Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

House with no gutters

Page 1 of 1
I notice in another thread about rooves:
https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.p ... 9ea6c00d74
that somone was told that Colourbond rooves are more expensive to install because of the guttering.

In my quest for the most ergonomic house, I wonder whether you really need to have gutters at all ?

The rain which falls on the roof area is only going to be the same as that which would have fallen on the ground in that area, so with some smart drainage arrangements on the ground, couldn't that rain be easily managed ?

The ancient Roman also didn't have gutters, but had their rooves angled inward to drop into a pool in the inside courtyard.

Has anyone any experience with gutterless houses ? Do you need gutters to get the design approved ? Are there any standard alternatives ?
In NSW you have to have a rainwater tank to pass BASIX, and to fill a tank, you need gutters.

I think a gutterless house would look a bit strange. I'm using my gutters to have a contrasting colour (dark grey) against my pale grey bricks and colourbond Dune roof, such that it will be a design feature.

Also they're handy if you're in a bushfire zone to fill with water and stop your house catching fire.
No need for a rainwater tank in Tasmania, although I would still think about using the drianage to collect water for the garden somehow. I'd just prefer to do the 'channeling' work on the ground rather than in the air...

It may be that some of my gutterless desires come from having to climb up on the roof every few months to clear away leaves in a house I used to live in. An awful recurring job, and more useless toil.
My patio has no guttering. I wish it did. The rain runs down the roofing in channels and pours in heavy streams onto the grass. This erodes the dirt and creates ponds.

To catch the water at ground level, you would need a wide concrete channel and grating. Metal guttering would be cheaper and more successful.
Problem with not having gutters is that the water can wet the walls even with eaves - it only takes a bit of wind. Damp could be a real problem in Tas if you let it. frined in NSW had serious damp problems after one of thier gutters blocked up.

As for the leaves in gutters problem, the only way to avoid is to put the gutter mesh which is very expensive if done properly - I know because it is a requirement of my shire and it costs something like $2800 to do. I am hoping that this means that I will never have to get up there again to clean and I should avoid blocked storm drain pipes.

3xb
Drat. All good points. As usual, to achieve decent ergonomics is expensive (ie mesh). I suppose with a single angled 'slab' roof you only need one gutter, but then that determines your house design, and those sort of rooves always look like prime candidates to blow away in a storm...
I have Council (DA) approval for a house with no gutters, with the water being collected in a shallow gravel drain (with an impermeable membrane underneath) draining to an underground water tank. Construction not yet complete.
No more gutters clogged with leaves (and other (unknown)things) nor the risk of climbing up on the roof to clean them out.
Holy thread revival batman - 4.5 years has to be some sort of record.

Back on topic though - how well is the shallow gravel drain going to stand up to a downpour during the wet season I wonder? I suspect you must have a bit of land to work with?
The "revival" comment is noted. But what's the point?
I'm attempting to address a significant issue in a logical, if novel way - at least for Australia.
Currently the lack of collection system is not a problem as we are on sand and it's coped fine with a couple of severe storms to date , as has a nearby house (with no gutters) over the past 5+ years.
This is just another way of skinning the cat and may not suit all applications but wide (900 mm) eaves and ground level collection is easier, safer and cheaper than gutters.
One can only wonder why it hasn't received more attention to date.
I'm happy to provide more details of what's proposed and to subsequently follow up with details of performance when that stage is reached.
In many states you are required to retain and deal with the water that falls on your property. If the block was vacant raid would fall evenly, however when you build a house it funnel's the water.
As you know given enough time, water can errode anything, including things like your home's foundations (both the footings and surrounding soil.)

The short answer is gutter's and downpipe's let you funnel water into water tank's or soakwell's and prevent erosion of the surrounding land. In WA you CAN have a roof without gutter's provided you have a ground water collection system ... gutter's are always used because it is far cheaper.
cmhamilton
Holy thread revival batman - 4.5 years has to be some sort of record.

I think I just woke the baby!
Related
2/05/2023
Preventing rust around steel house posts

General Discussion

You’re on the right track, wire brush in a grinder then a zinc rich epoxy primer then a top coat of some sort, like a waterproofing membrane. Raising the concrete would…

19/05/2023
Excessive piers for a house???

Building A New House

How good is Simeon?! Always taking time to help others out! Wish we were building in NSW and could work together. Thanks for all that you do!

30/06/2023
Looking for house plans improvement recommendations

General Discussion

Really tight at the top of the stairs- how to get furniture into those rooms? Study books - does anyone really use them these days? Large storage closet would be more functional.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum