Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Final Invoice and Key Handover

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

Hoping to get some insight and information regarding a new home build.
I've been told conflicting information and decided to reach out here to get everyone's opinions.

At the moment my new build is at it's final stages. Had the new home presentation walkthrough multiple times due to defects not being resolved. My most recent visit seems to be the final time before the defects have been resolved. During my meeting with the builder it was explained that the final invoice can be paid but the builder will hold on to the keys and not do a key handover until the most defects are complete, and the others which may take weeks to resolve can be done while occupying the home. They explain that paying the invoice is seperate to a key hand over in regards to accepting responsbility.

Can this happen and is this true? I was under the understanding that once the final invoice is paid the builder kind of loses responsibility and it falls on to the owner.

Thank you!
No, when you make the final claim they are required to handover the key, outstanding defects are by appointment.
Jeex
Hi Everyone,

Hoping to get some insight and information regarding a new home build.
I've been told conflicting information and decided to reach out here to get everyone's opinions.

At the moment my new build is at it's final stages. Had the new home presentation walkthrough multiple times due to defects not being resolved. My most recent visit seems to be the final time before the defects have been resolved. During my meeting with the builder it was explained that the final invoice can be paid but the builder will hold on to the keys and not do a key handover until the most defects are complete, and the others which may take weeks to resolve can be done while occupying the home. They explain that paying the invoice is seperate to a key hand over in regards to accepting responsbility.

Can this happen and is this true? I was under the understanding that once the final invoice is paid the builder kind of loses responsibility and it falls on to the owner.

Thank you!

Why do some builders come up with such nonsense and ruin the industry for all the good people.

This is such an insane concept.

I think it would be a good idea to start a thread where everyone can post the most ludicrous things that have been told by a builder.

My favourite so far, is when my neighbours were building their house and had a big drop edge beam at the front of the house in the location of the porch ( around say 1200mm high). When the formwork was removed the waffle pods were exposed clear as day.

When I say they were exposed I mean there was zero concrete coverage, ie the drop edge beam they were paying for was not even poured ( for those who don't know what I am talking about a drop edge beam retains the material under the slab).

Their builder told them that this was standard practice and that their brick steps to the porch would cover this. I don't think it ever got fixed either.

I just don't understand how some people operate.
Hi

Need to read your contract about when final payment is received. Clearly outlines what happens.

In vic, known defects or incomplete work must be completed before final payment. Builder can also dispute your list of items and take to dispute.
Related
21/07/2023
Final Invoice vs OC

General Discussion

Hi, I am approaching end of the build. My final invoice will be given to me soon to pay. Some context before I ask my question. 1. My builder wont do the landscaping or…

13/11/2023
Key Handover

General Discussion

Your house should come in "as new" condition. It should be clean, and without stains

3/10/2023
Final payment for new build in NSW

Building A New House

regardless, your contract stipulates a payments schedule and SOPA doesn't give provision to that scenario. Your contractual terms appear to stand. Hence get a lawyer, it…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum