Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Hallway - how wide?

Page 1 of 1
Finalising custom plan for a long skinny house, and currently hallway is 1m wide - is that wide enough or will it feel cramped? Obviously it would be nice to have it wider, but as the block is on 9.14m wide, we don't have a lot of width to play with.
Any thoughts?
What is your building height? For a 2.4m height ceiling, 900mm width hallway would be good enough (up to 6m in length).
Certainly 1m wide is enough.

I'm not a huge fan of the 900 hallway - does seem a bit cramped. The house we are building had a 920 hallway in the display, we made it just a fraction wider to 1020. Personal preference though - I know someone to have made their 1050 hallway smaller to 900.

If I only had 9.14m to play with....I probably consider the extra 100mm better spent on common areas or bedrooms.
Ceilings will be 2.7m through that part of the house. The hallway will be in two sections, each around 6m or so long (I don't have the plan in front of me at the moment), broken up in between by an open lounge on one side with sliding doors to patio on the other.
hi Spud Mc Doug,

Our hallway is 1.2m wide. I would have liked it wider, but it would have compromised the width of other rooms. I preferred to have the extra space in every other room that goes along my hallway than in the hallway itself.

As well as height I would consider the length of the hallway. Ours is about 9m long. Here is a pic from about halfway down.

just read your other replies Spud. With only 9.14m to play with I would leave it at 1 metre, I think it will be fine. I think 900mm is too narrow. My shower is 900mm and I think that is too narrow, so I think a hallway would definitely be too!
Having a wider hall way looks good but it is useless. Its just waste of area. I guess you would be paying around $1100/sqm for construction by having that extra space you may bump up your budget by $1000. But you said you are having a 2.7m ceiling I guess 1.2m width hallway would be more appealing (if you really don't worry about your budget).
I do think that wider hallways are a waste of space, however I would prefer it to a narrow hallway. I find that wider hallways makes the entrance more grande. Very appealing IMHO.
I would be happy to pay the extra expense to have it a little wider if we weren't so limited in terms of house width - any increase in the width of the hallway would be a decrease in bedrooms. As it is we think we'll take a little width off the master bedroom to make the first part of the hallway a little wider to accomodate coat rack etc, but I'm reluctant to do the same further along the hallway if I can avoid it.
As it is such a long skinny house already, we're thinking about potential resale value down the track as well as living in it in the nearer future. Trying to get a balance of useable space in bedrooms etc vs. not looking too cramped or skinny when you walk in. I certainly wouldn't consider anything less than 1m.
I wouldn't go with anything less than 1m. How is all your furniture going to come into the house ?

Justin.
Related
23/10/2023
Alternative to hallway?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Might cheaper to changer your idea of what makes a home, have you considered building a porch?

21/10/2023
Hallway arch - hoping to make less ugly

Interior Decorating Lounge

at most it will have a short lintel which could be moved up just below the ceiling or even above. Above means you need to patch the cornice and might need to deal with…

9/02/2024
Long hallway lighting suggestions

Building A New House

What? It's a lighting question, the control joint is only needed at 12m centres, a bulkhead or change of direction will suffice as a 'break' in the ceiling, just make…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum