Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a custom property

Page 1 of 1
I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I have a property in Collingwood that is currently rented out. I want to demolish that one and build 2 townhouses on it.

The 2 townhouses will have a 5m frontage and 18 meter depth. The council should approve this because it's been done right next door. What I would like to know is what do I do first?

Should I get a draftsperson to draw up designs for the new townhouses first? Maybe someone can recommend me a good draftsperson?
You're planning to do a similar thing to what I am doing (I'm building duplex).
I suggest that you talk to your council and be absolutely sure that you are allowed to subdivide. Also understand any council restrictions - footprint size, etc. Then develop a rough plan yourself and establish a rough budget.
Then get someone to draw prelim plans.
Chris
I agree with Chris about finding out the details from council. You will probably find alot of the information you need on their website. Our council had a document that set out all the rules such as minimum frontage, set backs, footprint as % of block size etc.

We are doing a custom build and we just downloaded some CAD software and drafted up the plans we wanted. We then took those plans to a handful of builders and got them to quote on the build. Once we decided on the builder they took our plans and had their draftsperson re-create them in their software and then they provided us with the proper plans. We didn't have to pay any drafting fees but I know some builders do so make sure that you know that when comparing prices from each builder. It is worth talking to as many builders as you can because they will range in price considerably. Our builder is a medium size builder who generally do off-the-plan builds but they were quite happy to take on a custom build and the price they charged is in-line with the price for a similar size display home they have.
I dont think that council is too fussy. The owners of the block over my brothers back fence (Raphael St, Abbotsford) built a huge 2 storey place, with windows over looking his courtyard... still check with council first.
M3tric0n has some "dual occ" plans that might same you some cash if you don't want to do a custom build. They're designed for building two units on a block.
I was on the metricon website and don't see anything with a 5 meter frontage. Am I looking at the right place?

The council has no problems with building 2 double storey townhouses on that block. All I need now (but can't seem to find) is a draftperson to design the properties. Would prefer a draftperson who is familiar with the council in Collingwood though. Any ideas where i could find one?
Contact the local council, they should be able to give you some contact details for local draftsmen in the area.
Related
15/08/2023
Is this a bad situation - easement and manhole on property

General Discussion

You might be able to apply to divert the sewer at your expense. In NSW you would contact a Water services co-ordinator and they would give you advice as to whether or not…

18/01/2024
Scaffolding extending over my property

General Discussion

Ask for some kickplate to be added and also for tradies to be requested to use lanyards on tools on that side of the building. Be respectful and have the discussion…

6/02/2024
Property Boundaries in New Estates

General Discussion

The setback from the kerb is 4m. It is council land to provide an area for services like sewer main, gas mains, water mains, underground power or poles for overhead power,…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum