Hoping to understand the standard process of variation.
I have a house and land package which is closing to completion
- During the contract phase, there was an agreement for a variation on the kitchen benchtop (We agreed to pay additional money for a better top)
- We've recently received an email from the builder requesting more money for the installation of the top by them (in the thousands)
- Some additional info, originally they tried to tell us that the variation-asked-for was 'out of stock'. A quick check revealed it was in stock and they tried to provide us with a lower quality switch
- the installation is by them
- The 'main reason' I am given is because the 'cost of cut and install has increased by 30% since 2021'
Can a builder simply say there's an additional installation cost of thousands for a benchtop. I find it hard to believe that.