Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Question about abbreviation on my plan?????

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

Just warning you this may be a very stupid question!!

On my plan there in an abbreviation AJ does anyone know what it means

you can see it on the plan In front of the porch and on either side of where the garage door will be. They are also round the side of the house. There isnt a legend on my plan that tells me what it is and im just curious.

[img][img]http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/7857/floorplans.png[/img][/img]
IT may be an articulation or expansion joint in the brickwork.
Yep, Articulation Joints. This are vertical lines in the brickwork that are filled with a compressible material.
Thanks
, That makes sense

are they big gaps??? or only a cm ?? cos theyre at the front of the house it might look a bit funny??
I think they are for some sort of joint. We have CJ on ours and hubby said that it was for Crack Joint. Hope that helps
edit
nomad
mellybuilding
Thanks
, That makes sense

are they big gaps??? or only a cm ?? cos theyre at the front of the house it might look a bit funny??

They are just the size of the mortar as they replace the mortar where the expansion joint is, which is 10mm.

OHHHHH thats good, thanks, I was worried they would be 5cm wide or something crazy!!! if its mortar size thats ok.

The stuff they fill it with, is it just like a silicone??? or do they actually fill it??
Yes only small, but they are visible...

Hope you don't mind Bel, I had that link saved to have a sneak peak at my bricks/roof every now and then.
edit
Thanks!!!

Thats really helpful. Those bricks look very similar to what mine will be, so it gives me a good idea of what to expect. I spose it wouldnt be as noticable in darker bricks.

Im a bit bummed they are going to be about 4 at the front of the house though. I read that they use them with reactive clay soils.

My site is an M class. I wonder why I needed so many then??
nomad
mellybuilding

The stuff they fill it with, is it just like a silicone??? or do they actually fill it??

Its normally just a foam infill. Dont worry it looks better than cracked brickwork

TRUE TRUE!! Its still a crack !!!!! just much neater
and wont make your house fall down
mellybuilding
Thanks!!!

Thats really helpful. Those bricks look very similar to what mine will be, so it gives me a good idea of what to expect. I spose it wouldnt be as noticable in darker bricks.

Im a bit bummed they are going to be about 4 at the front of the house though. I read that they use them with reactive clay soils.

My site is an M class. I wonder why I needed so many then??

All houses require them. Its in the BCA. It is usually required to have 1 every 5 meters.
edit
nomad
mellybuilding

TRUE TRUE!! Its still a crack !!!!! just much neater
and wont make your house fall down

It wont look as bad as that photo depicts as most expansion joints are beside an opening which yours are, it will be pretty hidden next to your 1800 high windows I think.

oh yeah your right,

most of them are alongside a window.
The other two are on the other side of the garage, which doesnt really matter

Fantastic, thanks so much for everyones replies.
Rachelle
Yes only small, but they are visible...

Hope you don't mind Bel, I had that link saved to have a sneak peak at my bricks/roof every now and then.

Hahaha when i saw you had posted a photo Rachelle I went, OMG!!! Rachelle's house has started? what have I missed??
haha I wish!!!

We're still in council, prob won't start building for another couple of months.
Try to align your downpipes with the articulation/control joints (those that are not at the end of a window or door)
Casa2
Try to align your downpipes with the articulation/control joints (those that are not at the end of a window or door)

Thats a good idea, They would hide them all then

I wish I had of asked what they were earlier on!!!. They have already done the site scrape on our block and wont allow any further changes to the plan.
mellybuilding
Casa2

Thats a good idea, They would hide them all then

I wish I had of asked what they were earlier on!!!. They have already done the site scrape on our block and wont allow any further changes to the plan.

Moving some articulation joints or downpipes should not be a problem for the builder. In fact, they should (and probably already do) have the articulation joints and downpipes aligned with each other.
Related
25/05/2023
Floor plan review

Building A New House

i thought the flipped plan initially but bec i want narrow pathway from entry to dining (dont like bend), also cannot fit the…

15/08/2023
How hard to change CDC plan for a brick veneer to double bri

Building A New House

depends on your council, some 1 day some 14 days

4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum