Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Am I eligible for FHOG

Page 1 of 1
Hi there - all new to this, hope someone can help me out with this query.
I previouly owned a house with my ex boyfriend my name was not on land title but was on the house contract. When we built they put my name on the first home owners grant application which I was unaware of. (Yes, I signed the application, but I was young & naive & didn't realise what I was actually signing
). I recently just purchased a block of land that I wish to build a new house on with my current parnter. He has never owned his own home but he is not going to be on the finance for this house. So any help would be appreciated.
MichelleHill
Hi there - all new to this, hope someone can help me out with this query.
I previouly owned a house with my ex boyfriend my name was not on land title but was on the house contract. When we built they put my name on the first home owners grant application which I was unaware of. (Yes, I signed the application, but I was young & naive & didn't realise what I was actually signing
). I recently just purchased a block of land that I wish to build a new house on with my current parnter. He has never owned his own home but he is not going to be on the finance for this house. So any help would be appreciated.

Sorry but I don't think so. If you have already had the first homeowners grant you have already been given $$$ you wont qualify again. I know its tough
good luck with your new house though
Here are a couple of sites that list the requirements. I dont know if it would make a difference if, say for example, your partner applied for the grant and loan solely, which would make it hard to get a substantial loan to get what you want/need. Does anyone know for sure?

http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/fhog/home.html

http://trubluhomeloans.com.au/FHOGGuide.pdf
Sorry no, I dont think so,

If it were only on the land, then yes. But having it on the home contract, you will not be eligible as it shows you hgave previously owned a home
I agree with everyone else. Short answer is No sorry.
Not sure what state you're in, Michelle, but if your spouse/partner has obtained first home benefits before, you are generally ineligible - even if your name wasn't on the transaction.

It is assumed that when you live as "husband and wife" that the benefit is shared.

It stops rich men who have 9 properties in their name buying one in the little wife's name and then claiming first home benefits!
I guess all I can do is ask. I have received the FHOG before with my ex and we never married now he has kept the house and I'm got to build a new one. I can't get finance with my current parnter has he is a subcontractor and has only been at that job a few months so the bank won't even look at him so I'm trying to do it all on my own and the $21 000 grant would go a long way. I'm from Western Australia.
Just call and ask them. Then you'll find out for sure. Simple!

I have been married before. My husband had a house and FHOG in his name, I was not on any of the paperwork at all though. We are now seperated. I am still eligible for the grant as I wasn't on the title.

So even though I would say you probably aren't eligible, it's worth a quick phone call to check.
It will also depend upon how long you have been with your partner and whether you are classed as defacto.

Call 1300 363 211 (you don't have to give your name) adn explain your situation.
They will give you a simple yes or no
I have contacted the FHOB number and she said that if my name was not on the land title then I am still able to get home grant even though I was on the house contract. I will keep investigating though but I should be able to apply for it.
Sounds encouraging at least, good luck with it all
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum