Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Question about frame

Page 1 of 1
Hi, Hopefully everyone can see the attached picture. This was taken when the plastering work was taking place. As you would notice the horizontal timber seemed to have been knocked out of its place - perhaps by the electrian. I tried to ask the plasterers if they were going to fix the frame before they close it with the plasterboards but they did NOT SPEAK ANY ENGLISH! We were too late to book in an independent inspector, so now that all the plasterworks are finished, is there a way to find out if they did fix it???
umm.. how do I attach picture?
Join a photo hosting website like photobucket then post the "img" link on your thread.
I assume you are talking about the noggin in the wall?

Without a photo it is difficult however:

The only non-destructive test I can think of is to use a stud finder. You can pick them up from bunnings fairly cheaply and will be able to get a good idea on where the studs/noggins are in the wall after the plaster has gone on.
Thanks kyton! Hope this works:

My biggest worry is the cables might get pulled down if that part falls one day.

Sierra, that's correct, I believe it's called noggin. I did hear about the stud-finder thing, so I'm going to Bunnings this afternoon to buy it. How does it actually work, though? Is it by using magnet to check where the nails are?
I cant tell you the science behind it, I assume it measures density changes in the wall. It detects solid objects behind the plasterboard.

Consider buying one that will detect AC for future use once the house is completed. Not much more and they come in very handy. The one I bought was a stanley and had a "mouth" the same width as a stud and makes finding the centre of the stud much easier.
I've got my stud-finder from Bunnings and tested it on my apartment wall! Yay! Thanks for the tips Sierra. I think I actually bought the same one as yours.
Good luck, hope you find your noggin was all fixed before the plaster went on!
in_for_the_experience
I've got my stud-finder from Bunnings

My wife is a stud finder.....(insert wry smilie smile here)
Brickie
in_for_the_experience
I've got my stud-finder from Bunnings

My wife is a stud finder.....(insert wry smilie smile here)

so is mine
Related
18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

20/05/2023
Frame without roof for 2 months, mould and water pooling

Building A New House

This certainly doesn't look good. I would be engaging with an independent inspector to have a look at this. As for the unscheduled site visits, most builders are quite…

19/05/2023
Clunking noises Steel frame

General Discussion

Hi, I have a steel frame house which was built 2 years ago. When you are down stairs you can hear clunking noises when someone is walking around. We were told if you…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum