Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

final Inspection-HANDOVER

Page 1 of 1
We have just been informed that our final inspection has been scheduled,but after speaking to the builder I was told that non of the appliances we have included in the building price will be installed prior to handover (owen, dishwasher, water heater), is this the norm with all builder, when do we actually make the final payment then, is it after the final inspection if things are good or after all the electrical stuff is put in and is in good working condition?
Final payment is made at handover and a time to come back and install appliances is usually made. Tradies will check to make sure they are working before leaving.
ifyareckon
Final payment is made at handover and a time to come back and install appliances is usually made. Tradies will check to make sure they are working before leaving.

+1
We have our oven, dishwasher etc already installed and final inspection is not until next week.

They do however have to come and change the door handles after the inspection.

I guess all builders are different and it really doesn't matter as long as it is done soon after final inspection.
My appliances were fitted on day of handover - handover was at 9am on a Friday though so you don't get to see them fitted before you make your final payment. Oven door (glass) was smashed while it was being fitted, coffee machine didn't work, and ducted heating wasn't commissioned for a week later - all things to take into account. Oven door was replaced the following Monday, coffee machine was repaired twice before being replaced and ducted heating only went for a week before blowing a board in the unit and had to be replaced.

Hasn't been the happy moving in experience I was expecting but better than some other peoples experiences that I have spoken to. In my opinion make sure you go over everything at final inspection and don't do hand over until everything is fixed as there are other things that you can't control that can go wrong and the least room for slip ups the better.

- FYI only the oven door was replaced by the builder, the other items I have to take responsibility for under warranty which is the last thing you want to be doing when you are trying to unpack and settle in.
Well with our place everything had to be done so it was "livable" before handover (getting the keys after bank payment).Things like hot water, oven, lighting, basically everything necessary to live in a house.
But when we had the final inspection (PCI) that's basically when the "clock stopped ticking" and in the past this is when people would arrange for final payment and there would have been a list of things yet to be completed (and signed off on) as part of that initial PCI. But from my understanding the procedure has changed recently for some reason so that final payment couldn't be made until everything on the PCI list was done and signed off, which I think is a good thing anyway.
Related
20/06/2023
What's unreasonable to check during a final inspection ?

Building A New House

i would suggest nothing is unreasonable for PCI. we did all sorts, including checking the hot water, checking all the GPO's had power, testing that the showers were…

2/04/2024
Defects/Items found after final inspection

Building A New House

The significant date is when receive final payment invoice Check that section of contract Bit of fluff by builders prior to that

21/07/2023
Final Invoice vs OC

General Discussion

Hi, I am approaching end of the build. My final invoice will be given to me soon to pay. Some context before I ask my question. 1. My builder wont do the landscaping or…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum