Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

I need some help pls with this plan (getting kitch. to fit)

Page 1 of 1
Hi, we have modified the following plan http://www.hallmarkhomes.com.au/house-plans/ashton.pdf
in such a way that:

- Kitchen moves to the left to MPR, leaving a larger Meals/ Family area
- We cut off part of Bed 3 to extend corridor exiting via kitchen (note: we have increased bed 3 size under eaves)

In the bargain, that meant losing the open plan aspect of the kitchen. Due to re-siting, it now may have to look like :

http://www.imagebam.com/image/24b8e729684471

I have 2 concerns:

a) The protruding bit of kitchen wall at the corridor could look wierd
b) By having both ends of the galley benchtops walled off, it closes in the kitchen making it look very old-fashioned????

Would love to hear from all you lateral thinkers
I don't think it will look as closed in as you think, especially if you use light colours for the cabinetry.

Good luck!
Jolie, If this kitchen move is essential I would put the pantry over next to the oven and leave your open benchspace on the other side ...........
Leave it protruding slightly then you can gain some breakfast bench, although if you have any stools they will be backing on to your corridor.
If you can I would look at moving the kitchen to the back backing on to your room and then a living meals area somehow incorporating your dining into the MPR.......... and giving your self a large living room and just run lots of stools at your breakfast bench for informal eating..................
I am not sure if I am writing what I am invisaging and I am not sure of why you are doing the moves etc so this is what I could imagine with the little nit of info....................
Good luck by the way..................
Jolie,
2700mm width is quite narrow. Benches are 600mm wide, so leaves 1500mm space in the middle. Unsure of what sink you'll use ... my double bowl with single drainer is nearly 1200mm wide. So, beware of the look ... sink can dominate the end of the kitchen.
I don't know the size of your house .. if other rooms are big and wide, your kitchen will look out of place. If other rooms are also on the smaller side, it may be OK.
Just my two bobs worth.
Chris
Thanks for the advice so far guys. The idea behind moving the kitchen is to get very a spacious dining/living area. Nothing worse than not being able to comfortably sit your family/ visitors as well as arrange your sofas the way you want..
As the Bedroom 4/Study on the left has now increased in length, this leaves the meals/ family aka living a length of 8.3metres by 4.6 wide.

The kitchen is the same dimension as the one on the original plan.
Hi I agree about trying to leave the kitchen where it is and opening the MPR up so it is the dedicated meals area and the rest is just family room. You sound like you have kids and I think moving the kitchen isn't going to leave you with much bench space and it is the the one regret I have with my plan (building the Tulip by Burbank in Wallan). I am divorced with no kids and still wish I was going to have more space in the kitchen.
Related
25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

22/12/2023
How to fit mesh fly screen while shutters in place

Windows & Doors

Hello everyone Please advice me how can I install mesh security window or we cab say mesh flyscreen inside while the pvc plantation shutters are already installed? Is…

6/03/2024
How would you fit 2 showers and toilets in this space?

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is the current bathroom with a european laundry. Overall internal dimensions are 3.69 wide and 3.65m deep, including the footprint of the laundry. There is a toilet…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum