Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Which Estate? Taylor's Hill v Caroline Springs v Craigieburn

Page 2 of 3
How long does it take for your house mate to get to the city?

We are (hopefully) moving to Craigieburn next year and so far we don't know anyone who lives or going to live there.
We don't head to Watergardens shopping centre often (if we're going "shopping" we'll head to Highpoint), but the recently opened areas have made it much more attractive as a general place to do the shopping, and there are plenty of home improvement places nearby (Bunnings, nurseries, et cetera) so you should be plenty able to shop locally should you desire to do so.

From Caroline Springs, if you wanted to do any serious shopping you'd need to go to Watergardens anyway (the Caroline Springs town centre is little more than a supermarket and a few other shops thrown in).

And the Sydenham train line has improved out of sight in terms of safety over the last twelve months (helped in part probably by higher patronage). Of course, that means that it's now hard to get a seat on the train anywhere other than the first two stations in the morning peak. But it also means that Connex is starting to take the line more seriously (and with the new timetable we even get trains more often than once every 20 minutes during peak hour).
sireza
How long does it take for your house mate to get to the city?

We are (hopefully) moving to Craigieburn next year and so far we don't know anyone who lives or going to live there.

Actually, her husband works in Moonee Ponds...so he drives her as far as Glenbervie Station, then she catches the train into the city from there.

He tells me it takes him 25-30 mins to drive from Craigieburn to Moonee Ponds via Pascoe Vale Rd leaving at 7:15am, and about 30-35mins on the way home after work. I think Pascoe Vale Rd is a lot quicker than Hume/Ring Rd/Sydney Rd etc.

The train from Craigieburn into Flinders St take 41-44 mins
I also voted for Taylors Hill because that's where we're building. At first, we wanted to go for Caroline Springs but the land sizes are a lot smaller. The bigger blocks in CS has a very irregular shape. I also heard that CS has lots of rocks. So site costs would be more expensive.

And as someone else said, Taylors Hill is in the middle of CS and Watergardens Town center, so you have 2 choices on where to do your groceries. There's also lots of plans in further improving Watergardens Town Centre.... like the "Street Eats" where there will be alfresco restaurants and
bars on the streets.

Price wise, i think Taylors Hill has more value for money. Bigger blocks, little bit of slope (ours was 900mm) and only little rocks found. the new houses being built are also very nice. A bit modern and contemporary in style. Suits our taste.

Good luck.
Definitely Taylor's Hill for me.

As for shopping.... don't forget Keilor Downs
..... great butcher, beautiful gourmet chicken shop, nice fish shop and two absolutely sensational continental deli.

When I lived in Hillside I always shopped there.... even though Watergardens was closer.

Jo
has anyone on here built in Taylor's Hill or Caroline Springs? Trying to get an idea of how much I should be expecting to pay for site costs.

I assume it will be H Class slab (isn't everywhere), are there many rocks around?

I am planning on building an Illoura 33 with PD. I have a figure of about 12k that I am allowing for site costs, but hopefully will be less.
Generally the area is known for rocks. I would say caroline springs is worse. I think this is because of the different places caroline springs try to build, ie slopeing underlating land etc.

My belief is that under the area there are rocks everywhere. However if you buy a block that has been leveled by removing soil you then become closer to the rocks. Then you will encounter rocks more easily.

I built a house in Taylors hill, the block that i built on had maybe 2-3 rocks pulled out. The guy on the otherside on the road had at least a truck load. and he only built of waffle slab. I came to the conclusion that this was because his block sits lower which i believe when they developed the land they did a cut so there isnt much different with the guy behid him. ie evened out the slop.

In order words maybe not as obvious you wont know until you start.
I drove in from Craigieburn to Flemington this morning, left at 9.10am..it took me 35 minutes.

I will drive home from work today via Taylors Hill to find out how long it will take.
Sorry, I vote for stay in Hawkstowe and drive a little bit further!
Jas 'n' Rach
I drove in from Craigieburn to Flemington this morning, left at 9.10am..it took me 35 minutes.

Why not go ten minutes further on from Craigieburn and get 1600m2 for $160k?
joles
Jas 'n' Rach

Why not go ten minutes further on from Craigieburn and get 1600m2 for $160k?

Wallan is too far for me...I don't want to be further than 40mins away from work......and Craigieburn is already borderline too far.

Joles, you just want something to have a drink with???

Grace...why you want me to stay in Hawkstowe? It is a lovely estate, but is going to be a little too far to drive. We had a double storey covenent, and we have now fallen in love with a single storey design.
Jas 'n' Rach

Who have you been talking to???

I always want someone to drink with.

Yeah, I was only kidding about Wallan. I really think Taylor's Hill is the best bet.
Have a look at Shannon Rise (greenvale), 2 minute drive to Roxburgh Park train station, 8 minute drive to Tulla freeway. 600-800m blocks for 160-200k. Same as Burnside with people onselling them.

Even cheaper blocks if you go to greenvale lakes (borders Craigieburn).

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rs ... 1229491760

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rs ... 1229491827
At the end of the day it is same as everything in life in that you get what you pay for.

It comes down to what is important to you most. You either live near the city and not have to drive far for work or you, but compromise on either your house or choice of blocks. Or you live further away and comute however the land will be cheaper and you may not have to compromise on house quality. We have a block of land in Diamond Creek, which cost under 200,000 and I work in the city. It takes 35 minutes to drive to work inthe morning and about 45 peak at night, it is not much to pay for raising your kids in a beautiful tree lined area, with plenty of parks and walking tracks, good public transport and great amenities. It would take under 30min from Greensbrough / Diamond Creek to Flemington and there are very good schools for your wife to teach in, as my fiancee does.

Anyway, out of the three i would choose Cragieburn for the following reasons:

1) As you said it is on the train line.

2) The bordering suburbs of the other two are full of crime and drugs, St Albans / Keilor Downs, Sunshine etc. If you want an example have a look at the Sunshine Magistrates Court on any weekday and you will get an idea of the type of people that live in those suburbs. You will probably find after a term that your wife will fill you in from teaching experiences.

Anyway just a thought!!
joles
Jas 'n' Rach

Who have you been talking to???

I always want someone to drink with.

Yeah, I was only kidding about Wallan. I really think Taylor's Hill is the best bet.

I can't vote here cause I don't live anywhere near any of them, I just wanted to say I am always looking for someone to drink with
you should live next door
Thanks SuH, would love to, but I think Newcastle is a little bit far away!

I did a test drive today, from Flemington to Taylors Hill. left at 4.20pm...took my 30 mins. Not too bad.
hunts01
We have a block of land in Diamond Creek, which cost under 200,000 and I work in the city. It takes 35 minutes to drive to work inthe morning and about 45 peak at night,

Just wandering what time you drive into the city and which route you take.. as I will be moving to doreen which would only make 5-10mins difference to get to the big roundabout between diamond creek and greensborough.

I can get to royal park area in 30mins from doreen on the w'ends.. so just wandering what it would be like peak.. if you are talking peak then that would make it 40-45mins for me.

And I voted Cragieburn.. I'm just not a big fan of the west... have friends in taylors lakes, st albans, sunbury.. don't like any of those suburbs..
Hi there,

I usually leave about ten past 7 in the morning and get into the city at about 7.45. Once the ring road is extended to three lanes it will make a huge difference. The time to get home leaving at 4pm is about the same. If I leave the city at 5.00pm then it will take about 45 min. We are actually thinking about moving out to Doreen to rent whilst we build, as we can rent a new 4 bedroom place for only 350.00 compared to a two bedroom unit in Greensborough for 300.

When the Plenty Road extension is finished it should be alright, however from experience going south on Plenty road in the morning in Peak is not pleasant!, would nearly be worthwhile going Diamond Creek Road, and on the Ringer there, although I haven't done it for a while.

Anyway, as I have said before, if you choose to live in a nice area and feel safe and happy, whats 15 - 20 min in the car extra each day!!
hunts01

When the Plenty Road extension is finished it should be alright, however from experience going south on Plenty road in the morning in Peak is not pleasant!, would nearly be worthwhile going Diamond Creek Road, and on the Ringer there, although I haven't done it for a while.

Anyway, as I have said before, if you choose to live in a nice area and feel safe and happy, whats 15 - 20 min in the car extra each day!!

I meant driving down yan yean rd onto diamond creek rd... I assume it wouldn't be as busy as plenty rd...

So I assume you take the ring rd to the tulla and then into the city?
Yes take the ring road to the tulla and into the city.

Depending if you live in the real northern sections of Doreen you might take Bridge Inn road or Gorge Road instead of coming into Greensborough.

Cheers
Related
16/07/2023
Options for Retaining Wall Sloping Hill

Landscape & Garden Design

Howdy all. I am looking for feedback on what people would do to maximise and make an area as flat as possible. First, out the front of the house is a sloping hill, pretty…

18/01/2024
Terry road box hill

General Discussion

I brought terry road box hill in June 2022 House was meant to be completed Nov 2023 That did not happen I had to chase them so much to the land Registration and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum