tungkillo.. want to be about 1 hour from the city, and at least 10 acres, more is better.

There always seem to be a few 100acre or so places out at the Tungkilo area.

The reason I ask about Sterling Homes is that there seems to be some houses around this area being built by Sterling.

Thanks for the headsup on the building in SA thread... I shall read all those sometime.

Cheers
Related
12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

11/05/2023
Building duplex at the hills council area

Building A New House

Even if it's not being sub-divided and you want to keep it as Torrens title, you will still need to talk to a town planner or Council themselves, to see if they will allow…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum