Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Fireplace layout choices

Page 1 of 1
I'm currently deciding on the wall to put in the fireplace and TV in the living area. I'm choosing on the 3 options below. I just plotted the size in Excel so its easier to see... The wall is 4m wide x 2.7m high.

Option 1. The TV is fit snugly on the niche above the fireplace.

Option2. The niche is made bigger and creates a bulkhead with downlight on top. There are also 2 bulkheads on the side to put decors, alo with downligts on top. This is obviously the most expensive option

Option 3. Same as option 1 but the TV niche is similar to option 2 when there is a bulkhead instead of a niche.

Thanks
I would find it annoying to watch TV with a fire burning underneath it. Sorry.

Only a guess but all that heat rising wouldn't be good for the tv itself either.
ok180, I've considered that already and I've asked around in this forum as well... The response was positive that the TV won't be affected by the heat if the TV is recessed back. In this case, it is, because its inside the niche.

I've also considered that flickering fire above the TV as well, but there's a lot of similar setup where people are happy, so I guess the flickering fire won't be much of an issue. Also, this is a gas fireplace, not an open log fireplace.

Thanks.
I would vote for option 1.

I like the simple look and no distractions from the telly by vases and nick nacks either side...

And the fact that niches can be dust collectors.
My vote is for Option 3

Option 2 seems to much cluttered to me.

Moreover i would paint the internal wall in the Niche in a different colour (something dark) which suits the layout and decor of the family room and will also bring out the picture brightness on TV

For eg, i have a open plan kitchen and my family room is attached to the Kitchen, so i will pain the internal walls of the niche same colour as my dark splashback to bring about the harmony in overall decor

But its just me, just my 2 cents worth
I vote no. 1. Clean and simple.
-----------------------------

themax
Thanks everyone. I think we'll be going for Option 1. Yeah, it looks better if its simple. Option 2 is just to cluttered, not to mention too expensive to build.

homeishome, ours is open plan as well and we'll be making the fireplace wall 1 or 2 shades darker than the walls. Our walls would be White Pepper. Fireplace wall might be Raiki (greyish-brown). Our glass splashback will Monsteral Leaf (dark olive green). Thinking if the Mosteral Leaf would look nice inside the niche, or just color it with Raiki as well?

Thanks
Sorry guys, its so tough to decide on the fireplace layout.

I'm looking again on the following 2 choices

1. Fireplace below, TV niche above. My take here is that the TV could be a difficult to hook up with A/V equipment as the niche is covering all the sides. The carpenter has estimated this $750 to build.

2. Fireplace below, Open above with extended wall. Easier TV access with A/V equipment. Most probably a bit cheaper to build. I can also save a bit of wall space with this one. But would it look good/alright?

Hope to hear your suggestions
Related
18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

23/02/2024
Smooth out / remove slate tile fireplace

Renovation + Home Improvement

I would probably render it and then paint it as per your other advice, or gyrpock over the top.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum