Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Costs of building a house?

Page 2 of 2
I haven't included fencing in my pricing either... just wondering without going too off topic how much people have paid for theirs?

My side fences are 31m long and 17m back fence. What sort of price per metre should I be expecting? I cant use any form as timber as it's a covenant requirement either.
chb, yes, good ol Canberra prices are ridiculous
I am constantly amazed (and jealous
) by the prices being mentioned on this site! No way could you build a 29sq house for $260K...! I think you'd be looking at a 19-20sq house for this price...(finished product). If you want to keep it under $200K, your house will be quite small...

As Kek said, depending on where you are building, you can be offered site costs included (for certain class soils) - if the soils end up being outside these classes, then you will get hit with extra costs...also depends on the slope of the land...etc etc

Extras on top of contract prices are *usually* landscaping, floor coverings (except wet areas), window coverings and any upgrades...

We are happy to be building because we are excited about our design and the location of the block we have bought...however if we'd had a crystal ball and known house prices would drop so far...$$-wise, we would be buying established now! (but we already have the land..have signed contracts etc etc)

Bonython does sound expensive! there is some cheaper land Gungahlin-way if you wanted to venture this side of town LOL!
Our house/land package was with fixed site costs and also back and side fencing was included.

The only downfall was we had no choice in the colour for the fencing - as the whole estate was done the same (merino) - perhaps that could be seen as a plus, it does look good all matching.
why is canberra so expensive?? I don't understand the prices there...

wasn't canberra built as a place in the middle of nowhere to hide all our politicians???
[quote]why is canberra so expensive?? I don't understand the prices there... [/quote]

I wish I knew! Have heard excuses ranging from the need to bring in all materials to high demand.... I think it is just because there are high pays here and people do pay the prices! Lack of competition for the builders really...they're all in it together!!

Wakeboardandy, I'll ignore your second comment for the purposes of harmony on homeone..
I think if Canberra was reasonably priced i would stay here and live but the way things are right now its just incredibly unaffordable. More unaffordable than sydney!! There's no reason for it to be as well. I think Canberrian's spend their money too freely lol

haha Gunghalin......nahhhhhh no thanks!! nice place but its too far of a trek to drive from up northh
I refuse to be converted
Although I was thinking about Macgregor.....heard they have some land and home sales.
Related
18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

15/09/2023
Sydney - Inner Suburbs - Boutique Builder Costs

Building A New House

Hi Simeon, PM'ed you the other day. Still waiting >

2/10/2023
Landscaping Options and Costs

Building A New House

Ha all, I am now about half way (maybe a bit more) through my build with Carlisle Homes - double-storey knockdown/rebuild project. So I am now doing my due diligence and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum