Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

General procedure of Handover/Settlement

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Do you know what the general procedure for handover/settlement is. What if there are still defects that have not been fixed, from the first completion inspection?

What do we exactly do at the Head Office, after we meet the CS onsite, other than paying the final payment and collecting keys?

The CS also said something about coming to the house after the head office appointment to check the appliances to be working.

So, do you know what we exactly do? What if the appliances are not working?

Regards
For us, we had our first PCI, then a month later (after promising 2 weeks but thats another story!), we had our final PCI where we met with our SS on site went through what we picked up and signed off.

Usually along side your PCI a Certificate of occupancy will get done by the council, we received a call from our builders head office two days after our final PCI to organise settlement for that friday.

We then went into the office at 9:30am, went into a office, handed over our cheque, we got in return, the thank-you gift from our builder, which was really nice might i add, then they went through what keys were what, gave us some paperwork and we were on our way, 15mins later
woodsey
For us, we had our first PCI, then a month later (after promising 2 weeks but thats another story!), we had our final PCI where we met with our SS on site went through what we picked up and signed off.

Usually along side your PCI a Certificate of occupancy will get done by the council, we received a call from our builders head office two days after our final PCI to organise settlement for that friday.

We then went into the office at 9:30am, went into a office, handed over our cheque, we got in return, the thank-you gift from our builder, which was really nice might i add, then they went through what keys were what, gave us some paperwork and we were on our way, 15mins later

Oooh what was the thank you gift? (and which builder?) I got a cheap arse bottle of champagne from Stockland for signing land contracts, sure it's a champers i like, but still it's too cheap when I've just committed to over $160k -mutter-
lisanne
woodsey

Oooh what was the thank you gift? (and which builder?) I got a cheap arse bottle of champagne from Stockland for signing land contracts, sure it's a champers i like, but still it's too cheap when I've just committed to over $160k -mutter-

it was $imonds in Melbourne, its a box set with really nice salt and pepper shakers with automatic grinding, coffee set, jug, cups etc, all with their name on it, but still quite a nice set! l think a bottle opener too, l havent look at it since l got it, sure that was included too, l remember thinking pity no wine to open it with
Nonetheless, very nice gift
Is the builder informing the council about the Certificate of occupancy ?

And my bank will also need to do an inspection before writing me a cheque, so should they perform the inspection before the PCI? i am not sure who/what should do first, what is the sequence?
lisanne

At least you got something. Delfin offered nothing but a cup of coffee before signing up the contract, go figure
claego
Is the builder informing the council about the Certificate of occupancy ?

And my bank will also need to do an inspection before writing me a cheque, so should they perform the inspection before the PCI? i am not sure who/what should do first, what is the sequence?

for us (assuming it would be the same as we build with the same builder!) the builder organised the Certificate of Occupany to be completed and all information is sent to them, but if you are keen like us, we called the council direct to see when it was booked in firstly, then got them to call us when the CoO was sent to the builder and they even offered to send us a copy to send to our bank! but again $imonds had already sent it to our bank & us anyway!

For us our bank didnt need to do an inspection, l would def get in early, when we were leading up to settlement we were asked if our bank needs to inspection apparently it can take weeks to get them to do it, l'll call them earlier rather then later, you don't want to be delayed because of your bank!

So not 100% sure when you should get them in, but i would think around the same time you are doing your final PCI, because your signing off that your happy, so therefore they should too! but l would still call them and check they are available around the time you are about to do your PCI, also ask, how many days notice you need to give them and let $imonds know so they are aware so they can let you know earlier
Thanks Woodsey

I will have a site meeting this Thursday, so properly can get a good idea of how many more weeks to go, then properly just give the bank a call and check...
Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

13/11/2023
Key Handover

General Discussion

Your house should come in "as new" condition. It should be clean, and without stains

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum