Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Electrician has advised Abolishment of old electricity servi

Page 1 of 1
Hey all,

I’ve recently been advised by my builder that when the electrician has tried to activate my service or connect my service, energy Australia has come back and advised that we need to pay for the abolishment of the old service as the developer had failed to remove the old service exactly on my lot.

This was a random old couple that decided to subdivide the lot and sell lots. I purchased mine through a real estate agent in Sydney there are about 18 lots in this subdivision.

I have emailed my conveyancer and I am waiting on a response but it’s been about 1 year since purchase and registration.

I’ve been told I will have to pay maybe 1000-1500 and possibly whatever was on the old electricity meter but there is no reading.

I’ve been told there’s no other way I’ll have to pay it as it’s holding up construction and the builder cannot wait and needs power on-site.

Seeking your advice on what to do.

This forum has been super helpful, just wondering if you guys can help here.
I would contact energy Australia directly. The electricians conversation with whoever he spoke to is like hearsay.

As far as the old meter reading goes, this is likely a guesstimate based on the previous use per day x number of days. If the power was not disconnected correctly what day are they calculating to? Also you don’t have contract with them for the old meter. It would seem odd they you are responsible.

Just remain calm and have patience common sense should come though but it might be a ride of crazy processes along the way.

Related
9/04/2024
Gas abolishment home renovation

Owner Builder Forum

We are about to partially demo our house to begin a major renovation… by partial it almost may as well be a new build (keeping front for heritage) This will require the…

20/04/2024
Gas Abolishment - Brisbane city council

General Discussion

Thanks for your advice, I will reach out to ombudsman

18/01/2024
Do I need an electrician to remove this wall heater?

General Discussion

Just wondering if this is hardwired or can I remove it myself?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum