Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How long were your plans in council?

Page 2 of 3
We are building with Coral too and have been more than impressed by their service so far.

We are building in the Laidley Shire.

Does anyone know how long plans take to go through council with them??

Hopefully plans will be submitted by end of Jan:)
Same council as RIkster - three months. Still waiting on my modification DA though.

Judie
kyiee81
seakyl, I didn't mean to offend about coral
I had heard a few things, but I am starting to hear great things - same with our builder, good and bad too.
I starting to think though its directly related to how good your site supervisor is

21 days is fantastic!

No offence taken, Kylie
Definately agree about the site supervisor. We also were going to go through Perry homes for our house (The seville 290)but changed our mind just 2 weeks earlier before our house sold.)
24 days with Lake Macquarie City Council. Lodged 16/10/08, approved 09/11/08 and 15 days of that was whilst they were being advertised and neighbours notified etc. Pretty happy as I had heard horror stories with how long the council could take.
Kylie, frustrated is a nice way of putting it!

Our plans went into Singleton Council on Dec 18th and came out last Friday 9th Jan! The council closed from the 24th - 2nd Jan - so they were super super quick!

Well done Singleton Council!

Mez
I wonder if approvals are quicker at the moment due to less applications going in?
Good point od. Ours went in 23 Dec and came out approved on 8 Jan - lighting fast!

Though I think building in an established neighbourhood may always take longer because of neighbour notification and objections.
As with wakeboardandy our's took about 3-4 days just before christmas. We were expecting at least 6 weeks
wakeboardandy
kyiee81
wakeboardandy - 3 days! maybe more people should use private - did it cost anything more to go private?

I have no idea if it costs more.. it is just what our builder chooses to do.. I assume all the major builders would do the same.

It's just how it works in Victoria - generally, only individuals apply directly to the council for building permits, for small things like building a roofed pergola and so on. No builders go direct to council, as far as I know.

Our permit took 2 months, unfortunately, but had nothing to do with council. All the houses on our side of the street were held up, thanks to some excruciatingly stupid administrative problem with the water authority being "unable" to provide sewer diagrams for the easement that runs along the back of our blocks. Considering they only put the damn pipes there a couple of months previously, it doesn't seem like a hard task....

Normal timeframe is within 2 weeks. I'm glad I don't live in NSW... sheesh.
Well ours is still going...we have ticked all the council "boxes" and are now notified that as we are in a foreshore area (not waterfront by the way) we need ward councillor sign off.

Can it drag on any longer
(yes I know it can!
)
2 Days I couldnt believe it !!!!!!!!!
One good thing about living in the country I suppose.
But saying that last time I built 6 years ago they took 6 weeks.
Oh dear Bel, it's going on and on for you.

We are signing papers tomorrow and about to start the Council roundabout, I wonder if our council will be the same.

I hope things speed up for you and they all get back to real work time.

themax
I'm suprised more builders don't use private surveyers rather than the council.. Mine only took a few days..
About 4 months. With a bit of to-ing and fro-ing.
themax I'm sure your plans won't be as long as this......I think Southies were about 6-8 weeks??
How are you going with your council Bel? I hope your DA approval it's nearly ready, you've been waiting too long!

I will be putting the DA soon for Hornsby Council and let's see how long that one takes, the neigbouring blocks (a subdivision of 5 blocks) took nearly 5 months!
I really don't get it why Sydney takes so much longer...
we had ours for 3 months exactly ... we did have the xmas break in between!
themax
Oh dear Bel, it's going on and on for you.

We are signing papers tomorrow and about to start the Council roundabout, I wonder if our council will be the same.

I hope things speed up for you and they all get back to real work time.

themax

8 weeks for us themax - not too bad considering Sutherland's reputation.
Just under 7 months now... Bankstown Council

Related
18/08/2023
PCI - How thorough were you?

Building A New House

We hired Darbecca to do every stage inspection, and I strongly recommend them to anyone that asks me. They were amazing. Thorough reports with photos at every stage,…

11/05/2023
Building duplex at the hills council area

Building A New House

Even if it's not being sub-divided and you want to keep it as Torrens title, you will still need to talk to a town planner or Council themselves, to see if they will allow…

7/06/2023
Renting knock-down rebuild pre council/demolition

Building A New House

We've had the offer of a short term tenant whilst waiting for CDC/DA home approval and demolition for our knock down rebuild. It would achieve a pretty low rent as it's…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum