Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Tips on how to get builder to hurry up already?

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

I would be grateful on tips how you got your builder to get a move on with construction. Our timeline has been pitiful to say the least

End Sept08- Building Permit Received
Early Nov08 - Slab Laid
End Feb09-Commencement of frame stage

According to contract, we are suppose to have handover in Aug09...and believe it or not, we are still at frame stage (second floor almost completed) but then again it has been almost completed for the past 1.5 weeks...I don't want to alienate the guy...but seriously...would be grateful for your advise

Thanks in advance. I am grateful to be part of the forum as you are all always more than helpful and kind in your suggestions...
That's not right. What the hell were they doing in the three months from when the slab went down to when the frame was started???

How are they still on the frame?? Is it the world's most complicated structure???

Haywgl's slab went down around the same time as yours and she is heading towards handover.

You're with NBG?? I'd be talking to someone at head office. They could still complete it within contract, but if things til now are any indication.... not looking hopeful.
Oh dear am very sorry to hear about your prolonged delay in the building of your home
What is their excuse for the delay?
Thanks Joles, You're right, I think its time to call HQ tomorrow. All this while we have spoken directly tot eh builder...but this is getting stressful...is it too much to ask for a timeline from till handover with dates on when they're expecting to start and complete each stage ???

Tillie, they took the 19 days off (more like 3 months off) for Christmas....
I think a time line of completed stages is reasonable at this point.
We are also building with NBG (in Kialla south of Shepparton) and had our slab poured on 5th March and as of friday just gone are at lock up. I am so sorry to hear of the slow process of your build. Speak to NBG directly and get some answers. Keep us informed of what happens. Fingers crossed for you.
Good luck with getting some answers tomorrow, as that is ridiculously slow. Damn
and I thought that my builder was taking their time from me signing the contract in October 2008 and then them getting on site in March 2009.
Any other indication of money problems?

NBG tender out their builds dont they?
blessedpeople,

What is your liquidated damages amount? That is, is there much incentive for them to get a move on?

Also, have the progress payments been quite large up front. This is another danger sign.

Cheers,
Casa
just ask them if handover is still as scheduled and if not why not.
Wow that is a while. 3 months off. Wouldn't that be nice. Hopefully you get some answers tomorrow. Good luck
serge44
just ask them if handover is still as scheduled and if not why not.

I'd be worried about asking this question alone. Sure ask when handover is scheduled. But this is not enough. Anyone can say it's still on track and then several months later - oops, we're late. You should be able to get a schedule of when things are happening and then you can check progress on a monthly basis rather than 6 monthly basis.
The problem with NBG is that they subie all their work out so there is no communication between the builder and their trades. My friends subie for them and your situation seems to be the norm at the moment. They have way more work then they can handle at the moment. So i would be annoying the site supervisor as its his fault they are running late, he took on too much work.
Yeah I would ask for the schedule and see what happens.

Did you have a fixed build period? you should.

As your in Melbourne, the penalty for them is $250 per week over the scheduled end date, Im sure you would rather a house, but keep that in mind
Thank you everyone ! Really appreciate your replies!

Casa2 - As we're only at frame stage, all that we have paid is the 10% deposit and for the slab. They still have a ways to go.

Ari-Yes, NBG does subcontract out the work..no other indication of problems except that the builder seems very laidback about the whole thing.

Joles-"Haywgl's slab went down around the same time as yours and she is heading towards handover.
"

I know, how sad is that?

My husband doesn't want me stressing about this and will be following this up tomorrow (his day off). We will keep you posted on the outcome.

Many thanks again to all of you and hope you all have a terrific night!
Did I imagine a painter replying to this thread? The reply is gone???
paintingprofessional
yes i deleted my post, i said that if the contract stated a handover in august, being thats three months away and the home is at frame stage...its quite possible it'll be finished by then. And if blessedpoeple had a problem with waiting until august he/she maybe shouldnt have accepted the origanal contracted date.

I deleted my post because i didnt want to create an argument....however , i do feel that the builder is building the house, within the contracted timeframe so whats the deal ? just because there slow or did take three months of or whatever ,thats there perogative if its in terms with the origanal agreement.

But we all love an argument!!!

Yes that is true and I agree with you. But as most experiences on this forum show, the early part of the build generally goes quickly and then slows. If from here on the build was to progress and be finished in August at the contract time.... no problem. BUT there is a very real possibilty that this is systematic of what could be a slow and protracted build. It's no use blessedpeople waiting til July with limited progress and then saying... "You know what.... you're a bit behind."

I think the issue is that thus far.... the build has been particularly slow. If a time line can be shown that can demonstate how the build will progress from here on in order to be completed by the contracted time all is well and blessedpeople can then know that the build will be finished by how they reach outlined milestones.

They are simply being proactive in their build. As anyone who wants a positive outcome should be.
I think that blessedpeople is aware the NBG does not always finish well. I built with them and the start was fine and the final 10% of work took 5 months- for no good reason at all.

We're all just looking for ways to be in our house on time....

Anthea
I can really relate to this as our start was very very slow and its so frustrating see other houses fly past you. But once we got to lockup it has flown - not as fast as Hagwl's and Mundies but fast enough for me. When I used to go a week without seeing anyone on site I used to ring the builder. Someone would appear the next day. I know my builder does houses in blocks and I think we were ahead of that block and had to wait until the other houses caught up. Maybe ask for a sit down with your builder and draw a time frame and let him know how important it is that you are in by July. Chin up girl!
paintingprofessional
i understand blessedones reasons for concearn i do. I'm also saying that the home can be quite easily finished in three months. so i'am effectively a fence sitter lol

Your words give me hope paintingprofessional!

We are not asking to move in early (although that would be nice) just as per contract.

All your comments and thoughts & advice have all been extremely helpful and helps me feel I am not alone in this crazy/insane journey!!
We have left a message for our builder and if we don’t hear from him today then dh will be following up. I am thinking at this point, it would be best to try and deal directly with the builder first. If you’re going to talk to NBG, it’s almost the same except with a middleman…i.e. you call NBG, NBG calls builder…builder talks to NBG, NBG calls you back…This would be Option B.

Thanks again all of you….i wish we could all meet someday at the park for BBQ….how good would that be ?

Wishing you all a wonderful day with lots of progress on our houses!
Related
8/11/2023
Extending already approved patio

Renovation + Home Improvement

If your patio is going to be 35 sqm then that's going to need Council Approval. The fact that they previously approved your 25sqm patio will be irelevant

30/08/2023
Builder has set mediation with Master Builders GC. Any tips

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. We definitely wish to settle and get these people out of our life. They are trying to charge us interest on late…

6/06/2023
Brick pier replacement methodology / tips

Just be careful with building stability during construction, that is when the structure may be weakened, refer to your engineering drawings for stability methodology.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum