Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Standard Builders Contracts Q?

Page 1 of 1
Well, we've bought the land, finalised a house design we're all happy with, and just need to sign the contract and get started. Our builder has given us the standard Master Builders contract, and the payment scheme seems pretty reasonable, and he's happy for the penanlty clause to be generous enough to fully cover our rent.
Is there anything else we need to look out for, and is it worth getting our solicitor to look over the contract before we sign? We've been really happy with our builder so far, but I'm reluctant to shell out for a solicitor on this if there's not much we can change on a standard contract!
Is the site cost fixed?
the penalty clauses should be carefully noted. In ours, if the builder runs over time, then we are charging $750 per week. We came to this figure because we would be charged interest on our home loan for this amount and the cost of rent we would have collected on our existing home would have been lost because we were still living there. THEN, our builder has a standard policy that whatever our late charges are for him, they are the same for us. But this is not necessarily legal under the Act. They have to demonstrate that they are actually going to make this loss, but I suppose they would be able to so the point is moot. Be aware of your delay fee clauses - just so you know!
Related
31/05/2023
Works Contracts

Owner Builder Forum

MBA and HIA both have sub contract agreements, check them out

3/10/2023
Issues with building contracts

General Discussion

Industry type domestic contracts are prepared by industry bodies for the benefit of the builders. This means that if you are the owner watch out. One of the points is…

27/04/2024
Building contracts

Building A New House

Hello, I am currently working on a study in regards to building contracts in Australia. I would like to interview people with their building experience in Australia and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum