Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Montgomery Homes - Upslope Block

Page 1 of 1
Is anyone building with Montgomery Homes?

Hi, I am new to Homeone and finding it overwhelming to say the least with an absolute wealth of information available. My husband and I have an upslope block and are building a Montgomery Home - (Mediterranean 2) at Maryland in NSW and I was wondering whether there were others who are currently building with Montgomery Homes if they could let me know how they are travelling. Also of interest is anyone building on a sloping block as any ideas are more than useful. We are only at the deposit phase and are waiting for our plans.

I have just set up my first blog: http://forbesbuild.blogspot.com
We are the opposite to you as we have a downward slope block in Brizzie, (we are signing the contracts tomorrow fingers crossed) with have a 5m fall down our build site, We have designed the house the fall with the block using some floating floors(on piers) to reduce the amount of cut and fill and retaining need as that take a lot of the budget. We are also using a lot more light weight materials instead of the traditional bricks and mortar. I have found so far when building on a slope you have to think outside the square but the results can be worth it. Good Luck
Hello Scottnsarah!

We're building on a sloping block, but ours slopes down to the left and back. We're building a custom design, check out our blog for the plans!
Thanks Guys

Jodge I am actually following your blog because it seems that when you have a sloping block all sorts of things can happen and it keeps me sane to know others have succeeded or are well on their way. It is such a wonderful journey! This forum has given me so many ideas already and it is good we have a couple weeks up our sleeve until we sign the contracts so nothing set in concrete yet so to speak : )

Take 2 best of luck with your downslope build - are you going to set up a blog? I am not sure of our fall however it is pretty steep we were going to have a tri-level home however because of the fall (and cost of cutting in) this can't occur but I will post the drawings up when they come to hand.

I am just so interested in any sloping block home because as you said you have to really think outside the square - I have already had many sleepless nights mainly because I have to pick the kitchen colors on Saturday! Sticking with white and snow caesarstone (I think).

Thanks again for replying guys I haven't been able to find many sloping home blogs or anyone who is going through this process.

Take Care

Sarah
Hi Sarah!

Watch this blog space! We applied for the mortgage today and the plans went into council too, so hopefully we'll have something other than plans to put on the blog in the next month or so!

Oh, good choice on the white kitchen! We're going the same. . . it's nice and safe, won't be looking dated in 10 years time!
Hi Sarah
Set up a blog tonight while I had quiet time during the orign. I've put a photo of the block with a coutor elevation as well. Good luck with the colour selection looking at tiles today was doing my head in too many choices, need to get some ideas before I have my kitchen appointment.
Cheers Lou

http://take2-customdesigndownslope.blogspot.com/
Hey,

We are building on a sloping block with Montgomery Homes. We have chosen the Mediterranean 2 as well. Up to the contract signing stage. Have fnally got council approval after 7 weeks waiting for that so hopefully things should start getting going soon.

We have a 1300m2 sloping block that we bought because of the cool view of the lake and mountains and also because it has a bush reserve behind it. Didn't realise it would be difficult to get a builder because of those things. We originally had signed up with Eden Brae and had chosen a design and paid the deposit but after weeks and weeks of them saying they could do the job...we got to Sydney for the tender meeting only to be told "no we can't do it because of the slope". (thanks for telling us this before we took the day off work and drove to Sydney)

The other restriction we have is a 16 meter area along the whole back of the block that can't be built on because it is a fire protection zone because of the bush reserve being behind. (Good place for a pool I think)

Anyway...on the way back from Sydney after being told Eden Brae can't do it we stopped into Montgomery at Belmont and gave them the site survey we had. On that first meeting they suggested the best possible house design and sorted everything. The staff are way nicer then the other company and so far all is going well. We have done all the selections and everything is ready to go after we sign the contract next Tuesday.

Only other thing happening at this stage is that there are a heap of trees and bush on the block so we are waiting for Newcastle Earth Moving to clear the block. That can be done now that council approval is done. We got quoted only $1500 for the clearing which I think is great.

Anyway I think that's enuf for now
Started blog...seems to be the trend
Hi Sarah,
I am building in Qld, and my slope is massive 35 - 40 deg drop, its been a big task getting someone to build on the block, but I found a local builder, who has helped me greatly along the way.
I have started a blog

http://myhousewiththeview.blogspot.com/

this week I meet with the builder with the drafts, I Guess that is where the fun begins,

all the best with it all,

Cheeers
Hi Believe, what a beautiful spot you have found look forward to following you blog and seeing the finished project.
Cheers Lou
Hi Lou, Yes it was by luck that I got a great price (because of the slope) I am really very happy with the spot, but being on a slope it has had its headache's, trying to get someone to build and get a house, etc etc, was a task and a half. I did not think I was fussy with house requirements, I was happy to buy of a plan, but alot of companies did not want to touch it! so much for builders wanting work, eventually I found a builder who jumped at the challange.. Lucky Him!!
Its all about to begin, each day there something new to buy, something new to think of, something else to imagine, to me its all just one day closer to the finish, I am looking forward to every bit of it.
cheers
Believe
Hello, we have recently purchased a sloping block of land and are also considering Montgomery Homes. How is your experience going with them?

Regards

Cindy
Hi All,

This is also my first post! I have been watching for awhile to see if anyone else was travelling the Montgomery road which we are currently on.

We are building in the Central Coast on a Downhill slope - the Savannah 2. So far, everything has run extremely smoothly and I have nothing but good words for the company. We are currently awaiting council approval so fingers crossed this next phase also passes with minimal fuss!

To give you an indication of timeframes, we have progressed as follows:

18th May: Deposit Paid
25th May: Selections Appt
1st July: Plans Issued
10th July: Plans signed - off to Basix etc
20th July: Land settlement
24th July: Off to council

My only suggestions are to be very sure of your colours/ finishes/ and selections prior to your selections appointments. We were ill-prepared and ended up seeing a private colour consultant after the fact to feel really happy with our colour choices. This wasted a bit of time in June!

Good luck with your builds and hope to chat with you all further!

Rachel
Hi Believe,
We had the same problem with our block a lot of builders didn't want to go near a slopping block, we also went for a smaller builder who has been a lot more flexible, has built on slopping sites before and cheaper some of the bigger guys quote $100 000 more for the same build. So fingers crossed we are just waiting on ipswich council approval at the moment.
Cheers Lou

http://take2-customdesigndownslope.blogspot.com/
imackenz
Hey,

We are building on a sloping block with Montgomery Homes. We have chosen the Mediterranean 2 as well. Up to the contract signing stage. Have fnally got council approval after 7 weeks waiting for that so hopefully things should start getting going soon.

We have a 1300m2 sloping block that we bought because of the cool view of the lake and mountains and also because it has a bush reserve behind it. Didn't realise it would be difficult to get a builder because of those things. We originally had signed up with Eden Brae and had chosen a design and paid the deposit but after weeks and weeks of them saying they could do the job...we got to Sydney for the tender meeting only to be told "no we can't do it because of the slope". (thanks for telling us this before we took the day off work and drove to Sydney)

The other restriction we have is a 16 meter area along the whole back of the block that can't be built on because it is a fire protection zone because of the bush reserve being behind. (Good place for a pool I think)

Anyway...on the way back from Sydney after being told Eden Brae can't do it we stopped into Montgomery at Belmont and gave them the site survey we had. On that first meeting they suggested the best possible house design and sorted everything. The staff are way nicer then the other company and so far all is going well. We have done all the selections and everything is ready to go after we sign the contract next Tuesday.

Only other thing happening at this stage is that there are a heap of trees and bush on the block so we are waiting for Newcastle Earth Moving to clear the block. That can be done now that council approval is done. We got quoted only $1500 for the clearing which I think is great.

Anyway I think that's enuf for now

Hi, I guess you have finished your build with Montgomery. How do you find them? Are you happy with the final product? Would you build with them again?
Related
30/05/2023
Montgomery Homes KD/R on Northern Beaches

Building A New House

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has built with Montgomery in the last few years on the Northern Beaches? I don't see the see them around, as I would love to ask how happy…

24/05/2023
Removing gyprock from besser block wall

Kitchen Splashbacks

Thanks again, appreciate the advice

3/12/2023
Flood zone block - 1 in 100year

General Discussion

Yes it had a house on it. But Melbourne water only wanted something the original size of the existing house. We managed to fit a 45sq house on.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum