Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

location of PD's ducted heating vents

Page 1 of 1
Hello one and all

we are building PD brookvale, i have noticed fron the plan (and heard from you fellows as well) that some ducted heating vents are located straight above where the bedheads are going to be in soem rooms.

as in our case, upatairs 2 bed rooms.

i have asked my CSC to change the location of these 2 vents, but got a reply from her this arvo saying that the vents CANNOT be removed.

don't they even just move a position of these vents? i thought it would n't be too hard to do that. it would be annoying if they are right above kids's head.

any experiences of changing their location?

nh
The positioning of vents in our new house wasn't a problem, but in the place we've been living for the past year, the heating vent is directly above our bed. And it's REALLY annoying if you go to bed early (which I often do to get up at 5:00am), while other people are still up and the heating is on.

Ceiling vents are usually carefully placed in relation to the location of the door(s) and windows in the room to maximise efficiency. I'm sure there is scope to move them a short distance, but you may affect how well your heating system works. You also may be restricted by the position of roof trusses - and in a second-storey location, if the ducting has to be run through voids and bulkheads in the plaster, positioning might be limited even further.

Have you explained to your CSC why you want the vents moved? If you have and the answer is still no, ask for an explanation of why. There might be a good reason - and if so, you're entitled to know what it is.
nh
Hello one and all

we are building PD brookvale, i have noticed fron the plan (and heard from you fellows as well) that some ducted heating vents are located straight above where the bedheads are going to be in soem rooms.

as in our case, upatairs 2 bed rooms.

i have asked my CSC to change the location of these 2 vents, but got a reply from her this arvo saying that the vents CANNOT be removed.

don't they even just move a position of these vents? i thought it would n't be too hard to do that. it would be annoying if they are right above kids's head.

any experiences of changing their location?

nh

We are building with PD too. We were allowed to change the position of the ducted heating vent in the master bedroom as it was right above the bedheads(wonder why they position it there?!
)

We did this at tender and added a few more vents during contract.
Hope this helps.
thanks, kek

that is really helpful.

our CSC is stiff by just saying "cannot be moved", don't they know to just explain will help so much?

also anything that i asked about cost, the answer is "you will know at contract"

so I wil probably be able to ask her why at contract only.

don't know who is the customer, looks like the other way around

(enjoyed seeing your house pics!)

nh
thanks, archieein, i don't even knwo i can add more points, does it incur extra cost?

nh
kek
If you have and the answer is still no, ask for an explanation of why. There might be a good reason - and if so, you're entitled to know what it is.

We were told that the positioning is related to optimum performance!
nh
thanks, archieein, i don't even knwo i can add more points, does it incur extra cost?

yes it does incur cost. we were charged around $250 for two additional vents.
We added an extra vent too - I put one in the laundry, so I can get clothes dry in winter.

I also wanted them in the bathrooms, but adding two more points would have meant upgrading to a bigger unit, so we decided to go with heat lamps in the ceiling and heated towel rails instead.
Maybe it depends on what sort of system you're having.....?????????? ( just a guess, as I can't see a reason!) As you know, we have just built the Brookvale, and we changed the duct position for the very same reason! We have refridgerated air con that uses the same ducts as the heating system ....which will hopefully be "commissioned" some time this week!

Hmmm....seems strange....
thanks, Petal, kek and Archieein

it is strange, i must ask, can't see why unless there is structural reason. - and i realised i will add another 2 ducts, petal, one in master bedroom, another in guest suite.

nh
nh,
i'm not building with PD, but we asked our builder about the location of the vents during contract stage.

they said it wasn't final and that the actual location would be decision of their supplier (what's the best location in terms of efficiency).
thanks VJ, i hope PD wil tell me this, i would be at ease.

nh
I reckon thats why they won't let you change - because it's up to the contractor to decide. Either that or it's too difficult to communicate the changes and reliably have them executed. One option could be to arrange to meet the contractor on site with your site supervisor to discuss the change with them.

My understanding is that all heating vents are in front of windows. This is to create a barrier of hot air in front of the area that looses it the fastest - the window.

Cooling vents are generally further inside the room somewhere near the entrance. This is to enable the incomming air to push out the hotter air through an open window (this is assuming an evaporative system).
Thanks, Mozzie for your knowledge - very valid point.

nh
Related
25/03/2024
Metricon stylish aircon vents

Building A New House

retail its around double the price of a similar sized actron/dakin system from memory, They are excellent systems though. But with how builder gouge on AC/heating, you…

1/05/2024
Brick vents to cool the structure and release heat

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

A question if I may, we had our walls (brick veneer) insulated with a blow - in insulation and they seem to retain heat even…

29/06/2023
Location manhole access

Rental Property

do you have a flat metal roof

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum