Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

tree removal

Page 1 of 1
maybe it's a silly question, but we dont know abt this.

would like to know if we need to get approval for removing tree?
Will builder get it removed or we should get a removal company to do it? will they take care everything if need permit?

How about fence as well? I heard it's a usual thing that the fence company will contact the neighbour to share for building fence, is it true? how do they find out the neighbour if it's a vacant land not yet being built.
You need to contact your local Council and ask them what their regulations are. You need to have a positive identification of the tree and it's approximate size. They may need to send out a Council Officer to determine whether or not the tree can be removed. Don't remove it without permission, you could be fined.
We had a large tree removed a while back and it was a significant size, below is how our council classify a significant tree:

A “significant tree” is: • any tree which has a trunk circumference of 2.0 metres or more; or • in the case of trees with multiple trunks, any tree that has trunks with a total circumference of 2.0 metres or more and an average trunk circumference of 625mm or more. In both cases, trunk circumference is measured one metre above natural ground level
Can't help you with the fence inquiry,sorry, but with regard to trees. Yes, your council will advise if you need a permit or not (and fine heavily for not getting one, or not adhering to the permit application outcome). Check their website or make a phone call. In our area for example, a permit is required for trees whose base circumference is greater than 120cm, measured at ground level. Some councils have protective orders on certain trees and areas too. The permit application cost us $30 per tree. Someone came out to check them before issuing the permit. Our permit approval had a condition attached - we have to plant 3 semi-mature replacement canopy trees over 2 meters high on our property once the house is built.

We had to get the permit organised ourselves (easy). Our demolition guy contracted a tree removal service/arborist to remove them and the stumps. That cost us $900. No harm asking your builder if they will deal with it, but get your own quotes first as they will most likely add a good markup.
We actually had 2 trees removed and it cost us $2000!
Def. call the council. For example, our whole suburb is vegetation protected so we have to apply to do anything with trees...plus a tree on our block has a single vpo on it.

We had to fill out an application form, with a sketch of the site..marking what we wanted to remove + supply photos. Application was free (BCC).
Took 6 weeks for them to assess it. The came out to the site and inspected before giving approval. We were allowed to remove everything we asked for but not allowed to even prune the tree with the VPO.

Cost us under 3k to remove 10 big pines + a couple of palms with the stumps ripped out or ground + removal. Would be WAAAYYY more expensive to do after the house was there.

Hope that helps.
With the fences it's different everywhere etc. We had to contact all the neighbours (got their addresses from the council as a lot are rentals), with fence quotes etc. Got them to sign an agreement. We pay the fencer and then we get money off the neighbour. Yet to see if that approach works...
Related
25/07/2023
Peeling plastic laminate - advice on removal?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

At a bit of a loss on this one - we're thinking the original owners never removed the protective laminate covers from their kitchen cabinets after installation and in the…

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum